Obama to seek congressional OK for Syria action

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-10-2013 05:45 AM

Riddick wrote: It's not Obama who's not getting the point. It's the obstinate trio of strike-challenged council chimps being blind, deaf and dumb to evil.

Could be they're concerned about escalation? That's all the more reason TO nip it in the bud. What a buncha no-nothing monkeys eh!

Without US involvement, you can be sure Syria will become ground zero for the Battle for The Planet of the Apes.

With Russia and China - I'd expect nothing less than obstrucintg any involvement. With the UK, I am a little surprised, but, when looked-at in perspective to recent history, they got burned under 43, but they also have a relatively large Middle Eastern population living in and around London and the industrialized citiies in the midlands, and this probably weighed in their vote because the government probably doesn't want to see an escalation of violence at home.

But, at some point, the US goervnemnt has to stop this "we are the policemen of the world". I saw a report the other night that said we are over $2 TRILLION in debt racked-up since 9/11. We'll never get that money back. Engaging in never-ending war will only wreck the US economy, which is basically was OBL was driving at- and our government is going for it - hook, line and sinker.....

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-10-2013 05:54 AM

Riddick wrote: Y'know, in alla this, I was just thinkin'...

What would Rom say?

Great!!! Conjuring the dark side. Nice move...........

Breaking out the green sage as I type this :D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-10-2013 11:12 AM

So maybe??

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ ... 0-07-47-43

AP release
Syria says it accepted Russian weapons proposal

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-10-2013 11:14 AM

They appear to be backing down...thank God.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-10-2013 11:15 AM

By the way, I was just reading about how the Obama administration actually reversed restrictions on NSA spying imposed by the Bush administration. The situation is clear -- the current government is actually WORSE than Bush.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-10-2013 02:00 PM

Riddick wrote: Remember the TV series "The Fugitive"? Richard Kimball was wrongly convicted of the murder of his wife, and after fate reprieved him from a trip to the death house, for four long years he managed to elude the police lieutenant obsessed with his capture.

In the series conclusion, after catching up with the one-armed man, as they fought atop a water tower the real culprit confessed to Kimball but at that point, as it appeared a death blow was imminent, from the ground Lieutenant Gerard shot and killed the killer.

Yet, even as Kimball descended from the tower, Gerard was giving a stern talking to to a man he only recently learned may well've witnessed the killing, not having come forward at the time of the trial for fear the one-armed man would make him his next victim.

For as long both men were at-large he kept silent, knowing full well at any time Kimball might be killed or captured by police. Only when the one-armed man was dead did the guy admit he'd seen it all. Even then it was iffy, as staying silent would spare him the shame and humiliation of speaking out only when he hadn't need fear for his OWN life any longer.

After the fight on the tower, the audience saw a personal fight of cowardice against conscience. Leaving it up in the air for some tense moments, it was both Kimball and Gerard staring him down together that finally got the guy to open up -

'Course, that was all a work of scripted fiction. Happy endings in real life aren't so easy to come by and even aside circumstances as strong as fearing for one's life, I'd say it's entirely conceivable someone of conscience can and will eschew doing the right thing for no more reason it might negatively impact their ability to carry on living their lives just as always and as they're accustomed to.

Speaking for myself I believe I would rather be regarded as a person of consciense than of cowardice - generally speaking of course.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-10-2013 10:35 PM

Diogenes wrote: Speaking for myself I believe I would rather be regarded as a person of consciense than of cowardice - generally speaking of course.
Ultimately, as it turned out, so did the guy on "The Fugitive" - Thing there was, he was seriously considering continuing on the cowardice route and may well have done so IF not for the fact at that point with Gerard and Kimball in his presence, his conscience was being sufficiently stimulated by way of significant challenge FROM outside his person.

That's where most all the trouble lies, so much as anyone stays silent on the sidelines and goes unchallenged, or only challenged from people NOT in their peer group - and insofar then no one IN the peer group has a serious problem with it, the longer it goes on that way what chance has conscience to overcome such united-in-silence collective cowardice?

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-11-2013 01:07 AM

HB3 wrote: By the way, I was just reading about how the Obama administration actually reversed restrictions on NSA spying imposed by the Bush administration. The situation is clear -- the current government is actually WORSE than Bush.
Such a statement invites severe skepticism. Worse than the worst? How is THAT possible? Despite any apparent evidence to the contrary, nothing can contradict a forever fixed fact.

As such fatally flawed reasoning will only lead to further grossly egregious errors in judgment, clearly a course of corrective cognitive therapy is in order from NO less than the best in the business -

Unorthodox in his methods and with a bedside manner to match, his is expertise beyond compare: Do no more than put your mind on hold, think as you're told and everything'll be fine, just fine...

Paging Doctor Rombaldi!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-11-2013 05:11 AM

Friggin excuses. No action. Meaningless words.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-11-2013 05:42 AM

HB3 wrote: By the way, I was just reading about how the Obama administration actually reversed restrictions on NSA spying imposed by the Bush administration. The situation is clear -- the current government is actually WORSE than Bush.

This was becoming obvious in Obama's first term, although his hard-core supporters didn't want to hear it then, and I'm willing to bet that there is a core group that despise 43 for doing the same thing, yet revere Obama for exceeding 43 on this issue.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-11-2013 11:43 AM

kbot wrote: I'm willing to bet that there is a core group that despise 43 for doing the same thing, yet revere Obama for exceeding 43 on this issue.
Easy money, man! Go ahead and bet - and I'll tellya why in two words: Tea Party. One need only look at the targeting tactics of the IRS to see what's going on here. It only stands to reason Obama's reversal of restrictions Bush placed on spying is similarly purposed -

How can anyone who despises 43 to the core NOT be more than OK with that?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-11-2013 11:55 AM

I was thinking more of the progressives and their agenda. Maybe my memory os totally shot,but Ithought that Obama was senator, he was a fairly vocal opponent of 43 and his tactics on domestic spying and the war. This is what helped get him elected. The Left is in a quandry. Their credibility is shot on this one.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-11-2013 01:56 PM

voguy wrote: Friggin excuses. No action. Meaningless words.
Careful now VO. Sure it may well be that's what it looks like at first glance. But it may be that's just what they want from the public - Any closer examination may reveal the fact the administration has even LESS going for it than any of that -

OTOH, a resounding foreign policy PR botch job just now may not be SUCH a bad thing. With its big kick-in right around the corner, the implementing of Obamacare could come off as being absolutely brilliant by comparison, rather than one epic mess-up after another...

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-11-2013 01:58 PM

kbot wrote: I was thinking more of the progressives and their agenda. Maybe my memory os totally shot,but Ithought that Obama was senator, he was a fairly vocal opponent of 43 and his tactics on domestic spying and the war. This is what helped get him elected. The Left is in a quandry. Their credibility is shot on this one.
It's not the same thing is it? That was then, this is now. So what if he was against it before he was for it. Keep close tabs on the Tea Party and other conservative rebel groups? There's your progressive agenda.

Bush 43 had it wrong all along. Then and now Obama has it right. Und DAT is all da people need to know -

Or maybe a group therapy session from Doctor Rombaldi is called for?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-11-2013 02:09 PM

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”