It's in the Bill. (Obamacare)

Moderator: Super Moderators

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 09-28-2013 01:09 PM

I have had to cut all of my PT associates down to a 28 hour maximum per week, and also all of our PT associates healthcare coverage will be cancelled at the end of the year due to no longer being plans recognized by the government under the Affordable Care Act.

What amazes me in speaking to people (virtually everyone I work with is a Democrat who supported Obama btw, this is NYC after all), they have little to no idea about what is coming with the Affordable Care Act. Very few realize that they will be required to purchase their own insurance or face penalties. Very few realize the time frame this is on. The shock will be minimal penalty wise in year one, but look at 2015. There are a lot of people in for a rude awakening, people already suffering due to loss of hours and pay as a result of ACA restrictions.

It has struck me that the people I know who are most educated on ACA are the most opposed, those who have little to no idea about how it works, and what the overall plan is seem to be most in favor of it in a talking point kinda way.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-28-2013 02:18 PM

I think it's safe to say that Obamacare was an idea presented to the public as a solution to a problem, and a way the politicians can be seen as the benevolent party who wants to help you. What the population forgets is government can't give to anyone anything that it doesn't take away from someone else. You want "free" healthcare? It's not really free. Someone has to pay the doctors, staff, and administration costs. And where does that money come from so you get it free?

A lot of companies are in the process of changing. Some of the those things being considered are as Kaz alludes to, the lowering of hours for part time. Some companies are looking at turning all employees to contractors. The person gets paid more, but now they have to pay all their benefits. The result is a net loss. And still more companies are just paying the fine, and telling the employee to go figure it out.

Can you blame a company? No. Companies like the one I work for are maxed out with what they have to pay. I complain about taxes at times, but some companies, (like ours), and beaten down by taxes and increasing healthcare attacks.

Whats happening is in the same way industry has left our nation, so will the benefits an employer provides as well as the medical care we had access to.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-28-2013 05:17 PM

So, lesee now... as becomes all too apparent we've got
  • Lotsa employees having their hours cut from FT to PT, in the process losing benefits and as part of that NOT only healthcare coverage (not to mention a noticeable reduction in income)
  • Companies switching employees over to contractor status, again meaning a loss of paid benefits and net income
  • Workers finding their employers deciding to pay the fine, subsequently dumping their employees onto the exchanges
  • Young adults 25 or under living at home who MAY be covered under their parents' health plans PROVIDED their parents still have health plans after any or all of the preceding WITHOUT having to go to the exchanges
  • People going to the exchanges and finding out their income is still too high to qualify for subsidies
  • Cancellation of many existing policy plans, due to non-compliance with requirements of the PPACA
...And exactly how, one may wonder, is THIS all going to end with FEWER people going without health insurance coverage? I'll say this much, so much as there's people of low-to-modest income who don't qualify for Title 19, and folks who've otherwise been unable to get insurance due to pre-existing conditions, I can see Obamacare may yet find ways to open doors in those cases -

OTOH, for all the openings it appears there's MANY more closing for people who, up to now, keeping coverage wasn't that big of an issue - With any number of people effectively "put out on the street" as it were, ineligible for subsidies or otherwise shut out of the exchanges, the public-at-large may come to find the highly-touted "affordability" aspect of Obamacare isn't all it's cracked-up to be.

How's a middle-class family of four supposed to absorb an extra 9 grand a year in insurance expense? And that's not including the likewise enormous out-of-pocket outlays due to higher deductibles and co-pays... Don't think that's just around the corner? Fine. Just keep thinking that - BUT when you DO come to see how we've been 'set-up', don't come back and say you had no warning.

At this point, the way I figure it? The plan is and always has been to implement Obamacare, and let the chips fall where they may - If it doesn't work as advertised, you can be sure it'll be the fault of everybody BUT the implementers - And thus, comes the point of epic fail, the answer to any or all problems with the system in place will be obvious: "It's the Private Economy, Stupid!"

In no time at all after that the PPACA will be super-ceded by a single payer system, which is what we should have had in the first place but couldn't 'cause the public wasn't ready for it yet... Goodbye 'Phase 1' Obamacare, Hello 'Phase 2' HillaryCare!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-28-2013 06:43 PM

Riddick wrote: And exactly how, one may wonder, is THIS all going to end with FEWER people going without health insurance coverage?

