Voting on the Internet

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Voting on the Internet

Post by Raggedyann » 05-18-2013 01:52 PM

Recently, we had an election in Alberta and British Columbia. In both elections the pollsters got it dead wrong. And then of course, their was the Obama win over Romney and that polling fiasco. The pollsters seem to be blaming their failure on the fact that people under 55 did not turn up at the polls and they had been included in the surveys.

My question for all of our computer wizards on the FF is, how efficient, or safe would it be to vote on the Internet? Is it feasible?
Last edited by Raggedyann on 05-18-2013 01:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-28-2013 03:53 PM

I don't think it is any more unsafe than voting machines that are internet connected, if anything it would be harder to game the system since you could possibly design a better system, and there is actual records of responses and traffic logs etc...

The problem with current systems is that they are closed source so no security audits can be done, there is no paper trail, and they are mishandled by amateurs.

I am pretty sure I could preliminarily design a simple online voting system that would be secure and provide a possibility of audits. It would need to be worked on by a team of open-source programmers and examined worldwide for flaws, as all open-source software is. You would not be able to hide a backdoor, or any sort of malicious code.

Basically, no matter what, if one/very few company(ies) are in charge you cannot know what is going on.

It has been shown that there has been widespread fraud in both the USA and Canada for the last few elections.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-28-2013 06:07 PM

I guess the fraud issue is the real reason for no online voting. They may not be able to implement this anymore. I hope voting online will come to pass sooner rather than later.

Our younger generation spend most of their lives online, it only makes sense to find a way to include them in the election process because they don't vote under today's system. Not in large numbers anyhow. For some reason, the older generation always expect the young folks to fit in with their archaic processes and ideas. I can understand why Generation X is bitter at the Boomers. I guess the younger folks are just good for making somebody a profit, and they are not worth accommodating. :(
Last edited by Raggedyann on 05-28-2013 06:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-28-2013 07:09 PM

"archaic processes and ideas"

Like leaving the house to vote? If they're that pathetic I rather they didn't.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-28-2013 07:37 PM

BenSlain wrote: "archaic processes and ideas"

Like leaving the house to vote? If they're that pathetic I rather they didn't.

There was a time when people had to ride miles and miles on horseback, over rough terrain, and in bad weather, just to cast a vote. Then we became modern. :)

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-30-2013 03:41 PM

Raggedyann wrote: There was a time when people had to ride miles and miles on horseback, over rough terrain, and in bad weather, just to cast a vote. Then we became modern. :)

THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! If people had to put in an effort they would pay more attention .

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-30-2013 03:47 PM

Democracy? There's an app for that....

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-30-2013 03:52 PM

The younger generation has no problem finding a Starbucks or organic smoothie at 2am if need be. They can find their way to the nearest Apple store to check out the latest and greatest devices.

Isn't all about what is important to you?

We have done a lousy job in this country about educating our kids relative to history and it's importance to liberties and freedoms.
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-30-2013 04:05 PM

Come on guys, kids know that voting is futile, and it is our generation(s) that allowed this to happen.

It is not apathy, it is reality. Voting for the lesser of two evils is an exercise in mental gymnastics that you choose to undertake, I don't blame anyone who chooses not to.

You really think young people voting would have made some sort of a difference? Maybe Romney would have won then? Or in Canada the NDP? That would have improved the world? Come on. The whole game is rigged, and kids are savvy enough to see that. Just look at how Ron Paul was treated, it is a joke.

This is not a democracy, neither of our countries is a real democracy. Voting matters very little, but it is a good way to make you think you matter.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-30-2013 05:31 PM

George Carlin spelled it out much the way you have, Fan.

The man may be gone, but his summary still reverberates...

"It's called the American Dream 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it."

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-30-2013 05:43 PM

Fan wrote: Come on guys, kids know that voting is futile, and it is our generation(s) that allowed this to happen.

It is not apathy, it is reality. Voting for the lesser of two evils is an exercise in mental gymnastics that you choose to undertake, I don't blame anyone who chooses not to.

You really think young people voting would have made some sort of a difference? Maybe Romney would have won then? Or in Canada the NDP? That would have improved the world? Come on. The whole game is rigged, and kids are savvy enough to see that. Just look at how Ron Paul was treated, it is a joke.

This is not a democracy, neither of our countries is a real democracy. Voting matters very little, but it is a good way to make you think you matter.

The young are disillusioned, as I learned when my daughter said she wasn't going to bother voting in the recent BC election. Perhaps it will be the younger generation that will seek change in the future and in ways other than voting. :eek:

As to your point about Ron Paul. What did you find about him that was any different than the rest of the scam artists? Or are you just referring to the fact that the press ignored him?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 05-30-2013 06:32 PM

The young aren't savvy, and it still would've been better if Romney had won. Having said that, "cell phone voting" won't help here. Rather, citizens should be banned from voting based on their cell phone habits, perhaps via hourly usage, number of texts sent, what apps they use, etc. Any habitual players of the "Candy Crush Saga" are disenfranchised for life.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-30-2013 06:56 PM

HB3 wrote: Democracy? There's an app for that....
http://www.appsfordemocracy.org/

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-31-2013 08:48 AM

Diogenes wrote: The younger generation has no problem finding a
organic smoothie at 2am if need be.

Sounds kinda perverted.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”