Do that to me one more time, once is never enough....

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-03-2013 10:58 AM

So, healthcare is moving towards a new coding/ billing system, called ICD-10 coding. Unlike the rest of the world, we'res till using ICD-9 coding. The industry has been working towards or fighting against the 2014 implenetation for a while now.

In this new method, all billing depts need to be what is called "5010-compliant". In a nutshell, this is a Medicare requirement that will allow for the electronic submission, reception and acknowledgement of claims, and electronic receipt back to the originating office that the claim has been received and is being reviewed and processed. If you're not 5010 compliant, you can't submit claims to Medicare - then hence any other insurer.

But, as with any other electronic system, it will be fraught with abuse because as we know, electronic transfers of money usually are. The only difference will be that these abuses will occur much quicker. Yay!!!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2013 11:44 AM

kbot wrote: You'd think a Harvard-educated scholar would know that........
I'd be willing to bet he and his political compadres know very well how government programs have a propensity for excessive weight gain. Thing is, on "Planet Obama" that's the one type of "expansion" you don't want to mention in your sales pitch - Basically, the tact is to avoid anything that makes a mandated program to broaden the coverage base any more of a hard sell than it already is -

Better to sell it to the general public on the merits of how a universal insurance requirement is going to save money in the long run, and how already covered folks will get to keep both the policy and doctor they have. Sounds good, but so much as it has little or nothing to do with reality, the public doesn't have to know that, at least not til AFTER it's too late for having second thoughts, eh?

Folks may recall back when the bill was being put together, there was talk of including a government policy option, along the lines of Medicare coverage, in with all the private plans available through the exchanges. Seen by many as a "foot in the door" for government to overtake the insurance market there was enough push-back proponents backed off, and passed what they could when they could -

Still, with all the "unintended consequences" of the law, it's not hard to imagine an opportunity may well arise for taking another shot at it - if, with the employer mandate already put off for a year, sh!tloads of individuals who've been cut off from coverage by changes in the workplace hit the exchanges, we could easily see the system for subsidizing policies stressed far beyond original expectations.

Not to say pitched even as a "temporary" adjunct solution to serious subsidy shortfalls, offering affordable government polices as a "stop-gap" measure 'til the overall situation stabilizes isn't gonna garner more than its share of criticism - yet it worked for Medicare didn't it? At this point all that's needed is for the Dems to take the House in 2014, folks, and frankly I'm not willing to bet against it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-03-2013 03:30 PM

Riddick wrote: At this point all that's needed is for the Dems to take the House in 2014, folks, and frankly I'm not willing to bet against it.
I wouldn't bet against it either - unless the Democrats do something so incredibly stupid that even their own base turns against them. I think that the Dems are save until the economy totally tanks and all those with their hands out finally realize that the gravy train has stopped and that they're suddenly left to fend for themselves. But, by then, the main actors will have caught planes out of town and flown the coop. Of course, so will the GOP........

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-03-2013 03:57 PM

kbot wrote: I wouldn't bet against it either - unless the Democrats do something so incredibly stupid that even their own base turns against them.

Obama said something recently which could seal his fate. In talking about a striking union he suggested that they all be terminated and new workers brought in. That caused a union official to muse, "I wonder if he ever talked to Jack Kennedy about screwing with organized labor?"
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2013 05:42 PM

voguy wrote: Obama said something recently which could seal his fate. In talking about a striking union he suggested that they all be terminated and new workers brought in. That caused a union official to muse, "I wonder if he ever talked to Jack Kennedy about screwing with organized labor?"
…AND for more on that news story, here's an article all about how

OBAMA SAYS STRIKERS SHOULD BE FIRED!
On October 3, 2013, Obama spoke at a “minority owned” business in Rockville, MD, a DC suburb, and blamed Republicans for the shutdown. It was a sympathetic, mostly Hispanic (illegals?) crowd.. In the category of you can’t make this stuff up, Obama said:
  • If you’re working here, and in the middle of the day you just stopped and said ‘I wanna get something… I’m gonna shut down the plant until I get something,’ you’d get fired!
Wow. Need a teleprompter much? If that poorly thought-out comparison wasn't totally unscripted and off-the-cuff, doesn't ANYONE in the administration bother to look things over ahead of time anymore? I mean, first the Obamacare 800 line 'phonetic' embarrassment, now ANOTHER big F-U, more or less 'spelled out' directly from the horse's mouth?

Now that Barry doesn't need their campaign contributions, I guess unions look a whole lot less like great big sacks of cold hard cash to him.

In any event, here's another case of havin' some splainin' to do. 'Course it'll be some minion doin' the splainin'. Barry's too busy dealing with the shutdown, and besides, a man like him always has bigger fish to fry.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-03-2013 06:50 PM

voguy wrote: Obama said something recently which could seal his fate. In talking about a striking union he suggested that they all be terminated and new workers brought in. That caused a union official to muse, "I wonder if he ever talked to Jack Kennedy about screwing with organized labor?"

Once again, one has to ask "Is this really as educated as he makes himself out to be?"

