Obama to seek congressional OK for Syria action

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-14-2013 08:31 PM

Riddick wrote: Consider back in the day there was the draft. Even if called up, ways of avoiding active duty where their neck would be on the line were to be had, but many performers chose to forgo them.

Those of age may well have similar chance to show their chops or lack of same, should a Syria strike stimulate needs for re-instituting the draft...

Maybe, but consider entertainers such Glenn Miller and others that I mentioned in the article who did see action.

And many lesser-known kids from farms to factories , my father, father-in-law and countless others rushed to the enlistment stations to enlist. Like I said, different times/ different mindset. Used to be that many people felt it was a privilege to even live in this country and wouldn't think of taking anything other than the mere opportunity to make a life for him/ herself based on their ability. Now, what is increasingly the norm is a reversal on JFK's "Ask not...." line to a point now where people demand from the government and society what they feel they are entitled to just because they're here.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-14-2013 08:39 PM

I read this earlier today. One of the things that we all probably know, is that the Church has a vast intelligence network of its own, so this article is interesting if for nothing else than it provides a perspective that isn't getting much airplay from the MSM......... (no surprise there). I find his remarks on Iran and Israel interesting.

Franciscan in Holy Land fears U.S. strike on Syria would inflame region

West Palm Beach, Fla.--
The president of the Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land said his Christian counterparts in the region worry that U.S. strikes in Syria would further inflame a situation where many nations ply for influence.

"The concern is that if the U.S. does start military operations in Syria, then Iran will try to do something in Israel and set off a bloody chain of events that it could be a powder keg," Franciscan Fr. Peter Vasko said.

The American-born priest spoke with The Florida Catholic, Miami's archdiocesan newspaper, Thursday at the start of a 13-city tour of the U.S. In his presentations, he planned to discuss challenges for Palestinian and other Christians living in the Holy Land and the foundation's efforts to support humanitarian projects and provide scholarships for Christian students.

Vasko echoed the concern of Pope Francis, who called Catholics and others to a day of prayer and fasting Saturday for peace in Syria and areas of the world experiencing armed conflict.

"If somebody has to speak out who better than the pontiff. My worry is that the previous appeals for peace from the pontiffs sometimes fall on deaf ears, but it is our moral obligation to join him in prayer that this (situation regarding Syria) doesn't spin out of control."

Twice a year, Vasko travels to the U.S. to meet with foundation supporters and to seek support for Christian young people especially to live meaningful and productive lives in their places of birth and not to emigrate.

Having spent 27 years in Jerusalem, Vasko said he is aware of the struggles that the Holy Land Christians experience. Christians in places such as Egypt, Syria, Iraq and elsewhere have paid a heavy price amidst Muslim sectarian conflicts, political upheaval and incidents of terrorism, he said.

Christian families have frequently sided with either government or opposition forces and therefore made no friends and were sometimes killed, he explained. Because they live in deep fear, Christians keep a low profile and shy away from taking one side over another, he said.

"In many cases, they flee," Vasko said.

"Our monastery in the Suez was blown up (in August) and luckily there were no friars there at the time."

The message he said he is hearing from leadership of Catholic and Christian communities in the Middle East is to stand firm and not to depart.

"Our friars in Syria are always in danger and don't know what will happen, but they are fearless," Vasko said. "They are there for the people and other denominations say the same thing: they have to be there in peaceful times and in times of war, to remain and persevere and say 'we are here to suffer and die with you, if need be.'"

"That takes some courage from religious denominations throughout the Middle East," he said.

Vasko planned to speak with supporters in New York; Columbus, Ohio; San Antonio; Washington and several locations in Florida during his visit.

The priest said he has found that more and more of the Catholic population is becoming familiar with the work of stemming the Christian exodus in the Holy Land, although he conceded that he does not expect the trend to reverse itself any time soon.

A popular priest guide for visitors to the Holy Land, Vasko keeps a keen sense of humor about the challenges he faces and said he plans to help identify and train a successor in the coming years as he looks toward retirement.

He added that U.S. pilgrimages to Israel have been strong this year but that the prospect of a U.S. strike in Syria may give travelers concerns about the safety and security in the region.