Very simple, when ones income is less than their expenses, or when provided a plan which is like dealing with Walmart expecting precise perfection, the end result is a diminished level of care.

I'm sure you don't mind, but if I need medical assistance due to a critical issue, there are two things I desire. First is the expediency of care. I don't want to be in a line waiting till they filter down to me, or have someone not trained in medicine deciding if my issue is "life threatening" or making judgement on my issue. Second, I don't want a doctor who is stressed, and limited by his choices of they types of care as provided by a blanket of considerations in a bill. We've already seen doctors bailing out of GP and ERs, and there doesn't seem to be too many wanting to come into that form of practice.

If that's the kind of medicine you like, then have at it. Sign up, wait your turn. For me, first I don't like the fact that my government is forcing a law on me which says I have to by their goods and services. But more so I'm not keen on the items in the bill which state how patient care is provided.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-28-2013 10:13 PM

And Now, on the Eve of Implementation:

An Important Public Service Message
Courtesy of Your Friends in The Current Administration
(aka The NEW "Good Hands" People)

So with regards to Obamacare: you say when you've got a critical health issue, you want quality care when you need it, AND you don't want someone outside the profession passing judgment on any or all that?

Well, you wouldn't believe how glad we are to find THAT out. Why didn't you speak up sooner folks! We'll be perfectly happy* to accommodate your requests. Just say the word, and we'll fix everything up for you, just like that** and no questions asked***. Have no fear folks, you're in good hands**** with Obamacare.
--
* When we say "perfectly happy", we mean we'll only do as much as it takes to make you THINK we're actually accommodating you, just to get you off our backs.

** When we say "just like that", we mean when there's people ahead of you (as will no doubt be the case), we'll get to addressing any and all your concerns just as soon as we can. Meanwhile, you may want to get a head start on making funeral arrangements.

*** When we say "no questions asked", we mean if you ask questions, we reserve the right to totally ignore you and go right ahead and let the bureaucracy pass judgment on you, which is what was going to happen anyway.

**** When we say "good hands", we mean how we pat ourselves on the back for the good job we've done selling a bill OF goods, promising the world and delivering next to nothing with a "fix" that's mostly nonsense.
---

If it's any consolation, you're not being singled out. Nobody gets special treatment. That is, of course nobody except members of the ruling class who automatically qualify for a policy signifying their VIP status...
  • So you're in need of urgent care and don't want to wait? Worried you may have no choice in the matter? Well, wait and worry no more! Your continued good health matters to us, just as it should. A long and happy life for you is exactly what we want to see -

Never, EVER waste precious time dealing with office or hospital staff! There's no quicker way to show everybody and their brother how important you are, and no better way to assure you'll always get the exceptional care you deserve with absolutely no wait time at all.

If that sounds good to you then DON'T wait around! Go to RulingElite.com and sign up today. (Minimum income, asset levels and other restrictions apply.)

The 'Go to the Head of the Line' Card: Don't leave home without it.
Last edited by Riddick on 09-29-2013 02:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-29-2013 05:27 AM

Oh well. Have a nice life. ((plink))

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-29-2013 10:14 AM

kbot wrote: The GOP "invasion" of our personal lives will pale by these standards. That the Left is supportive of this shows just how much Kool Aid they've drunk.

The Left is all about "choice" as long as you choose whatever it is they are peddling this time for everyone else's benefit.
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-29-2013 10:18 AM

voguy wrote: What concerns me the most is the state coming in to homes with special needs children to take them on the premise that they can help them more than their parents.

No surprise as look at how the state has been operating relative to the public school system. They have taken over in areas which should be left to the parents under the guise "we know what is best".

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-29-2013 10:19 AM

voguy wrote: What concerns me the most is the state coming in to homes with special needs children to take them on the premise that they can help them more than their parents.

No surprise as look at how the state has been operating relative to the public school system. They have taken over in areas which should be left to the parents under the guise "we know what is best".

Why do you think they typically fight the voucher system? Unions first and control second.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-29-2013 10:31 AM

voguy wrote: Very simple, when ones income is less than their expenses, or when provided a plan which is like dealing with Walmart expecting precise perfection, the end result is a diminished level of care.

I'm sure you don't mind, but if I need medical assistance due to a critical issue, there are two things I desire. First is the expediency of care. I don't want to be in a line waiting till they filter down to me, or have someone not trained in medicine deciding if my issue is "life threatening" or making judgement on my issue. Second, I don't want a doctor who is stressed, and limited by his choices of they types of care as provided by a blanket of considerations in a bill. We've already seen doctors bailing out of GP and ERs, and there doesn't seem to be too many wanting to come into that form of practice.

