Work for a living or collect welfare? Hmmmm....

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-23-2013 03:59 PM

Riddick wrote: Interesting take. Seems to me by that reasoning, it could be said employers who ask employees to perform tasks as prescribed in job descriptions on a regular basis in return for a paycheck are the worst kind of slave drivers.

By *their* definition, yes. There is a section of our society that feels the nanny state is the only way to live. People honestly believe that it's their fundamental right for others to feed, house, and pay for their every desire.

I've never considered a lifestyle such as theirs, but perhaps I should quit my job and milk the system like the rest of these people. We can start now by you all giving me your PayPal numbers so you can make a contribution to the "VO Party At Home" fund. :)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-23-2013 07:18 PM

Please. You're the kind of person who'd go crazy doing this after a while......

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-23-2013 07:59 PM

kbot wrote: Please. You're the kind of person who'd go crazy doing this after a while......

Yeah, you're right. The short time I was on unemployment in the 70s I was miserable. I have to be doing something.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-23-2013 08:01 PM

voguy wrote: Yeah, you're right. The short time I was on unemployment in the 70s I was miserable. I have to be doing something.

Unfortunately, people like you are a dying breed in this country.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-23-2013 11:44 PM

A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-24-2013 12:47 AM

voguy wrote: By *their* definition, yes. There is a section of our society that feels the nanny state is the only way to live. People honestly believe that it's their fundamental right for others to feed, house, and pay for their every desire.
Well, isn't that the greater goal of a civilized society, to be universally and collectively free from need or want? At the same time, no other way should such liberty to live without a worry in the world come than with absolutely no strings attached; to ask for a return contribution to society, that's the enslavers talking - and it's one helluva string, so much as the only way to live is under the cruel and heartless likes of THEM, some may say 'give me complete economic freedom or give me death.'

In an ideal world, work shouldn't be a factor. If you can, no prob. If you can't, no prob. If you can and you don't want to, not only does that not have to be a problem, if handled right any and all problems will be in the past. Really, the solution is so darn simple: collective 'self-nannying', with Obamacare being the seminal example - mandate that all Americans carry health insurance.

But now that the door's been opened why stop there? Food, housing, transport, education, entertainment, you name it, create a 'policy pool' for it - Guarantee each and every citizen a basic package of federally subsidized economic rights.

The real beauty of all this will be the social welfare nanny state 'safety net' as we know it need no longer exist, as in essence once and for all being 'all in this together' everyone will benefit from the peace of mind that will come from knowing as bad as things may get financially, as enforced by government their fundamental rights will be fully insured whether they're working or not. Any problem with that? Tell it to the IRS...

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-24-2013 07:44 AM

Diogenes wrote: We just aren't very smart are we.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/20/study ... s/?print=1

Wow.... imagine that.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-24-2013 07:50 AM

@Riddick:

It has moved from the last chance, safety net, to an entitlement or a right. Many understand the pitfalls of a society of non-workers. Those who have no answers how to fix it, or lack the will, jump on the entitlement bus and give everyone a free ride. Problem is, it's not their bus to provide transportation, and they usually don't pay a cent for the fuel.

I'm reminded of Dr. Adrian Rogers quote about this....

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.” ― Adrian Rogers

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-24-2013 10:42 AM

Have stated for a long time - welfare for workfare. Granted there are exceptions with people who are physically disabled or even mentally incapacitated; but there are far too many who are capable of working. But why work when they receive more monies in welfare than they did when they were working?

So, I propose that all welfare recipients capable of work, have to work at community services so many hours a week. (weather permitting - as we know winter is coming and getting to and from places could be difficult) Also we need to cut the $$ to these long time welfare recipients so that it does not exceed what the IRS calls poverty level for working families - should be on a state by state basis as we all know the cost of living varies.

YES those on SS who obviously are at or below poverty level - even if they own their own home - need help too, at least to get them UP to poverty level averages.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-24-2013 12:35 PM

voguy wrote: @Riddick:

It has moved from the last chance, safety net, to an entitlement or a right. Many understand the pitfalls of a society of non-workers. Those who have no answers how to fix it, or lack the will, jump on the entitlement bus and give everyone a free ride. Problem is, it's not their bus to provide transportation, and they usually don't pay a cent for the fuel.

I'm reminded of Dr. Adrian Rogers quote about this....

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.” ― Adrian Rogers

There are folks who carry a mantra about fairness and the problem with the above is that this is reality and is what IS.

Fairy tales are nice and even comforting but not realistic and folks need to grow up.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-24-2013 03:21 PM

voguy wrote: It has moved from the last chance, safety net, to an entitlement or a right. Many understand the pitfalls of a society of non-workers. Those who have no answers how to fix it, or lack the will, jump on the entitlement bus and give everyone a free ride. Problem is, it's not their bus to provide transportation, and they usually don't pay a cent for the fuel.
Pay??? That's just another slaver word. Forking over for basic goods and services should be a choice, not a requirement.

Indeed, individuals ought not face fixed "prices" for ANY fundamental economic right. Anyone and everyone should be able to get whatever they need or want just so. And when you think about it, what better way to grow the economy? Demand will EXPLODE! Suppliers will be scrambling just to keep up. 'Course, so will the government need to subsidize all the added consumption...

Now, one resultant pitfall of a society of non-workers is a serious shortfall of revenue for supporting subsidization; but not to worry, the federal government's got it all covered. So much as it's how they've managed to get by all these years, for them it's the only way to live and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for everyone -

The Universal Charge Card. Don't Leave Home Without It.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-25-2013 05:42 AM

Riddick wrote:

Now, one resultant pitfall of a society of non-workers is a serious shortfall of revenue for supporting subsidization; but not to worry, the federal government's got it all covered. So much as it's how they've managed to get by all these years, for them it's the only way to live and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for everyone
The Russians already tried this. And we see where it got them.......

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-25-2013 12:48 PM

YA where's MY freebies? Where are yours? oh ya we work for a living, we let gov't take SS funds and Medicare funds -- supposedly to help us in our retirement years - but gee every gov't group sees those monies and snatches them up leaving IOUs behind.

How about we shut off all those Obama phones -- except allow calls to emergency - which is what supposedly they were meant to be used for...

How about we push the states to recoup the fraud welfare monies - ya know food stamp card being used for everything else? How about we make them ONLY for use in grocery stores and for limited types of groceries? (DO include diapers for those with infants - and diaper wipes, and TP for others... okay and Depends for those elders who need them.) BUT not for liquor, candy or cash to ... ya. GO back to WIC programs for families of preschool children - ya those you could only obtain foods already set up for those ages.

AND all the other welfare fraud out there and there is billions going out everywhere ... to fraud, while many of the truly needy go without.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-25-2013 02:04 PM

Speaking about the free cell phones, the FCC has begun going after people with one (if they already have one), and they are fining those with two or more.

Problem is, the offenders never pay the fine.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-25-2013 02:06 PM

Reading this thread is like reading one really loooong cliche.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”