Riddick
Pirate

TANKS, BUT NO TANKS : Or How to Succeed in Politics Without

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2013 09:25 PM

kbot wrote: I wouldn't bet against it either - unless the Democrats do something so incredibly stupid that even their own base turns against them. I think that the Dems are save until the economy totally tanks
Yeah, the Dems are playing the numbers game. If the economic stats more or less simply hold steady, and they can placate the base by politicizing and poo-pooing any problems with Obamacare they could well stand to see gains in the House AND Senate -

Still, as you say something incredibly stupid could put a kibosh on the whole deal. It's not like Team Obama is incapable of error, is it? But so long as the base can't put 2 and 2 together and get 4, it's kinda like Bud telling Lou how the numbers game is played:

"THE BUM'S RUSH" - An Abbott and Costello Routine, Tailored for Today

COSTELLO: Look at us, Abbott. Just a couple of homeless nobodies riding the rails. How'd that happen?

ABBOTT: You dope! What do you think happened? Didn't I warn you about voting? It only encourages them!

COSTELLO: It don't make no sense Abbott. All our lives we were working hard for good money.

ABBOTT: Oh no no no. I was working hard. YOU were hardly working. There's a difference.

COSTELLO: Hey now Abbott, I was never anything but a loyal worker. Totally dedicated, I was!

ABBOTT: Yeah, dedicated to coming in late, taking long lunches and leaving early every day.

COSTELLO: Listen fella! I wasn't doing anything I didn't see the company bosses doing, and THEY still have their jobs.

ABBOTT: Were the bosses doing all that each AND every day, week in week out, year after year after year?

COSTELLO: No, but like I say, I was dedicated!

ABBOTT Well, there again, it wasn't all just what you WERE doing, it was what you weren't doing. Lazy loafer.

COSTELLO: Can I help it if I have a delicate constitution? If I don't pace myself, I get worn out and laid out flat real fast.

ABBOTT: So THAT'S why you were always sleeping on the job.

COSTELLO: Not always Abbott. Remember when that 2 ton pallet fell right next to me? I was wide awake the whole rest of the day!

ABBOTT: Well, it doesn't matter now anyway. We both got our walking papers. Just two more nameless faceless statistics.

COSTELLO: Speaking of statistics, I want to talk about the unemployment rate in America.

ABBOTT: Good Subject. Terrible Times. It's 7.8%.

COSTELLO: That many people are out of work?

ABBOTT: No, that's 14.7%

COSTELLO: You just said 7.8%.

ABBOTT: 7.8% Unemployed.

COSTELLO: Right 7.8% out of work.

ABBOTT: No, that's 14.7%.

COSTELLO: Okay, so it's 14.7% unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, that's 7.8%.

COSTELLO: WAIT A MINUTE. Is it 7.8% or 14.7%?

ABBOTT: 7.8% are unemployed. 14.7% are out of work.

COSTELLO: If you're out of work you are unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, the government says you can't count the "Out of Work" as the unemployed. You have to look for work to be unemployed.

COSTELLO: BUT THEY ARE OUT OF WORK!!!

ABBOTT: No, you miss the point.

COSTELLO: What point?

ABBOTT: Someone who doesn't look for work can't be counted with those who look for work. It wouldn't be fair.

COSTELLO: To whom?

ABBOTT: The unemployed.

COSTELLO: But ALL of them are out of work.

ABBOTT: No, the unemployed are actively looking for work. Those who are out of work gave up looking and if you give up, you are no longer in the ranks of the unemployed.

COSTELLO: So if you're off the unemployment rolls that would count as less unemployment?

ABBOTT: Unemployment would go down. Absolutely!

COSTELLO: The unemployment just goes down because you don't look for work?

ABBOTT: Absolutely it goes down. That's how they get it to 7.8%. Otherwise it would be 14.7%. Our government doesn't want you to read about 14.7% unemployment.

COSTELLO: That would be tough on those running for reelection.

ABBOTT: Absolutely!

COSTELLO: Wait, I got a question for you. That means there are two ways to bring down the unemployment number?

ABBOTT: Two ways is correct.

COSTELLO: Unemployment can go down if someone gets a job?

ABBOTT: Correct.

COSTELLO: And unemployment can also go down if you stop looking for a job?

ABBOTT: Bingo.

COSTELLO: So there are two ways to bring unemployment down, and the easier of the two is to have people stop looking for work.

ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like an Economist.

COSTELLO: I don't even know what the hell I just said!

ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like Congress.
Last edited by Riddick on 10-03-2013 11:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-04-2013 05:13 AM

kbot wrote: Once again, one has to ask "Is this really as educated as he makes himself out to be?"

He's spent a lifetime making promises and politicking, but as we can all see his promises are not worth the sheet of paper they are written on. I think history will show him as the president who had the most to say about nothing.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-04-2013 06:22 AM

Interesting article written by a radiologist working in Europe, commenting (updating) an article he had writen years ago, comparing European healthcare and the delivery of healthcare in the US.

Only copying a portion of the article, but pay close attention to the last sentance. If this isnn't Obama's and the Far Left's position, I don't know what is.........