Vasko expressed hope that the prayers for peace sought by Pope Francis from Christians around the world will result in a peaceful outcome to Syria's civil war.

"It is important for all of us to get together in prayer on this and it is needed, is refreshing and uplifting," he said. "The pope is saying, 'Let's do something,' really actively engaging our people and for me that is who this pontiff is, and with prayer all things are possible.

"We are a people of hope and divine providence; we have to wait and see what the results are."

http://ncronline.org/news/peace-justice ... ame-region

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-14-2013 08:49 PM

kbot wrote: Maybe, but consider entertainers such Glenn Miller and others that I mentioned in the article who did see action.

And many lesser-known kids from farms to factories , my father, father-in-law and countless others rushed to the enlistment stations to enlist. Like I said, different times/ different mindset. Used to be that many people felt it was a privilege to even live in this country and wouldn't think of taking anything other than the mere opportunity to make a life for him/ herself based on their ability. Now, what is increasingly the norm is a reversal on JFK's "Ask not...." line to a point now where people demand from the government and society what they feel they are entitled to just because they're here.
Would you believe I was using the draft as an example of where Hollywood/Limo libs might be put in an uncomfortable position against their will and do whatever it takes to weasel out of any sort of dangerous duty, whereas in the past plenty performers who din't enlist took their inscription into the service with far less of a "What, ME Carry?" Alfie attitude toward arms, ammo and artillery??

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-14-2013 09:32 PM

As something of an aside ON the lighter side? Let's not forget all the fellas on either 4F or other legit deferments who nevertheless 'Took it to the Ratzis' albeit on film in undeniably propagandized YET rockingly AND mockingly hilarious satirical movie shorts -

The war was serious business but folks here at home could still bust a gut NYUKing it up with Moe Larry and Curly up there on the silver screen!

Both out before US involvement, here's the first two flicks in the Three Stooges WWII series - "Nazty" was released in January '40, the "Heil" sequel followed in July '41:

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-14-2013 09:35 PM

If you study history, and especially the revolution, you'll see that those most wanting warfare were at the lead of the army.

Contrast that to today where the politician declares a war, and stands behind layers of security, in their bunker.

I have to think if our politicians had to be at the front line, "leading" by example, they would wish they never declared war. Face it, 99% of them are chicken s***s. Glad-handing cowards of the n'th degree.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-15-2013 12:17 PM

Nothing in that statement I can disagree with.
A man's character is his fate

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 09-16-2013 04:11 AM

Riddick wrote: What, like He cares?
No Riddick...

Im saying GOD BLESS SYRIA because i feel bad for them!

ANOTHER COUNTRY BIENG TERRORISED BY THE USA!!!!!!!!!

Its quite sickening...... NO ONE CAN HAVE WEAPONS BUT THE USA,NO ONE CAN DO THIS,THAT BUT THE USA!!!!

Im quite disgusted with thier evil ways!! (No other country has killed as many innocents as the US has)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-16-2013 05:51 AM

voguy wrote: If you study history, and especially the revolution, you'll see that those most wanting warfare were at the lead of the army.

Contrast that to today where the politician declares a war, and stands behind layers of security, in their bunker.

I have to think if our politicians had to be at the front line, "leading" by example, they would wish they never declared war. Face it, 99% of them are chicken s***s. Glad-handing cowards of the n'th degree.

"Follow the money......"

CSPAN ran a segemnt over the weekend on the government's revolving door frmo government to corporate board room, back to government, etc, etc, etc.......

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-16-2013 01:49 PM

Dude111 wrote: No Riddick...

Im saying GOD BLESS SYRIA because i feel bad for them!

Its quite sickening...... NO ONE CAN HAVE WEAPONS BUT THE USA,NO ONE CAN DO THIS,THAT BUT THE USA!!!!

Im quite disgusted with thier evil ways!! (No other country has killed as many innocents as the US has)

I would have to bet there is no other country either, as generous as the US.

We send other countries our best to fight their wars, stabilize and rebuild their countries, and send them billions of dollars.

I mean you live in the USA and consider your country Terrorists so can you imagine how much we are hated over seas?

