How to talk politics

Moderator: Super Moderators

LisaA
Pirate

How to talk politics

Post by LisaA » 06-13-2013 05:32 PM

This is not an advice posting. This is a discussion of political correspondence on comment places like that of Big Hollywood.

I'm getting in trouble because I'm not sufficiently negative about a political idea. I'm in a flame war with a fellow of my same "side" because I didn't say I hate every single one of those who identify themselves as a certain religion.

Don't we have a responsibility to communicate our ideas about our chosen philosophies? I discovered that if people get in a big "rah rah for our side" session, from the outside it looks ignorant and laughable.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-13-2013 07:46 PM

Politics and religion do not mix very well.

One does not "hate" - one may dislike a specific decree of a religious faction - like what the Westborough (?SP) church group does or attempts to do at funerals. Or the cult type group of Jihadists, or many others.

But specifics being lacking - is it against all of a specific religion or a group or ??

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-13-2013 07:50 PM

While people on the outside see laughable ignorance, seems rather than a vice many inside the 'rah-rah' community consider negativity in the pursuit of pushing a POV to be a virtue -

For that matter, in political talks all too many folks see only two sides, and on each side opinions MUST conform to the 'norm' or are not to be tolerated - if you're not "on board" 110%, you're not a member of the "team"...

Once that's sorted out for the truly hardcore it's not how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose.
Last edited by Riddick on 06-14-2013 01:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: How to talk politics

Post by Fan » 06-14-2013 10:59 AM

LisaA wrote: This is not an advice posting. This is a discussion of political correspondence on comment places like that of Big Hollywood.

I'm getting in trouble because I'm not sufficiently negative about a political idea. I'm in a flame war with a fellow of my same "side" because I didn't say I hate every single one of those who identify themselves as a certain religion.

Don't we have a responsibility to communicate our ideas about our chosen philosophies? I discovered that if people get in a big "rah rah for our side" session, from the outside it looks ignorant and laughable.

Overly broad sweeping stereotypes and condemnation is not intellectual, it is emotional. You can't debate emotion. The best you can do is say your peace, and hope it sinks in eventually.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-14-2013 11:09 AM

I think that it can be safely said that virtually every religion is somehow connected with violent acts. Sad commentary, but true.

People attempt, for whatever reason, to "convert" people to their beliefs, whether through "the call to evangelization", or some perceived need to identify and attempt to correct what they see as some wrong being committed. Some go by the "I'll give you three chances (warnings) to change your views on religion and convert to my faith, and if you don't, I'll kill you...". But, people need to stop, step back, take a breath and realize that, in the end, if you believe in religion (of whatever kind) chances are, what's imbedded in the core of your avowed belief system, is the kernal that, in the end, it is YOUR actions, YOUR soul, that is being judged. Not, anyone else's.

So, people (myself included, I've concluded since my surgeries), need to dial it back and do whatever it is to do some introspection and see how they can better themselevs. The actions or thoughts/ beliefs of everyohe else is outside your ability to control.

I used to argue/ discuss religion with people before. Can't do it now. It's not my place to judge others.......

LisaA
Pirate

How it turned out

Post by LisaA » 06-14-2013 02:51 PM

I kept talking and we worked it out. Who he thought was the bad guys by virtue of their religious identification, I thought was too sweeping.

I concluded that I have a responsibility to talk about my ideas and ideals effectively, not to stir up emotions.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”