Let's go Truckin'

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Let's go Truckin'

Post by voguy » 09-19-2013 05:01 PM

LINK

1 Million Truckers To Protest Obama By Shutting America Down

One week after nearly a million patriotic bikers converged on Washington, D.C. for the 12th anniversary of 9/11, a large group of truckers has announced its plans to halt commerce across the nation for next month. The strike is planned as a response to D.C. “corruption that is destroying America,” according to the movement’s Facebook page.

Organizers say that truckers taking part in the strike will not haul freight for three days, beginning Oct. 11. A social media campaign launched earlier this week has already garnered tens of thousands of supporters.

The event is set to include a convoy to the nation’s capital, and early feedback shows that many drivers are eager to join the movement.

Photos of trucks and drivers planning to take part in the event are consistently being posted to the Facebook page, “Truckers to Shut Down America,” and many who cannot join are pledging to keep their rigs parked during the strike.

If successful, the strike could result in significant gridlock — both on the streets of Washington, D.C. and between points of delivery throughout the nation.

According to the movement’s social media administrators, the three-day strike hopes to accomplish three specific goals. In addition to interrupting truck deliveries and engaging in the trucker convoy, organizers hope to elicit support from the general population.

Calling for a general strike among American citizens of all stripes, the final objective is “No shopping. No paying bills. No using money for three days.”

Unquestionably a lofty goal, a large number of Facebook users seem inclined to take part.

“Thank you Truckers for speaking for all of us,” wrote one supporter.

Many contend that any initial sting from missed deliveries is a small price to pay if the federal government actually hears the message.

“I can survive just fine for 30 days or however long it takes to restock after the shutdown,” another poster stated.

It remains to be seen whether this movement will succeed in opening the eyes of those in Washington or be largely ignored (a la the 9/11 biker rally.) One fact is indisputable, though: millions of Americans — bikers, truckers, and everyone in between — are fed up with the status quo in the federal government and are prepared to go to great lengths to preserve this great nation for future generations.

Public rallies against our corrupt leaders are becoming a common occurrence, and this planned strike will surely not be the last such outcry. Barack Obama made good on his 2008 campaign promise of bringing change to America. Grassroots outrage among patriotic Americans is the first step toward finally changing the nation back.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-19-2013 11:36 PM

The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-20-2013 08:59 AM

Breaker breaker - what's your 10-20? Got us a Convoy headed to DC.

YES, around 25 locals will be going...could be even more..but that was around the amount quoted over local talk show (Afternoon) of callers who planned to go. By end of the show they had closer to 40 truckers that had called. Be interesting to see if more have called as they left a special line for them to do so.

The other question asked was to make sure grocery type trucks were delivered before joining convoy group -- still waiting to hear on that one, as they did say of the ones who called - none were perishable food types.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-20-2013 09:49 AM

"The great Rubber Duck sorta run outta luck, when he crossed that final bridge."
Too bad it's not the 1970s anymore. That would have been a pretty great time for the "Tea Party" types to have pulled their collective heads out of their rectums. Instead, people talking about tax resistance, questioning the size/intent of government, or generally proposing various "conspiracies" in the '70s were marginalized and branded as kooks. It was pastor Martin Niemöller's scenario all over again. I saw this first hand as a kid, hanging around with my father and his ... associates.

Forty years ago the world was a different place. Deregulation (purposely) killed independent truckers like those in the video above in 1980[0], to prevent more of the mid-scale revolts that actually occurred due in part to the impact of pop culture glorification of trucking. The industry is now consolidated into huge corporations (in bed with .gov), and debt riddled "owner operators" - most of whom are contracted to huge corporations.

Convoys are illegal in almost every state[1], and believe me, the same 'police' we saw in Boston looking for the teenager will be deployed against truckers and bikers - despite the gratuitous display of flags and eagles... the very devices used by the 'enemy' to control our sense of loyalty. I predict this 'revolt' will be similar to the 'protests' in 2008 by truckers over fuel prices[2]. Don't remember those convoys and stoppages? Why should you - they were 100% ineffective, and in fact brought the 'enemy' increased revenue in the form of fines for traffic violations. Fuel is still insane here, crude is still a rip-off con job, continually perpetrated on us by our profiteering 'leaders'.