As far as the Syrians I don't see Americans shooting and beheading their folks.

We have spent blood and treasure on the Middle East and we no more understand these folks than we did perhaps a 100 years ago. OR maybe those simple folks back in the day undrestood far more than those in modern times.

I have to admit I'm confused about the Middle East. Yes we went to Iraq and tried to do the right thing - we went in brilliantly and had no plan thereafter.

Really I am tired of the Middle East and their impact on my country and I wish the politicians would use stealth force, take out the bad guys and leave the Middle East and their tribes to hating us and stop sending billions of dollars to them and use it here at home.

:(

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-16-2013 02:20 PM

geeeee if we kept half the $$ home that we send to other countries and doled it out to citizens of the USA - real citizens that is -- or created more jobs - you know roads and bridges and and other jobs -- be a whole lot better off!!!

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-16-2013 03:14 PM

And we might get a bit of respect.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-16-2013 06:21 PM

Dude111 wrote: Im saying GOD BLESS SYRIA because i feel bad for them!

If indeed the US holds the all-time record for deaths of innocents, what more needs be said?

First things first. For now, let's just forget about Syria turning over its chemical weapons. Far better a deal is worked out to have the US turn over all its WMDs, then disband its armed forces and dismantle all its warfare capabilities.

'Course, that'll leave more than just a li'l balance of power vacuum on the world stage, but I'm sure the rest of NATO will step up to the challenge. No doubt our good friends north of the border would be more than willing to take on the lead role there eh?

Then again, maybe it'd just be better having the UN be the world's one and only policeman. That way, everybody's involved, and if any innocents get killed, everyone takes the blame. Which is pretty much as good as saying no one takes the blame -

Really though, at that point, what reason would there be to talk of blame anyway? Whatever is done will be for the greater good. Any collateral damage as may result, well, that's too bad but whachagonnado. Stuff happens. Get over it folks - better that than find yourself on the receiving end of a UN corrective action eh!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-16-2013 06:53 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: geeeee if we kept half the $$ home that we send to other countries and doled it out to citizens of the USA - real citizens that is -- or created more jobs - you know roads and bridges and and other jobs -- be a whole lot better off!!!

And I'm sure if the money stayed in the community, and you were not treated like a cash-cow, you would probably help in charitable ways. See... programs in Washington go away when local people get involved.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-16-2013 09:04 PM

Diogenes wrote: I would have to bet there is no other country either, as generous as the US.

We send other countries our best to fight their wars, stabilize and rebuild their countries, and send them billions of dollars.
And that's not gone unnoticed over the years, so much as was evidenced in the making of "The Mouse That Roared", a Peter Sellers flick in the late '50s. Facing bankruptcy, leaders of a very small fictional European nation decided they'd declare war on the US, have a tiny token military squad arrive in NYC and surrender soon after making their country eligible for untold oodles of foreign aid boodle.

Trouble was thanks to the specially selected for his ineptness yet unfortunately also eager beaver group leader having something to prove, and a confluence of unusual circumstances, the squad came into possession of an atomic bomb - thus causing an international incident, with both country's political class peeing their pants over what might happen - the big worry on the aggressor side being they may well come out winning the standoff and rather than see financial gain, they may become liable for paying reparations to the US!

Fast forward 54 years, and we have relatively small nations like Korea and Iran looking to have nuclear arms capability... Now, they well may be crazy enough to use them - OR crazy like a fox, knowing just having nukes puts them in the game with the "big boys" who may well offer to regularly fork over "foreign aid" money to keep 'em from going around the bend and queering the whole deal -

Trouble is, whether it's paid out to blackmailers OR honest-to-Hanna hard-up cases, as the biggest "big boy" of all isn't all too solvent itself anymore, at some point to send even more money it doesn't have out of the country to needy nations who never seem to get any less needy leaves itself open to the possibility of becoming a needy nation itself - really, how batshoot crazy is THAT?

Keep up that way and comes the day when the foreign aid stops flowing out, will foreign aid start flowing in?

Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 09-17-2013 02:04 AM

Riddick wrote: If indeed the US holds the all-time record for deaths of innocents, what more needs be said?
Ya I hear ya buddy!

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”