Private paramilitaries guard Wisconsin mining site from prot

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-12-2013 01:15 AM

Fracking Leads To More Earthquakes, Study Claims

Fracking has been a contentious subject since the 1980s, though the process has been going on since 1949 in the United States. While environmental safety and health concerns are normally discussed, a new study has suggested that the process also leads to more earthquakes.

The new study was published on Thursday in the journal Science and suggests that fracking, along with the underground disposal of wastewater during the process, leads to more earthquakes.

The process of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, as it is normally called, involves pushing large amounts of water through rocks to coax out oil and natural gas from underground wells.

Industrial wastewater disposal can make an area more prone to seismic activity preceding a larger event. Along with linking earthquakes near wastewater injection sites in the US, the scientists also linked them to quakes as far away as Japan and Chile.

http://www.inquisitr.com/843233/frackin ... kes-study/

How anyone could think this an intelligent idea is beyond me. :huhsmile:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-12-2013 02:35 AM

Fan wrote: we had a recent case of a mine illegally dumping tailings and it took a vocal minority to bring it to light). There is a place for protest, there is a place for business.
Well, there ya go. I gotta say, when businesses try to pull sh!t even a vocal minority can help put 'em in their place. We've got a retail development just outside of town that's been languishing since the Great Recession started, and a once ambitious plan to bring in high-end stores has now proposed putting in a Wal-Mart.

Along with others, I'm not all too keen to see that happen. There's already one within a five minute drive of the development, and a nearby K-Mart I like to shop at, being one of their less profitable stores, would likely close. It's likely too the developer never would've got Tax Incremental Financing for a Wal-Mart based retail center.

So, not long ago I noticed a neighbor's lawn sign that read "Walk Away Wal-Mart" - Appears there's a citizen revolt in the works and I tellya whut, to me a walk in mass protest sounds like a mighty fine response TO a really revoltin' development!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-12-2013 05:23 PM

What you won't see on the nightly news...

From KUWS Wisconsin Public Radio -

Mining raid video goes viral, is condemned
  • Video has surfaced of the incident that led to criminal charges against a Stevens Point woman for theft and damage to property at a potential northern Wisconsin mining site. Shawn Johnson reports.

26-year-old Katie Kloth is scheduled to appear Monday in Iron County Court on one felony charge and three misdemeanors. She allegedly stole a camera from a woman working at the Gogebic Taconite test drill site. In the video that was posted to Facebook Wednesday night, a masked woman is seen ripping a camera away from a worker at the test drills.

NAT_CAMERA "Do not take my camera. (Get out of our home!)" (:04)

In the profanity-laced video, several people wearing masks shout at workers. The same woman who grabbed the camera tells workers she hopes they commit suicide. Gogebic spokesman Bob Seitz says he doesn't think the people of Wisconsin would find the behavior acceptable.

"I think when they see that, they're going to understand why we have security up there and why we take this situation very seriously."

GTac's critics also denounced those in the video. Frank Koehn, President of the anti-mine Penokee Hills Education Project and editor of save-the-waters-edge-dot-com, has led peaceful hikes to the test drill sites. He says the behavior in the video is counter-productive.

"We don't win friends and influence people when we're being aggressive and screaming and hollering and shouting at people. That's not going to protect the water and certainly isn't going to help us as we try to do so."

The heavily armed security agency GTac hired following the incident, Arizona-based Bulletproof Securities, has been temporarily removed from the mining site because it was operating without a Wisconsin license. Bulletproof has since applied for a license. The State (Department of Safety and Professional Services) won't comment on whether the company will be penalized for operating without one.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”