The "Going Through Your Stuff" Issue

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-21-2013 02:12 PM

And, from the "I'm going to separate myself from the Bush-era policies Dept"........

Obama nominates former Bush official Comey to head FBI

President Barack Obama on Friday nominated James Comey, a former Justice Department official who helped oversee national surveillance programs under President George W. Bush, as the director of the FBI.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/20 ... d-fbi?lite

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-21-2013 02:18 PM

Uh-oh....... No wonder our government hates the foreign media so much.........

Snippet:

The Guardian is publishing in full two documents submitted to the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (known as the Fisa court), signed by Attorney General Eric Holder and stamped 29 July 2009. They detail the procedures the NSA is required to follow to target "non-US persons" under its foreign intelligence powers and what the agency does to minimize data collected on US citizens and residents in the course of that surveillance.

The documents show that even under authorities governing the collection of foreign intelligence from foreign targets, US communications can still be collected, retained and used.

The procedures cover only part of the NSA's surveillance of domestic US communications. The bulk collection of domestic call records, as first revealed by the Guardian earlier this month, takes place under rolling court orders issued on the basis of a legal interpretation of a different authority, section 215 of the Patriot Act.

The Fisa court's oversight role has been referenced many times by Barack Obama and senior intelligence officials as they have sought to reassure the public about surveillance, but the procedures approved by the court have never before been publicly disclosed.

The top secret documents published today detail the circumstances in which data collected on US persons under the foreign intelligence authority must be destroyed, extensive steps analysts must take to try to check targets are outside the US, and reveals how US call records are used to help remove US citizens and residents from data collection.

However, alongside those provisions, the Fisa court-approved policies allow the NSA to:

• Keep data that could potentially contain details of US persons for up to five years;

• Retain and make use of "inadvertently acquired" domestic communications if they contain usable intelligence, information on criminal activity, threat of harm to people or property, are encrypted, or are believed to contain any information relevant to cybersecurity;

• Preserve "foreign intelligence information" contained within attorney-client communications;

• Access the content of communications gathered from "U.S. based machine[s]" or phone numbers in order to establish if targets are located in the US, for the purposes of ceasing further surveillance.

The broad scope of the court orders, and the nature of the procedures set out in the documents, appear to clash with assurances from President Obama and senior intelligence officials that the NSA could not access Americans' call or email information without warrants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... ut-warrant

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-21-2013 03:12 PM

kbot wrote: Funny how that works out? The IRS collects the taxes, and then gives themselves bonuses. Congress gets automatic pay increases while people who collect social security see their checks decrease over time. The sad part is, we put-up with this crap.....
American voters just can't say "no"
We're in a terrible fix
We always elect the same old bums
Just when we oughta say nix!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-21-2013 04:30 PM

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 06:16 PM

Edward Snowden Charged With Espionage Over NSA Leaks: Report

WASHINGTON, June 21 (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors have filed a sealed criminal complaint charging Edward Snowden, who disclosed American telephone and internet surveillance programs, with espionage, theft and conversion of government property, the Washington Post reported on Friday.

The United States also has asked Hong Kong to detain the former National Security Agency contractor on a provisional arrest warrant, the Post reported, citing unnamed U.S. officials. Snowden is reported to be in hiding in Hong Kong.

The criminal complaint was filed in the Eastern District of Virginia, where Snowden's former employer, Booz Allen Hamilton, is located, the Post reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... 80984.html
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

cherry
Pirate

OBAMA -- The United States does not torture.

Post by cherry » 06-22-2013 01:00 AM

Someone reported Snowden was on medical leave for epilepsy ..... :(

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: OBAMA -- The United States does not torture.

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 02:11 AM

cherry wrote: Someone reported Snowden was on medical leave for epilepsy ..... :(

Sorry to hear my new hero has epilepsy. That's the least of his problems right now, me thinks. :(
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-22-2013 07:59 AM

The British Are All Up In Our Sh*t, Too
A new report says British spy agency GCHQ collects and stores vast quantities of global email messages, Facebook posts, internet histories and calls. And then shares them with the NSA.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-22-2013 09:12 AM

Has anyone ever taken a serious look at all the cameras that have sprung-up in your respective areas? From banks to stores, to street and intersection cameras, highways, toll booths, they're auto-populating it seems.....

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-22-2013 09:48 AM

kbot - and they aren't owned by the police, sheriffs but some private company -- many of them - but store ones...to help stop theft.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 02:01 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: kbot - and they aren't owned by the police, sheriffs but some private company -- many of them - but store ones...to help stop theft.

Criminals still haven't got it through their thick heads yet. How many times do we see thugs getting caught because they had no idea they were being filmed? This part is the plus side. It's the other side that makes me nervous. :eek:

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-22-2013 02:02 PM

kbot wrote: Has anyone ever taken a serious look at all the cameras that have sprung-up in your respective areas? From banks to stores, to street and intersection cameras, highways, toll booths, they're auto-populating it seems.....

I have and as a matter of fact have you ever been in the grocery store and had an itch in a certain spot and you have to scratch it and yet you KNOW in your heart they are watching????????

The eyes are everywhere EXCEPT in the halls of elected officials or if they are they are it is strictly for their safety and anything else which might be caught is off the record.

:(
A man's character is his fate

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-22-2013 02:16 PM

Diogenes wrote: I have and as a matter of fact have you ever been in the grocery store and had an itch in a certain spot and you have to scratch it and yet you KNOW in your heart they are watching????????

:lolchimp:

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-23-2013 12:50 AM

kbot wrote: Has anyone ever taken a serious look at all the cameras that have sprung-up in your respective areas? From banks to stores, to street and intersection cameras, highways, toll booths, they're auto-populating it seems.....

I can't help it but I pick out cams everywhere and end up either staring into them accidentally or trying to hide my face from them.

That is not a free country I don't care what anyone says. If I am always being spied upon I am not free.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-23-2013 11:03 AM

YES store cameras are "helpful" in catching criminals. The ones on the stop lights -- they found were being tampered with by one company (cause they get $$ for everyone they catch too) and got caught and sued. (one of the metro six lane where the turn lane time was not long enough for a car to make the turn before light changed.)

---
Now bout that itch.... hehehee.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”