Rand Paul says that humans will marry non humans without DOM

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-30-2013 10:25 AM

By the way, for those who think I don't believe in traditional marriage.

Reminds me of that joke.

Q - What is the definition of polygamy?
A - One too many wives.

Q - What is the definition of marriage?
A - Same thing.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-30-2013 01:34 PM

For it, against it? One too many wives? Not an issue in my case...

Outside of raising a family my take is marriage is optional. I've never been wed, not that I hadn't considered it. In that instance, my interest in pursuing it wasn't reciprocated.

Looking back, it's probably for the best. Our relationship came and went. Better than two years to start, split up for a year, back together for another half dozen or so. Stayed in touch for another three after that. She's pretty much kept to herself since then.

When we met, you could feel the click. She said people like us, we find each other, even at our age. Neither of us were spring chickens. Still, after being single for so long, at least in her case the idea of marriage for life was a needless complication, as appealing a prospect as a similarly long sentence in prison.

From what she told me of her previous relationships, she was prone to suddenly and summarily end them, at times without as much as a by your leave - OTOH, ours just sort of trailed off. Even so, in that no needless complication was involved, we were spared the hassle of going through ANOTHER unnecessary legal procedure.

Our time together made for the best years of my life to this point, nothing approaching on the horizon right now that would appear to match it. Marriage is right for some, so much as folks may fear they'll miss the bliss, but you gotta know going in that people can and do change - If complications aren't your thing, why invite them?

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-30-2013 03:02 PM

After 32 years of marriage, I can say it's a lot like Ozzie & Harriot. :) I have my hobbies and she has hers. Nothing really bothers each of us to the point of saying "lets hang it up". Now that one kid is out of the house, and the other is close to it (still in college), we're looking more and more for a new residence. She wants a large room for her research and books. I need a large studio and workshop. We also want significant amount of land so we're not on top of the neighbors. There are some I like and some I think are criminally insane, but as far as I'm concerned they can do whatever they want as long as they don't bother me.

We travel well together on long trips in the car. I watch my GPS for directions, and she tells me where to go. :D
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-30-2013 10:02 PM

voguy wrote: After 32 years of marriage, I can say it's a lot like Ozzie & Harriot. :)
For sitcom couple comparisons, I'd say my parent's marriage was like the Bunkers, dad being tempermental and mom being stoic. My oldest sister's is like the Bickersons, but not terribly so. None come to mind for my brother's or other sister's.

What does come more to mind is this Abbott and Costello give and take:

Abbott: You know nothing about marriage, Costello. Marriage is a great institution.

Costello: But who wants to live in an institution?

Abbott: Costello, marriage is wonderful.

Costello: Yeah, marriage is like a three ring circus.

Abbott: A three ring circus?

Costello: Sure. Engagement ring, marriage ring, and suffer-ring!

Abbott: How can you talk like that? You've never been married. You don't even know what a husband is.

Costello: I do too!

Abbott: All right, what IS a husband?

Costello: A husband is a sweetheart after the nerve has been killed.

Abbott: Costello, you're a dope! You don't have to worry about marriage. Very few would marry you.

Costello: Very few would be enough!

Abbott: Talk sense, Costello! Why didn't you try to make a hit with that nice girl my wife introduced you to, Tessie Tinfoil?

Costello: I had to give her up, Abbott. Her father didn't like me.

Abbott: Her father wanted you to marry her!

Costello: I said he didn't like me!

Abbott: Her father said he'd pay half your expenses if you got married!

Costello: Yeah, but who's gonna pay the other half?

Abbott: Costello, you're always thinking about money. When I got married, I was just a struggling young actor...

Costello: I know you struggled, but you didn't get away!

Abbott: Why aren't you more like your brother Pat? There's a happily married man! Why, I heard Pat's wife say she couldn't wait until she heard the patter of little feet around the house.

Costello: Well it won't be long now Abbott.

Abbott: You mean...??

Costello: Yep. Pat's taking up tap dancing!

Abbott: Oh... get me outta here!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-30-2013 10:13 PM

Another Abbott and Costello routine.
Bud poses a hypothetical (and inappropriate, at least initially) relationship for Lou.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”