Work for a living or collect welfare? Hmmmm....

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-20-2013 06:56 PM

voguy wrote: The system is broken. If someone wants to pay for the deadbeats, go right ahead. After you drain your bank account let's talk about what the word "help" really means.

Wished it worked that way. But the middleman in the form of the government imposes taxes on you and me and they decide who gets what - whether its a corporate contract or social programs......

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-20-2013 08:00 PM

What they are going to start finding, KBOT, is that many of the middle class are just going to start hiding their wealth and plead poverty.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Work for a living or collect welfare? Hmmmm....

Post by Diogenes » 08-20-2013 11:09 PM

Raggedyann wrote:
Diogenes wrote: This President removed the work restrictions previously tied to Welfare so there you go.

Not exactly:

Is Obama “dropping work requirements,” as Romney’s ad claims? No. He is allowing states to change the work requirements, but he is not dropping them. The changes could be made to a variety of federal requirements, including “definitions of work activities and engagement, specified limitations, verification procedures, and the calculation of participation rates.”

A lot will depend on what a state proposes and how it is implemented. There is nothing inherent in the waivers that guts work requirements.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/does-o ... re-reform/

RA,

Yes you are correct and I misspoke about this fact - however we varying types of welfare. We have many folks on disability - they don't work. Further it really doesn't matter if the Obama law stuck or not because the fact even in you are in a state where work is required nobody is checking up on it. It's loosey goosey so I stand by what I said - you can get money and not work. I know people who are receive money with no work requirements.

http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda/35 ... ihan-salam
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-20-2013 11:11 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Sorry but I'm not buying that welfare recipients can receive up to ,000 per yr in cold hard cash. This sounds like the "Cadillac" urban tale.

I don't know you find this so hard to believe- heck we do this and more for illegals.
A man's character is his fate

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-21-2013 01:26 AM

The thing that gets me is obviously there are people who need help and for the most part the right realizes this. But how come the left refuses to see it? Sure there are always exceptions but for the most part the left attacks anyone who even mentions it.

I gotta tell ya here. I work in the slums. I see lots of abuse. Almost everyone I come in contact with. And most of them are nice people but they just seem to thnk this is the only way to do things and always will be. They just don't get it when they hear about people who are upset about it. It's just a way of life.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-21-2013 09:41 AM

According to the dept of Social Security - the "average" SS recipient gets 1200 month that's 14,400 a year. There are far more people who get way less than that per year.

OK so where it their "welfare" $$? They have costs - if they own home - property taxes, or car or two cars, they have to pay insurance costs. Just look at the $105 taken away from them for the Medicare part B every month - forced on them after they had been pre-paying since 1965, fail to pay it - lose their SS. So technically they only have (AVE) $13,140 per year. No matter what state they reside in.

These welfare frauds should be removed. They should not get any more in any state than what the SS average shows. They should not get any more than what minimum wages show - in the way of cash benefits. Maybe then the welfare frauds would get off their .... and work.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-21-2013 04:59 PM

If the welfare & food stamp cheats and frauds could be eliminated, we would have the resources to help the truly needy. However, government does not want to lower the numbers because it reduces the size of government, and it's easier to give someone something than to try to get them on the working rolls.

The number of programs and the money adds up quick.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-21-2013 06:46 PM

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-22-2013 06:24 AM

voguy wrote: What they are going to start finding, KBOT, is that many of the middle class are just going to start hiding their wealth and plead poverty.

Did you listen to Noory's show back in July (the 9th I think) where his guest spoke on the UN's Agenda 21? The guest noted how, among other issues contained in the UN's plan, which the US signed on to, btw, that there are numerous ways by which the government already tracks how much wealth the middle class has. It's going to be difficult, if not impossible for the middle class to hide any wealth, unless they go off the books: go to the barter system as an intermediate step and then conduct a monetary transaction along the way.

Interesting item (or, maybe not to many of you...). I've been reading Herodotus's Histories (the annotated version that came out in the 1990s). And, among the ancient Egyptians, there was no currency system. The people worked strictly on the bartering system.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-22-2013 06:29 AM

Diogenes wrote: I don't know you find this so hard to believe- heck we do this and more for illegals.

The $49,000 figure (as with all the figures cited in the study) is based upon the amount of benefits that can be accessed if a person with two children (not all that uncommon) applied for the five most-commonly accessed "safety net" programs. These programs payouts are scaled to a given state's cost of living, which explains why states such as Hawaii, Massachusetts and New Jersey are relatively high compared to southern states.

