Obama to seek congressional OK for Syria action

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-08-2013 05:31 PM

Diogenes wrote: According to Carville Obama has done a fairly good job in the Middle East - can you imagine what he would say if there were a Republican in the WH?

My hearing fails when serpent face is on TV.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-08-2013 08:14 PM

Raggedyann wrote: It's because of the past pack of Booosh lies that people are not believing a thing that's being said in this current push to war. It may be convenient for all the "righties" here to forget the worst U.S. war criminal the world has ever seen but the rest of the world has NOT forgotten!
Raggedyann wrote: I guess if you want to forget about Bush's role in all of this you could be considered a "teetotaler". I could think of some better labels but as we are being polite, I'll pass on those. Wink wink nudge nudge say no more.
Hey now RA, I've no problem with a nice polite discussion of Bush's role in all this - indeed if I were an advocate of 'prohibition,' most certainly I needn't have even mentioned him. Still, to keep a sense of proportion by way of degrees there's the whole matter of imbibing responsibly and knowing when to quit, not to mention too much of a good thing could lead to acute alcohol poisoning...

As our @$$hole-in-Chief IS carrying on after a fashion, is it worth a look back at his predecessor? I'll surely drink to that. OTOH, asserting GW's role alone in all this makes him the worst U.S. war criminal EVER in all of history in the eyes of the rest of the world - THUS conveniently focusing on and THEN never forgetting America's indisputably awful actions even as those of Stalinism, Maoism, etc. CAN easily be brushed aside and allowed to recede in memory?? YOW! There's one helluva stiff drink by any stretch.

Finding that all more than hard to swallow, I'll needs give it a pass - so much as IMHO, distilled to an inebriatingly extreme degree, more or less essentially portraying the previous administration to be the worst criminally depraved regime to ever have ruled the world's all-time most atrocious wrongdoing warmongering nation is as pure and strong a 'shot' as can ever be poured in a glass.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 09-09-2013 02:48 AM

Diogenes wrote: RA,

One would have to be living in the US to truly understand why we don't believe anything "they" say. The US is war weary and that is valid. For the rest of us who can think beyond GWB we have been thru Obamacare, his squandering of our money to pay off his cronies, the hypocrisy of Eric Holder. record unemployment, food stamps, disability, seventeen trillion in debt, and on and on and on.

We are sick of all of them and have moved on from GWB. He has been gone over a Presidential term ago and folks just need to grow up and try to be honest.

One does not have to live in the U.S. to not believe anything "they" say. Do you not think your allies are not war weary too? Trust me, we are sick of all of them too. Your post sounds like you believe me to be an Obama supporter. How many times do I have to say I'm not? :rolleyes:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-09-2013 06:24 AM

Three UN Security Council members are against the US getting involved - one of them our chief ally. You'd think Obama would get the point.........

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-09-2013 07:31 AM

Raggedyann wrote: One does not have to live in the U.S. to not believe anything "they" say. Do you not think your allies are not war weary too? Trust me, we are sick of all of them too. Your post sounds like you believe me to be an Obama supporter. How many times do I have to say I'm not? :rolleyes:

RA,

Really that didn't enter the equation when I posted - my point was even thou perhaps expressed poorly is that I can't really get the flavor of living in Canada or your idyllic little spot because I'm not there so perhaps we who live in the US have a different perspective. I live in California and if the Obama way is so good it would have worked here years ago.

My other point was only the stragglers have held on to GWB because we have many more serious problems than the time it takes to rehash GWB and further, time has gone by and these people who keep blaming GWB for everything- they can't discuss any topic - like Carville- without invoking GWB.

It reminds me of the woman who can't move beyond her divorce and ex husband or the person at 50 who keeps blaming their parents for their current set of circumstances.

This administration and this President cannot stop blaming everyone else, including GWB for their woes and it makes me weary.

It's a personal thing I am sure.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2013 10:23 AM

kbot wrote: Three UN Security Council members are against the US getting involved - one of them our chief ally. You'd think Obama would get the point.........
It's not Obama who's not getting the point. It's the obstinate trio of strike-challenged council chimps being blind, deaf and dumb to evil.

Could be they're concerned about escalation? That's all the more reason TO nip it in the bud. What a buncha no-nothing monkeys eh!

Without US involvement, you can be sure Syria will become ground zero for the Battle for The Planet of the Apes.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2013 10:52 AM

Y'know, in alla this, I was just thinkin'...

What would Rom say?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-09-2013 11:04 AM

Riddick wrote: Y'know, in alla this, I was just thinkin'...

What would Rom say?

He is a real be true to your school kind of guy - he would say nothing or it's a great idea.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-09-2013 01:54 PM

The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Monday said it welcomed a Russian proposal to avert U.S. military strikes by having Damascus turn over control of its chemical weapons to international monitors.

The statement by Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem in Moscow offered the first indication that a diplomatic solution may be possible to the international standoff that has evolved since apparent chemical weapons attacks on rebel-held suburbs outside Damascus on August 21…

Moualem said Syria “welcomes the Russian initiative,” but did not say whether his country would agree to what Russia was asking. “We also welcome the wisdom of the Russian leadership, which is trying to prevent American aggression against our people,” Moulaem said.

