Work for a living or collect welfare? Hmmmm....

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-25-2013 02:54 PM

Still waiting for a solution that doesn't require someone who has no vested interest telling me to give up what I have to solve a problem. Waiting......
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-25-2013 03:03 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Reading this thread is like reading one really loooong cliche.

RA,

I think one would have to live in the US and be of a particular thought process to get it.

You are right about one thing thou - there are so many who are frustrated and the only answer these elected officials can come up with is more money and I guess the rest of us who have and continue to support that process are saying to ourselves - why don't you come up with a new idea.

How much money for instance does one or collectively have to throw at the US public school system to make it work?

Those of us working and being sucked dry are just sick of it so yes this thread probably does sound like a cliche when in reality we are just so tired and disgusted.
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-25-2013 03:28 PM

Perhaps the biggest insult to paying is the fact that those legislating us paying are exempt from having to pay.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-25-2013 04:28 PM

voguy wrote: Perhaps the biggest insult to paying is the fact that those legislating us paying are exempt from having to pay.

They exempt themselves from all of the "wonderful" do gooding they do for us - Obamacare for just one.

It has gone beyond insulting to me for one being furious about it. I won't say more.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-25-2013 06:22 PM

kbot wrote: The Russians already tried this. And we see where it got them.......
The Soviet Union was a totalitarian regime. *AMERICA*, on the other hand, is all about freedom.

Knowing what it leads to, obviously no one wants a centralized state of communistic commissars in charge of everything. Indeed, that's why Obamacare has been administratively designed as jointly a public AND private business enterprise. And despite all the criticism, the fact of the matter is by law no one is being FORCED to participate in the system, as it's within an individual's purview to decide otherwise -

Don't want to carry health insurance? There's full allowance for that. Of course, at the same time there will be an accompanying penalty, and so much as there IS any paying to be done, by going it alone you can be sure there'll be no subsidy for you.

Soon the same will be true for all basic fundamental economic rights. Right in line after heath care, there'll be Foodcare, Sheltercare, Clothescare, Learningcare, Travelcare, Fun & Leisurecare, etc. etc. etc. each with an individual mandate to carry insurance policies, and associated penalty for anyone who opts out.

'Course, with all of this eventually replacing the existing social 'safety net' system, those that voluntarily forgo coverage FOR any or all their economic rights will also be going it totally alone in those areas if for any reason they find themselves in seriously troubled ways financially, either short or long term.

So join the collective public/private 'policy pool' with premiums backed by federal subsidies and be protected against the possibility of personal poverty, OR don't and accept what comes of running the risks of someday being out on a economic limb all by yourself - with clear AND distinct options, how is that at all totalitarian?

In the end and just as it should be, freedom of choice will be preserved! That's how we do it in *AMERICA*.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-25-2013 06:49 PM

Is that like getting bitch-slapped and being told it's a kiss?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-25-2013 07:20 PM

Riddick wrote: The Soviet Union was a totalitarian regime. *AMERICA*, on the other hand, is all about freedom.

Knowing what it leads to, obviously no one wants a centralized state of communistic commissars in charge of everything. Indeed, that's why Obamacare has been administratively designed as jointly a public AND private business enterprise. And despite all the criticism, the fact of the matter is by law no one is being FORCED to participate in the system, as it's within an individual's purview to decide otherwise -

Don't want to carry health insurance? There's full allowance for that. Of course, at the same time there will be an accompanying penalty, and so much as there IS any paying to be done, by going it alone you can be sure there'll be no subsidy for you.

Soon the same will be true for all basic fundamental economic rights. Right in line after heath care, there'll be Foodcare, Sheltercare, Clothescare, Learningcare, Travelcare, Fun & Leisurecare, etc. etc. etc. each with an individual mandate to carry insurance policies, and associated penalty for anyone who opts out.

'Course, with all of this eventually replacing the existing social 'safety net' system, those that voluntarily forgo coverage FOR any or all their economic rights will also be going it totally alone in those areas if for any reason they find themselves in seriously troubled ways financially, either short or long term.

So join the collective public/private 'policy pool' with premiums backed by federal subsidies and be protected against the possibility of personal poverty, OR don't and accept what comes of running the risks of someday being out on a economic limb all by yourself - with clear AND distinct options, how is that at all totalitarian?

In the end and just as it should be, freedom of choice will be preserved! That's how we do it in *AMERICA*.

Obamacare is based on RomneyCare, remember? And, here in Mass, there is a penalty - they just take it right out your tax return before you even get it, or apply it retroactively after you file. And, with Obamacare, this is only the beginning. The full range of fees - and everything that will occur as a result of the imposition of Obamacare, hasn't kicked in yet.

Riddick
Pirate

"The Perfect Gig"

Post by Riddick » 08-25-2013 08:34 PM

kbot wrote: Obamacare is based on RomneyCare, remember? And, here in Mass, there is a penalty - they just take it right out your tax return before you even get it, or apply it retroactively after you file. And, with Obamacare, this is only the beginning. The full range of fees - and everything that will occur as a result of the imposition of Obamacare, hasn't kicked in yet.
Pretty much being tradition and how business has been conducted, people are used to fees associated with goods and services - But being dinged if you DON'T avail yourself of some service or commodity, that'll take some getting used to won't it!

Kinda reminds me of the classic bit between Captain Spaulding (Groucho) and band leader Ravelli (Chico) from the Marx Brothers' move Animal Crackers:

SPAULDING: What do you fellows get an hour?

RAVELLI: For playing we get ten dollars an hour.

SPAULDING: I see. What do you get for not playing?

RAVELLI: Twelve dollars an hour.

SPAULDING: Well, cut me off a piece of that, will you?

RAVELLI: Now, for rehearsing we make a special rate, fifteen dollars an hour.

SPAULDING: That's for rehearsing? What do you get for not rehearsing?

RAVELLI: You couldn't afford it. You see if we don't rehearse we don't play, and if we don't play that runs into money.

SPAULDING: How much do you want to run into an open man-hole?

RAVELLI: Just the cover charge.

SPAULDING: Well, if you're ever in the neighborhood, drop in.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”