Of course it certainly didn't help Massachusetts taxpayers when members of our local communities would post on billboards up and down Interstate 95 that we had excess Section 8 housing and we attracted people from all along the east coast that the other states didn't want in their states......

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-22-2013 06:31 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: According to the dept of Social Security - the "average" SS recipient gets 1200 month that's 14,400 a year. There are far more people who get way less than that per year.

OK so where it their "welfare" $$? They have costs - if they own home - property taxes, or car or two cars, they have to pay insurance costs. Just look at the 5 taken away from them for the Medicare part B every month - forced on them after they had been pre-paying since 1965, fail to pay it - lose their SS. So technically they only have (AVE) ,140 per year. No matter what state they reside in.

These welfare frauds should be removed. They should not get any more in any state than what the SS average shows. They should not get any more than what minimum wages show - in the way of cash benefits. Maybe then the welfare frauds would get off their .... and work.

Social security is "an entitlement". Remember? And the government wants to slash entitlements.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-22-2013 09:39 AM

kbot - ya - "entitlement" connected to SS monies. An individual who paid taxes on that money already. Some entitlement - their monies, but now the gov't calls it entitlement?

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-22-2013 11:56 AM

Working for a living! What a concept. Held in high regard by some, in base contempt.by others - Anyone remember Maynard G. Krebs' reaction to work? A dirty word in his mind, he's not the only one to think that way - and such as may be, relative to the issue of providing government assistance, proactive attempts to change that attitude may be both relevant and desirable -

So much as work ethics can be had and lost, as is suitable for those finding themselves in need of help perhaps a "safety net" ought be accompanied by some sort of exit strategy, lest an acute predicament lead to unending chronic dependency?

Culled from Wikipedia:
  • Workfare is an alternative model to conventional social welfare systems.

Traditional welfare benefits systems are usually awarded based on certain conditions, such as searching for work, or based on meeting criteria that would position the recipient as unavailable to seek employment or be employed. Under workfare, recipients have to meet certain participation requirements to continue to receive their welfare benefits

Most commonly, this means getting unemployed people into paid work, reducing or eliminating welfare payments to them, and creating an income that generates taxes. Furthermore, it is argued that once a person has recent employment experience, even at entry level, they are better able to obtain gainful long-term employment.

These programs, now common in Australia (as "mutual obligation"), Canada, and the United Kingdom, have generated considerable debate and controversy. In the Netherlands workfare is known as Work First, based on the Wisconsin Works program from the USA.

The rationale behind these programs is twofold. First, taxpayers may feel that they get "more value for their welfare dollar" when they observe welfare recipients working for benefits, making such programs more politically popular. Second, putting unemployed people into a workplace-like environment attempts to address the argument that one of the biggest barriers to employment for the long-term unemployed is their lack of recent workforce experience.

In the Third World, similar schemes are designed to alleviate rural poverty among day-labourers by providing state-subsidised temporary work during those periods of the year when little agricultural work is available. For example, the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) in India offers 100 days' paid employment per year for those eligible, rather than unemployment benefits on the Western model.
Also see: Welfare-to-Work Criticisms & Consequences
related to The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-22-2013 04:04 PM

The definition is flawed, Riddick. It's already been established by several groups, and documented in news stories where supporters of the group say, "you can't ask someone to work for a check. That's slavery."

For some reason when someone gets on several rolls of public assistance, and makes all that money, they are still living in poverty. If that's poverty, I would love to be poor.

Truth be known, there are two types of poverty. Those created so they can bilk the system, and those who are really needy. I would say those bilking outrank those in need 5:1.

I need to figure out how to get on a program. The (deadbeat) neighbor has a new 2013 SUV now. I'm still driving a 2010. That's embarrassing.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 08-22-2013 04:39 PM

voguy wrote: Truth be known, there are two types of poverty. Those created so they can bilk the system, and those who are really needy. I would say those bilking outrank those in need 5:1.

The number of welfare recipients in the U.S. is: 4,300,000. The number collecting food stamps is: 46,700,000. If these people are only collecting food stamps, wouldn't this mean that they are employed (a.ka. the working poor)? How else could they pay their rent and utilities etc? The average income for welfare recipients is $1,000 per month. The percent of the US population on welfare is 4.1%.

If your neighbor, that just purchased the 2013 SUV, is on welfare, how does he do this?
:huhsmile:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/
Last edited by Raggedyann on 08-22-2013 04:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”