Hours earlier, in London, Secretary of State John F. Kerry sketched out a similar transfer-of-control scenario, then dismissed it, after being asked by a reporter whether there was anything that Assad could do to avoid an attack. “Sure, he could turn over every bit of his weapons to the international community within the next week, without delay,” Kerry said. “But he isn’t about to.”
Lol.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2013 02:44 PM

Diogenes wrote: He is a real be true to your school kind of guy - he would say nothing or it's a great idea.
Well, as it is at the FF2 the whole subject's had no more than mention from racehorse as part of his regular C2C rehashing, with NO one voicing an opinion either way on Syria - Still, I'd not go so far as to say silence implies tacit approval on anyone's part -

OTOH, wouldn't being really true to one's school entail being on board in a big way, regardless of one's personal opinion - in saying nothing, might it not indicate an absence of loyalty and/or a crisis of conscience in Rom's case?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-09-2013 03:24 PM

Riddick wrote: Well, as it is at the FF2 the whole subject's had no more than mention from racehorse as part of his regular C2C rehashing, with NO one voicing an opinion either way on Syria - Still, I'd not go so far as to say silence implies tacit approval on anyone's part -

OTOH, wouldn't being really true to one's school entail being on board in a big way, regardless of one's personal opinion - in saying nothing, might it not indicate an absence of loyalty and/or a crisis of conscience in Rom's case?

Being True to Your School implies cheerleading to me - blind acceptance and faith - always.

If one is that way it normally follows if there is something so abherrant to them they will say nothing rather than utter a differing opionion which might appear as thou they are straying from the party line. Silence on the part of folks like that merely means they are wimps.

Speaking of FF2 I did note Race refused to moderate the Oates program or whatever the heck name it is - he basically was a striker.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2013 05:24 PM

Diogenes wrote: Being True to Your School implies cheerleading to me - blind acceptance and faith - always.

If one is that way it normally follows if there is something so abherrant to them they will say nothing rather than utter a differing opionion which might appear as thou they are straying from the party line. Silence on the part of folks like that merely means they are wimps.
Ah, I hadn't considered the "wimp factor" in all this - In case of crisis, cowardice trumps conscience?

Yeah, I can definitely see that as an option against appearing to cross lines and join the opposition -

Kind of like a silent strike against a Syria strike by members of the U.A.W. (Union of American Wimps)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-09-2013 06:50 PM

Riddick wrote: Ah, I hadn't considered the "wimp factor" in all this - In case of crisis, cowardice trumps conscience?

Add apathy, sloth, and a allowing your vote to be bought, and you nailed it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-09-2013 07:03 PM

Riddick wrote: Ah, I hadn't considered the "wimp factor" in all this - In case of crisis, cowardice trumps conscience?

Yeah, I can definitely see that as an option against appearing to cross lines and join the opposition -

Kind of like a silent strike against a Syria strike by members of the U.A.W. (Union of American Wimps)

Not sure I made myself clear - as in the instance of these Hollywood types - this is just the kind of action which they are keen on loathing and speaking out about but as some of them have indicated they don't want to appear as being racist therefore they say nothing. The Black caucus is silent because of the obvious. Blacks are some of the hardest hit economically - yet they remain silent.

I find that immature - instead of being true to your core values they are true to their school no matter how much they would be screaming like stuck pigs if it was the other "team".

Same thing with the so called feminists - if their guy is the one committing the atrocities they are fine with that and turn a blind eye towards him and say nothing because he is pro choice and that trumps everything. Conversely if the fellow is pro life- well there is no tolerance.

I'm not sure that cowardice could ever trump conscience.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-09-2013 08:59 PM

Diogenes wrote: I'm not sure that cowardice could ever trump conscience.
Remember the TV series "The Fugitive"? Richard Kimball was wrongly convicted of the murder of his wife, and after fate reprieved him from a trip to the death house, for four long years he managed to elude the police lieutenant obsessed with his capture.

In the series conclusion, after catching up with the one-armed man, as they fought atop a water tower the real culprit confessed to Kimball but at that point, as it appeared a death blow was imminent, from the ground Lieutenant Gerard shot and killed the killer.

Yet, even as Kimball descended from the tower, Gerard was giving a stern talking to to a man he only recently learned may well've witnessed the killing, not having come forward at the time of the trial for fear the one-armed man would make him his next victim.

For as long both men were at-large he kept silent, knowing full well at any time Kimball might be killed or captured by police. Only when the one-armed man was dead did the guy admit he'd seen it all. Even then it was iffy, as staying silent would spare him the shame and humiliation of speaking out only when he hadn't need fear for his OWN life any longer.

After the fight on the tower, the audience saw a personal fight of cowardice against conscience. Leaving it up in the air for some tense moments, it was both Kimball and Gerard staring him down together that finally got the guy to open up -

'Course, that was all a work of scripted fiction. Happy endings in real life aren't so easy to come by and even aside circumstances as strong as fearing for one's life, I'd say it's entirely conceivable someone of conscience can and will eschew doing the right thing for no more reason it might negatively impact their ability to carry on living their lives just as always and as they're accustomed to.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”