If that's the kind of medicine you like, then have at it. Sign up, wait your turn. For me, first I don't like the fact that my government is forcing a law on me which says I have to by their goods and services. But more so I'm not keen on the items in the bill which state how patient care is provided.

VO don't you understand??????

Because we are a benevolent people we had to do this for the supposedly 30 million uninsured poor souls. Every one one of these folks did not have insurance because they could not afford it. Not because of bad choices or poor judgement or anything else. Their not having medical insurance was completely out of their care, custody and control.

As long as we keep the DC folks in fine health care so they are able to make these decisions for us, the rest of us who paid for and had fine health care should be happy to continue paying and now receive mediocore health care, thus incorporating the 30 M uninsured in to the 335 M insured.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-29-2013 10:32 AM

Kaztronic wrote: I have had to cut all of my PT associates down to a 28 hour maximum per week, and also all of our PT associates healthcare coverage will be cancelled at the end of the year due to no longer being plans recognized by the government under the Affordable Care Act.

What amazes me in speaking to people (virtually everyone I work with is a Democrat who supported Obama btw, this is NYC after all), they have little to no idea about what is coming with the Affordable Care Act. Very few realize that they will be required to purchase their own insurance or face penalties. Very few realize the time frame this is on. The shock will be minimal penalty wise in year one, but look at 2015. There are a lot of people in for a rude awakening, people already suffering due to loss of hours and pay as a result of ACA restrictions.

It has struck me that the people I know who are most educated on ACA are the most opposed, those who have little to no idea about how it works, and what the overall plan is seem to be most in favor of it in a talking point kinda way.

Well no DUH.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-29-2013 10:55 AM

Diogenes wrote: Why do you think they typically fight the voucher system? Unions first and control second.

Money.

I think the educational system is like any typical government office where there is a mandate to exist, but no performance or need to fulfill a service. The rules which govern the educational system exist solely to provide a service and revenue stream to those running the schools, and not to provide a better education.

If we wanted, (and by "we" I mean citizens and school administrators), to increase the efficiency and education of our students, we have the ability. What we lack is the will. The teacher's union, IMHO, is similar to the dock workers union, or the old Teamsters. It's about the union, and not about improving anything we would like.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-29-2013 11:04 AM

Diogenes wrote: VO don't you understand??????

Because we are a benevolent people we had to do this for the supposedly 30 million uninsured poor souls. Every one one of these folks did not have insurance because they could not afford it. Not because of bad choices or poor judgement or anything else. Their not having medical insurance was completely out of their care, custody and control.

As long as we keep the DC folks in fine health care so they are able to make these decisions for us, the rest of us who paid for and had fine health care should be happy to continue paying and now receive mediocore health care, thus incorporating the 30 M uninsured in to the 335 M insured.

Yeah, I'm just a mean old son of a beach who doesn't want government either taking more from me than they already have been, or playing "doctor" with my healthcare. The big problem with this is not that I don't want the 30-million uninsured not to have care, its that I'm being forced to something other than good, reasonable care on the premise that I'm to join the nation in taking on the responsibility for 30-million people. And I might add that I'm doing so while my reps exclude themselves from the responsibility. If our reps really cared about helping people, they would lead by example, not by force.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-29-2013 11:55 AM

Ignore the site, just watch the SNL video. Warning to my liberal friends: Do not click, as those who have as leaders will find out, round you up, and send you to a concentration camp. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Bush's fault.
Last edited by voguy on 09-29-2013 01:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-29-2013 12:45 PM

It's great to want to have on-board accommodations available for everyone for the trip. Trouble is, to make room for 30 million new spaces instead of doing a bit of re-arranging and/or re-modeling to pick up more folks over time, they went for the total make-over all at once with no real plan other than to say, "Trust us, we know what we're doing."

Yeah, they sure did didn't they? All in all, seems to me this was always more about totally "re-inventing the wheel" than repairing one that had a few bad spokes - And now this is what they call going forward? Nothing at all smooth about THIS trip ahead! I suppose those 30 mil were used to an extremely bumpy ride, now everyone from hereon gets a feel for what that's like.

I know sometimes it makes sense to go back to "square one", but did they have to do it so literally??

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”