The Big Squeeze, What They Do'in To Ya

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

The Big Squeeze, What They Do'in To Ya

Post by Doka » 10-04-2013 03:18 PM

The cheap tricks of the game
The games politicians play: Barack Obama is having a lot of fun using the government shutdown to squeeze the public in imaginative ways. The point of the shutdown game is to see who can squeeze hardest, make the most pious speech and listen for the applause. It’s a variation on the grade-school ritual of “you show me yours, and I’ll show you mine.”

“It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

And my personal favorite:
“If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?” the reporter asked. “Why would we want to do that?” Mr. Reid snapped back. “I have 1,100 people at Nellis Air Force Base that are sitting home. They have a few problems of their own. This is — to have someone of your intelligence to suggest such a thing maybe means you’re irresponsible and reckless.” Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z2gmoiDotL Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-04-2013 03:38 PM

and I'll add my own....

If those on leave (slimdown) are non-essentials - then we don't need them anyway...right?? well some of them.

---
"SCHOOL YARD BULLIES!" radio talk show host... "Gee they expel them from school, can't we expel them from DC?"

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-04-2013 04:24 PM

With the exception of a unified military, (and I don't see a problem with division(s) from states), why can't we just abolish all our money going to Washington and have all our "programs" being managed by the states. Let the states decide the amount/percentage, and the level of services which they want to provide.

Also, in my line of business, congress is killing broadcast television with new laws, additional expenses, as well as another channel repack which is being mandated as a means to build out more wireless networks. The repack is expected to take away just over a quarter of the over the air choices in free television. Congress says, don't worry, if you lose your TV signals we'll give you free cable or satellite. (Guess who pays for that?) Having everything on cable or satellite is scarey enough because that can all be turned off by an executive order... but I digress. Since Congress wants all this spectrum for wireless and instant 100mb connectivity from anywhere in the United States, it seems reasonable to me to ask ALL our reps to use that bandwidth, so we can save money. The idea being is all representatives leave Washington and stay in their districts where they "telecommute". This would also give the people the bonus to being able to see their reps vote, as well as see who comes and goes to their office. I think this is a reasonable request.

I think if all of us are sincere and honest, and look at history, you'll see that when government got too big to fail, THAT'S when the wheels came off the truck. We need to take back our sovereign regions from the fed which has no g.d. business mandating laws on regions they don't live in nor know how they work.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-04-2013 04:47 PM

This would be great for those states that have a Republican Governor, if you look up some stats, I think you will find those state are doing better than the Demo run states. I live in Oregon, We have gov kitsenlapper, who is a little runt who makes Obama proud. :rolleyes:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-04-2013 04:57 PM

Doka, no offense, but I don't see a problem with a state with a democrat governor. If the guy, and/or state government turns out to be an asshat, then people will abandon the state or they will rise up. This has always been the case with small counties or jurisdictions.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-04-2013 06:40 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that for the longest time state-controlled government was pretty much the rule for the longest time in this country and it wasn't until FDR that the federally-run programs started to take off....

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-04-2013 07:37 PM

Historically it started to jell together after WW-I, and much of it was due to the fed coming to the rescue of states during the depression. It was Roosevelt and many other politicians that saw a hungry man will swear his allegiance for a loaf of bread, and that's when many states willfully gave the fed the responsibility for social programs. In short, they sold their soul to the devil.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-04-2013 07:53 PM

voguy wrote: In short, they sold their soul to the devil.
Yep, and that's just why you'll often see me playing "devil's advocate" here - NOT because I agree with the folks who've sold themselves out to the state, but only to illustrate how absurd statists can be in trying to 1) justify their presumably well-intended actions, and 2) convince even MORE people to join them on the highway to hell...!!

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”