Patriotism Outbreak

Moderator: Super Moderators

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-12-2013 05:04 PM

Seriously, I'm introducing a concept -- "controlled opposition" is only controlled up to the moment it isn't.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-12-2013 05:29 PM

"They" (the military/industrial/government apparatus) have ordained entire departments within the 'Homeland' to address the concept you mention.

These people work full time all the time (in secret, with secret budgets) to ensure that being out of control is orders of magnitude more costly than simply remaining compliant in the face of the incremental affronts to one's pre-existing concepts of 'America'.

There is a reason Europeans chose to risk unknown dangers in a 'new world' rather than try and dislodge entrenched power structures (and the largest part of a compliant population) at home.

1967 was probably the very last chance we had to really change the direction of the nation. We had about a quarter of a chance in the 1990s with the concept of a free internet & the cyberpunk movement (which spawned movies like 'The Matrix'). But now? No chance.

The people who represent 'good' & true change are marginalized in politics (like Kuncinich on the left, Gary Johnson, Huntsman, & Ron Paul on the right) - in fact they are ridiculed and laughed off the stage while class A asshats like Obama, & Romney are embraced by the million man biker gangs and OWS crowds. this tells us a lot about the true nature of the American people.

Not a solitary person bats an eye when Ron Paul, who represented a non-trivial number of actual Americans is banned from a convention and replaced by a tottering old fool of an actor who literally speaks to nobody. In fact it's hailed as a stroke of genius by the same fashion mavens turned nouveau biker gangs who can't get enough of the emperor's cloths.

These people are so utterly confused about the original concept of 'America', and the nature of revolt ... well it would be comical if the exhaust notes on those status symbol Harleys didn't sound like a dirge.
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-12-2013 05:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-12-2013 06:03 PM

Yeah, sure. But in the event of real social breakdown, who'd you rather be allied with? I'll take the bikers and teabaggers.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-12-2013 06:13 PM

HB3 wrote: Yeah, sure. But in the event of real social breakdown, who'd you rather be allied with? I'll take the bikers and teabaggers.
Neither. But I'm not a 'lesser of evils' guy.

In the event of real social breakdown I will use a different set of metrics to separate friend from foe. Couldn't care less about politics, as those affiliations will be even more worthless then than now. In fact my guess is that the political types (of both 'parties') will be running separate jack boot armies and internment camps. I think this potential is obvious if you take a look at the personality types involved, the nature of the two party scam, historical behaviors, and irrational decision making on the part of the 'rank and file'.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-12-2013 06:20 PM

Oh, I don't know. I really don't. My feeling generally is that the people like the bikers, the rednecks, teabaggers, Paulians and other radical libertarians, etc., will find common ground through certain shared instincts, if not politics (though there will be some of that too).

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-12-2013 06:22 PM

And hey, lets take this moment to remember the other September 11, one representing a major victory for classical civilization, at the moment when it seemed lost --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-12-2013 06:58 PM

Sometimes tolerance is perceived as weakness. However, tolerance can be a loaded gun with a hair trigger. At some point I look for the line to be crossed and the American public will not be tolerant, and it could be a snap.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-12-2013 07:21 PM

I still have to give the bikers credit for showing up in numbers. Bikers tend to be Freedom Loving, no matter what their backgrounds are. All I am capable of these days is bit?#!!, at least they did something. :crazyjump
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-12-2013 07:27 PM

voguy Post #: 22 Sometimes tolerance is perceived as weakness. However, tolerance can be a loaded gun with a hair trigger. At some point I look for the line to be crossed and the American public will not be tolerant, and it could be a snap.

I agree Voguy, Some where out there is the "Last Straw".
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 09-13-2013 01:15 AM

SquidInk wrote:

They are not even close to willing to do what it actually takes to bring about change. It might mean they have to go without their insurance policies, 401k plans, dividends, and other 'benefits'.

Game over.

Wow.

I never thought I would see the day where growing up, being responsible for my actions, working hard to provide for my family, and sacrificing for my family's education and retirement would be considered a bad thing.

Work hard= bad

Liking combustion engines and not falling for the oil is bad myth= bad.

Sucking the government teat======good.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-13-2013 09:33 AM

AND then we have taxes on monies we already paid taxes on. Ahh yes, you put monies away into IRA's...

Back in time you could take $2k deduction for those monies you put into IRA's -- but oh gee if you put more than that into IRA's - you paid taxes on those - right? Now you start taking out monies - say in excess of the 2K per year... you pay more taxes on anything over the 2k - again. (Not talking about any interest from those investments, but actual $$ you put in over the 2K.) Further some IRA's sent out interest statements that you put into your tax files part B - income - so you paid those taxes as well. Hmmm-- AND what about any year where you didn't deduct $2K?

----
patriotism - Worked hard all my life as I believe in America - and now retirement - huh - gotta keep on working instead of being able to retire ..... oh well.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-13-2013 01:53 PM

voguy wrote: Sometimes tolerance is perceived as weakness. However, tolerance can be a loaded gun with a hair trigger. At some point I look for the line to be crossed and the American public will not be tolerant, and it could be a snap.

I keep saying and thinking this myself.
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-13-2013 03:30 PM

I've never considered myself a man of violence. However, if the s*** hits the fan, and one of my America loving friends decides to hang a Washington traitor, they all know the key is under the mat for the garage, and there in 600' of rope which can "suspend" more than a man's weight. Have at it. Glad I could help.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-13-2013 09:42 PM

I now know what it feels like to "have had a belly full".

In California we are licensing the illegals to drive and there is a proposed bill that would allow illegals to serve on a jury.

This is one of the worst states in the Union and an abomination constitutionally.
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-14-2013 12:47 AM

SquidInk wrote: "They" (the military/industrial/government apparatus) have ordained entire departments within the 'Homeland' to address the concept you mention.

These people work full time all the time (in secret, with secret budgets) to ensure that being out of control is orders of magnitude more costly than simply remaining compliant in the face of the incremental affronts to one's pre-existing concepts of 'America'.

There is a reason Europeans chose to risk unknown dangers in a 'new world' rather than try and dislodge entrenched power structures (and the largest part of a compliant population) at home.

1967 was probably the very last chance we had to really change the direction of the nation. We had about a quarter of a chance in the 1990s with the concept of a free internet & the cyberpunk movement (which spawned movies like 'The Matrix'). But now? No chance.

The people who represent 'good' & true change are marginalized in politics (like Kuncinich on the left, Gary Johnson, Huntsman, & Ron Paul on the right) - in fact they are ridiculed and laughed off the stage while class A asshats like Obama, & Romney are embraced by the million man biker gangs and OWS crowds. this tells us a lot about the true nature of the American people.

Not a solitary person bats an eye when Ron Paul, who represented a non-trivial number of actual Americans is banned from a convention and replaced by a tottering old fool of an actor who literally speaks to nobody. In fact it's hailed as a stroke of genius by the same fashion mavens turned nouveau biker gangs who can't get enough of the emperor's cloths.

These people are so utterly confused about the original concept of 'America', and the nature of revolt ... well it would be comical if the exhaust notes on those status symbol Harleys didn't sound like a dirge.
f'n right.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”