"The trend in Europe is similar. Medicine is turning into a for-profit market segment, and radiology is at the forefront, but not the leader.

As a potential patient, I have nothing against paying a fee to fellow physicians that also covers the salaries of their assistants and secretaries. However, I object to feeding unproductive, or even counterproductive, bureaucratic parasites in hospital administration, state health administration, in a grotesque "health" industry and -- above all -- insurance companies and banks. Increasingly and without pity, they bleed sick and helpless people dry -- bye, bye Hippocratic oath; what's left is business and self-interest. And why do U.S. health outcomes lag behind other countries?

As a physician, I think: Why should I fatten an overblown administration with my work? Why should a single medical doctor work to support a pernicious pack of pencil pushers and con men?

The health system in many European countries is better, but for how long? For the U.S., neither Steven Brill in Time Magazine nor Elisabeth Rosenthal in the New York Times offered a solution to this problem. I guess they know why. Personally, I have never been in favor of a state health system, but what the U.S. needs is a state-regulated system with state-set (low) reimbursement ceilings for medical services, a separation of physicians from the health management and insurance business, and a nationwide obligatory health insurance for all. In other words, a revolution that would change the entire social structure of the U.S.

http://www.auntminnieeurope.com/index.a ... mID=608768

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-08-2013 09:56 PM

"There's a danger our fiscal bankruptcy might overtake our moral bankruptcy."
- A Recent Relevant Observation by Mort Sahl, America's 'Forgotten Satirist'

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-09-2013 10:12 AM

EHH the gov't funded Big Bird, but cut cancer research - goes to show just how much this administration cares about people.

Gov't shut down people going to open air museums - but allow illegals to hold a rally in open air national mall.

-- ENOUGH!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-09-2013 10:52 AM

And they cut all "benefits" for a military member giving his/ her life for this country's wars. Do they REALLY want to do this? It' an all-volunteer military, and now because the government's acting like a bunch of spolied kids they won't pay for the funeral, transport of the body, etc.

But, that's our commander-in-chief for ya. Absolutely NO comprehension of what it is to be eitehr military or military-dependent.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-09-2013 01:00 PM

Riddick,

This supports the "he needs to speak from a teleprompter" comments. Prior to his first election folks thought he was magical, but no more. When he is speaking candidly - he sounds like a disgruntled teenager boy who can't seem to figure out how to get his way.

Example: His press conference of yesterday - I listened to him in it's entirety. It is embarassing how immature and petulant he is.

The job is too big for him.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-09-2013 04:54 PM

Diogenes wrote: Riddick,

This supports the "he needs to speak from a teleprompter" comments. Prior to his first election folks thought he was magical, but no more. When he is speaking candidly - he sounds like a disgruntled teenager boy who can't seem to figure out how to get his way.

Example: His press conference of yesterday - I listened to him in it's entirety. It is embarassing how immature and petulant he is.

The job is too big for him.
Short on qualifications much? Yeah, but that didn't stop his boosters in the Democratic Party from pushing him right to the top of the ticket more than a half decade back - And so much as electing him WAS so nice? The country did it twice.

Not to say his shortcomings have gone unnoticed and unvoiced, if anyone's cared to listen that is. As it is Mort Sahl has made his share of observations on our ever less magical as time goes on chief exec -

"Ron Paul is a breath of fresh air. Obama is a breath of Carbon Monoxide."

"Obama says his recreation consists of reading the Constitution…looking for a loophole."

"When Iranian President Rouhani called Obama to agree to his terms, a peace scare broke out in the White House."

""Obama said he went to Libya because of his conscience. Did anyone ever wrestle with his conscience and lose?"

"Obama criticized Putin for the PussyRiot verdict. If they did it here, he'd put them in Guantanamo."

"Obama ran on closing the Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp. Now he's expanding it. I don't want a 20K rebate from Obama. I want a refund."

"Obama will not close Guantanamo. He knows he's got you anyway."

"Obama wants all the facts in the IRS and AP case so that he can deny them."

"During his marriage ceremony, Obama said, 'I would, but the Republicans won't let me.'"

"Somebody should point out to Oprah that a butler does more in the White House than Obama does."

"When Obama took the Oath of Office, the liberals looked at him in disbelief. It's the way I still look at him."

"I feel helpless in the face of the government. Now I know how Obama feels."

"Obama is not a magician and we don't believe in magic. How can the show be any good?"

"History will remember Obama as the one guy who sold out when nobody asked him to."

"30 second quiz for the Democratic Party: What does Obama believe in? Pencils up!"

"Obama wants to stay the course, but he flunked the course."

"Will Obama improve? He hasn't got the Constitution for it."

"I'm not a Republican but Obama could make me one."

"The score with Obama is 4-0. He has four years of our lives and we have nothing."

"Regarding Obama: There’s something worse than being hopeless; it’s having your hopes raised and dropped to the ground."

"When Obama ran, he said, 'We can change the world!' The world: 'CAN YOU CHANGE IT BACK?!'"

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-09-2013 05:05 PM

So, when will the Thought Police be unleashed?

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”