We're going to have to drop the notion that men with loud machines on the 'open road' are rebels who will 'save' us. They will do no such thing - they can not. These drivers are licensed (read: given permission to engage in the 'privilege' of driving... oops!!!)at the whim of the 'enemy', the machines are sold to the drivers by corporations in bed with the 'enemy' & registered (read: given permission) by the government, they need fuel regulated & delivered by the government, they operate on roads built and patrolled by the government (did you know the Eisenhower Interstate Highway System was built primarily to facilitate military mobility, and the rest stops can quickly be converted into barricaded check points? I have seen them converted, and they are very effective[3]), and these drivers organize and communicate on platforms (the internet) wholly controlled and owned (as in 'pwned') by the very same 'enemy' government.

Independent truck drivers are small business 'owners' - they're in debt up to their eyeballs, and many of them don't own the machines they drive. Huge global banks own those assets, and I bet they will be on the side of the government, just like Exxon, Craft International, etc. My sister and brother-in-law currently run a trucking company and they likely will not be risking their long term contracts with freight stoppages, or risking their $250,000/semi assets, and operating authority in a symbolic convoy. They can't, mainly because their CPA advises against it, but also because like 99% of America they are not mentally prepared to lose it all and be put out in the cold over an ideological difference. Are you?

We're going to have learn what effective revolt looks like. Hint: it will not look like any Hollywood movie.

0. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Carrier_Act_of_1980

1. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21704.htm , http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21705.htm

2. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23903144/ns/b ... jxWdcZworU

3. http://www.tea.army.mil/dodprog/hnd/systems.htm , http://www.transcom.mil/dtr/part-iii/chapters.cfm , http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... y/ndhs.htm "The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways consists of limited access facilities of the highest importance to the nation and are built to uniform geometric standards. They connect, as directly as practicable, the principal metropolitan areas, cities and industrial centers and provide important routes to, through and around urban areas. They serve national defense purposes and connect at border points with Canada and Mexico along routes of continental importance."
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-20-2013 11:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-20-2013 10:09 AM

We're going to have to drop the notion that men with loud machines on the 'open road' are rebels who will 'save' us.

If my motor can't save us, what can?

You guys need to start protesting for real. This kind of farce show of dissent is made for TV, not for actually changing anything (and that is why it is allowed to happen).

The biker thing was a complete failure on every level, and it just made both the bikers and Americans look dumb to the world (again).

I feel for you, government is full of crooks, the system is falling apart, the dream is dead. However, driving somewhere is not going to help this, unless it is driving out of your country to somewhere else.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-20-2013 10:34 AM

A little bit of context:

The trucking culture of the 1970s - with all of it's non-conformist, counter cultural blue collar imagery had a deep affect on me as a child. I still remember how, in the 1970s the 'independent working man' generally seemed pitted against the establishment - personified by not only truckers, but 'high steel' iron working 'indians', Alaska pipeline welders, commercial fisherman, Canadian log scalers, and many others. I wanted to be one of those guys too.

This is a photo of myself, as a teenager in Wyoming. I bought my first truck there, and formed a firewood hauling company at age 19 - two years before I could qualify for an interstate license. I couldn't wait.

Again at 21, working my first coast to coast job for Builders Transport.

There were more trucks, and more photos.

Reality on the 'open American road' was different. I hit the highway with a freshly minted Kansas issued 'CDL' in 1993. Even in '93 it was no longer the 1970s. You were going to do it their way, or you were going to park it. Sleep when they say sleep, pay when they say pay. Got a few red ants crawling on your deck? Pull in for a full inspection - might have to pay some fines, then turn around and take it back to AZ.

