It's in the Bill. (Obamacare)

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-29-2013 05:57 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I have had to cut all of my PT associates down to a 28 hour maximum per week, and also all of our PT associates healthcare coverage will be cancelled at the end of the year due to no longer being plans recognized by the government under the Affordable Care Act.

What amazes me in speaking to people (virtually everyone I work with is a Democrat who supported Obama btw, this is NYC after all), they have little to no idea about what is coming with the Affordable Care Act. Very few realize that they will be required to purchase their own insurance or face penalties. Very few realize the time frame this is on. The shock will be minimal penalty wise in year one, but look at 2015. There are a lot of people in for a rude awakening, people already suffering due to loss of hours and pay as a result of ACA restrictions.

It has struck me that the people I know who are most educated on ACA are the most opposed, those who have little to no idea about how it works, and what the overall plan is seem to be most in favor of it in a talking point kinda way.

You've got it about right Kaz. For at least a year now a number of the larger businesses (think Walmart) have been scaling-back employees hours in order to get under the maximum limit set by Obamacare. This is translating into loss of jobs or hours. Now other sectors starting to affect all areas of the economy are being affected. Add to that the sticker shock that people who still have insurance are starting to get hit with as heir premiums increase.

I think that the Democrats will eventually be seen as the party that expanded the war on the middle class.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-29-2013 06:02 PM

voguy wrote: Very simple, when ones income is less than their expenses, or when provided a plan which is like dealing with Walmart expecting precise perfection, the end result is a diminished level of care.

I'm sure you don't mind, but if I need medical assistance due to a critical issue, there are two things I desire. First is the expediency of care. I don't want to be in a line waiting till they filter down to me, or have someone not trained in medicine deciding if my issue is "life threatening" or making judgement on my issue. Second, I don't want a doctor who is stressed, and limited by his choices of they types of care as provided by a blanket of considerations in a bill. We've already seen doctors bailing out of GP and ERs, and there doesn't seem to be too many wanting to come into that form of practice.

If that's the kind of medicine you like, then have at it. Sign up, wait your turn. For me, first I don't like the fact that my government is forcing a law on me which says I have to by their goods and services. But more so I'm not keen on the items in the bill which state how patient care is provided.

And here's the problem - millions added to the rolls of the insured with no appreciable growth in the number of doctors. So, these newly-enrolled patients will have to do what they have always done in the past - go to the ER.

Our new ER - more than double the size of the old one, has patient wait times over an hour of two not being uncommon. Many patients are being held in ER beds because they have psychological issues and it is not uncommon to see behavioral patients taking an ER bed for over eighty hours.....

Also, many patients who now have insurance, and are homeless or just poor, have learned that they can go to the ER, get some rest, get fed and get discharged. We see this frequently with the same patients coming-in because the have no place to go. This used to happen a lot before, but now that they have insurance, it happens much more frequently.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-29-2013 06:32 PM

So, would you believe in taking a late-lunch look at WSJ dead-tree editions from these last some days at the local McDoogie's, along with an article citing the significantly less than stellar roll-out of on-line SW signup systems, one opinion piece went into how unprecedentedly "unclear" the goings hereon for Obamacare will be? A quite charitable estimation, I would say, compared to some evaluations I've seen (and for that matter have suggested myself).

OTOH, for some weeks now SE WI's free weekly woody, Milwaukee's progressively propagandist Shephard Express, has taken great strides to suggest nothing BUT a better world for all and the greatest of success being a foregone conclusion - that is provided people hereon make "rational" decisions concerning insurance and heath care choices -

If you're wondering what their definition of "irrational" decision-making is? It's basically this: If you DON'T like what comes of the Obamacare roll-out, you're clearly a candidate for a complete and thorough head exam along with a major course of cognitive behavioral therapy at their Institute of Advanced Compassionate Collectivist Thought.

Thing is, like most ailments of the mind, the only way clear to a sure cure is for the patient to admit they have a problem. Once that's done, then the work of cleaning one's brain of all the depraved thinking that's kept them from being a truly civilized individual who knows doing right by all for the greater good is the only way to go can begin.

Enlightened self-interest is NO special interest, folks. Instead of making it all about you, enhance your decision-making by incorporating concern for others. All papers like the Shephard are trying to do is show you the way, but the route you take from hereon is entirely up to you. See the light or walk in darkness, it's your choice folks -

Not to say it's not a long road ahead in any case - Truth is, there IS no "quickie" Nirvana, but if everyone can forget the road to hell is paved with good intentions, there may be hope for America yet!

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”