The One Issue Republicans and Democrats Can Agree On

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

The One Issue Republicans and Democrats Can Agree On

Post by Riddick » 07-12-2013 11:30 PM

Renewable Fuel Standard repeal: How states are chipping away at the corn lobby's hold on our energy policy
Ethanol is insane, and politicians outside the Beltway are finally fighting it.

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 07-12-2013 11:49 PM

Oh, based on the subject header, I thought you meant screwing the taxpayers. ;) :D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-19-2013 11:03 AM

Riddick - I wish they would get RID of that ethanol crud - in spite of all the claims - it has cut MPG in cars until new ethanol stuff was developed - and still lower mpg. LET alone what ethanol does to plastics --- like fuel tank pumps - one guy has had to replace his twice cause the plastic was "eaten up".

Let alone old lawnmowers - and other equip that used reg gas --

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-19-2013 09:57 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Riddick - I wish they would get RID of that ethanol crud - in spite of all the claims - it has cut MPG in cars until new ethanol stuff was developed - and still lower mpg. LET alone what ethanol does to plastics --- like fuel tank pumps - one guy has had to replace his twice cause the plastic was "eaten up".

Let alone old lawnmowers - and other equip that used reg gas --
There's lots of good reasons to say no to the corn lobby and put ethanol out to pasture. You know it, I know it, state governments know it. So much as pols and officials in Washington know it, you wouldn't know it from the way they operate.

At the same time Dems & Reps at state levels agree fuel standards for ethanol and the like are prime pork and worse, at the fed level the EPA wants to raise them by 50%. And in turning away appeals against it, the SCOTUS showed who's side they're on.

To top it all off, I see in a bait and switch the House Rules Committee rushed through to close vote passage, 216-208, under emergency rules at behest of the Ag Committee chair, a revised farm bill repealing long standing law requiring subsidy level review every five years. Rather than help curtail abuse, that bullsh!t move's caught flack from progressive, conservative AND libertarian groups as pushing though changes that only help promote even more prime pork production in DC.

IMHO any elected or appointed federal official saying with a straight face a stunt like this is "unusual" but nothing to worry about is precisely what should have everyone in an uproar! Betraying the trust of their colleagues and the electorate-at-large alike day in and day out IS business as usual in Washington AND both parties do it. You know it, I know it, they know it -

Insofar it's something we all agree on, is it something we all actually want? If not, how can any of us who'd like honesty to prevail honestly expect that when the choice comes down to two party-first/lobby-loyal lying sacks? One way or the other sending either on to DC guarantees a good hard cornholing's coming at some time or another, AND more often than not...

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”