Within five years of 'giving them hell' - like making them land an aircraft in a Texas speed trap operation in order that my ticket be signed by the witnessing officer (which cost me additional fines and two more hours of my time), I was on the ropes. I was topped out on 'points'. They sent me a notice that my license was revoked.

That's when I discovered California's secret 'DMV Court' where obscure, un-elected, unaccountable monkeys pass down 'judgement' on working stiffs. I fought them there too. By the time I was done, the 'judge', a heavily sweating guy behind a huge desk wearing a cheap button down shirt and poorly tied tie, was ready to slit his own wrists & leap out the window. He had 'reduced' the money I 'owed' the 'court' from $8500 to zero (proving, in my mind, the whole thing was a scam), removed all but one point from my record, and wished me a great weekend. That cost me $3500 in attorneys' fees, time off of work, and a lot of sleep. Most people don't care as much as I do - I was young, and didn't need money. Most importantly, I was literally willing to become a homeless bum rather than submit to these little dirtbags. My situation has not changed. However most folks will just pay and be done - because they have responsibilities, like kids and a spouse at home who depend on the income to pay debts. And they like to be comfortable, with new cars, and medical care, and such. See how that works?

I hung up my keys shortly after this series of events, because I understood the game a little better.
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-23-2013 09:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-20-2013 11:25 AM

I think that protests will by necessity, start small and if the causes that precipitated the protest in the first place are (1) valid, (2) widespread, and (3) unrecognized or not resolved by those in position to do so, the protests will only become larger and more frequent.

I think that the truckers are hoping that they will be able to do what the west coast dock workers were able to do in terms of affecting the economy and thereby drawing attention to the issues, and in that I hope that they succeed, because we can't continue on this road much longer. Neither Congress nor Obama want to listen to the common folk - they're living a lifestyle that precludes their even envisioning what most middle and lower classes of society endure on a daily basis.

BTW Squid - great story.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-20-2013 11:31 AM

Good point kbot.

A nationwide general strike, with real sacrifice and discomfort, might be a little different. It's probably still a short term solution though.

What we need are long term behavioral changes. It took decades to get us to this state of decay, and it will take additional decades and much innovative thinking to bring us back. The people who need to initiate this change are hopelessly distracted by gizmos, destructive philosophies, and to a large degree their own image in the mirror.
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-20-2013 11:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 11:33 AM

Yeah, like I said, "controlled opposition" is controlled right up to the exact moment it isn't. While it's true it's not the 70s anymore, it's also not 2008.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-20-2013 11:38 AM

HB3 wrote: Yeah, like I said, "controlled opposition" is controlled right up to the exact moment it isn't. While it's true it's not the 70s anymore, it's also not 2008.
But I'm citing actual stuff. From history and the like. You are supposing things, with no supporting evidence at all (relative to modern America that is).

Of course things are controlled until they are not. It's like saying we are earthbound until we are not. Unfortunately, for the first 150,000 years modern humans had no idea how to break free of the 'control' exerted on us by gravity.

The question is: what conditions need to be present before we can achieve 'escape velocity', and become out of control? I submit a truck parade is not enough, and in fact it's like chipping flint rocks when you need to be discovering the principles of rocketry.

We are not on the verge of becoming out of control. We were closer in the 1970's. Much closer. Actually, pretty close. Things like this were regular occurrences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_incident
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-23-2013 09:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 11:59 AM

The question is whether the system is on the verge of collapse or whether it can continue like this indefinitely.

I can think of a few things that might force the issue. Over in Greece they're talking about making the Golden Dawn party illegal. That's the sort of thing that would, at least potentially, push the situation into civil war.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 12:00 PM

Generally, it seems to me that the system is destroying itself.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 12:05 PM

If it's facts and history you're wanting, look at the history of Empire. Look at the history of totalitarian governments; look at the history of whatever pendulum or socio-cultural zig-zag you'd care to name.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-20-2013 10:21 PM

I think they can drag this out a loooong time.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 10:24 PM

Yeah, that's one possibility.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”