Chris Christie claims Scooby-Doo was his favorite show when

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Chris Christie claims Scooby-Doo was his favorite show when

Post by Riddick » 04-23-2013 09:12 PM

By Caryn Shinske
Published on Sunday, April 21st, 2013 at 7:30 a.m.

Gov. Chris Christie discusses his favorite childhood TV show with a 4-year-old audience member during an April 11, 2013 town hall meeting in Branchburg.

For nearly two years, mighty PolitiFact New Jersey has dogged Gov. Chris Christie on topics ranging from job growth to taxes to education reform.

But we’re putting those concerns aside for now to examine a topic of major significance: his favorite childhood cartoon.

The governor wore a broad grin at a recent town hall meeting in Branchburg as he and a 4-year-old audience member talked about their favorite cartoons. The boy told Christie he was a big Scooby Doo fan.

"When I was 4, my favorite show was Scooby Doo, too," Christie told the boy, who had told the governor that Scooby-Doo is his favorite.

Ah, once again there is scandal in Trenton.

Timing, it seems, isn’t everything.

Call this a case of what did the governor watch and when did he watch it.

PolitiFact New Jersey has found that while Scooby-Doo apparently made quite the impression on a precocious young Christie, he was older than 4 when the show began airing.

This mystery isn’t as difficult to figure out as the ones uncovered by the teenage sleuths in Scooby-Doo, but let’s start by reviewing some basic facts about the governor and the actual TV show produced by cartoon masters Hanna-Barbera.

Chris Christie was born on Sept. 6, 1962 in Newark, according to multiple databases, among them Project VoteSmart.org and Biography.com. So he’s 50 and would have turned 4 in 1966.

Now let’s look at the history of the TV show "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!"

The Internet Movie Database, which tracks movies, TV shows, celebrity news and more, states the TV show premiered on Sept. 13, 1969. The series aired until 1972 and followed the adventures of four teenagers and a dog named Scooby-Doo who traveled around in a van dubbed The Mystery Machine, solving various mysteries.

So given the governor’s birth date and the official premiere date of "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" Christie would have been 7 years old – not 4 -- if he watched the show’s first episode.

We’ll give the governor props for remembering his favorite show as a child, but it’s not surprising that he’s off with the timing of when Scooby-Doo aired.

"Well, I’m older than the Governor by a year, and Scooby-Doo was one of my favorite cartoons too, in addition to the Road Runner and the Flintstones," Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak said in an e-mail. "I don’t think I could have recalled on the fly – or even if my own kids asked me right now -- when it was I started watching them. We all just know those characters were a part of our childhoods. I chalk it up to the blur of childhood memories and getting older."

And we thought we had something here.

Our ruling

Christie told a 4-year-old fan of Scooby-Doo at a recent town hall meeting, "When I was 4, my favorite show was Scooby-Doo, too."

The governor couldn’t have been 4 and been watching "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" since it didn’t begin airing until 1969 and he was born in 1962. That means he would have been 7 years old if he watched the premiere episode of the Hanna-Barbera classic.

As Scooby-Doo character Velma would proclaim: "Jinkies!" Like Drewniak, we’ll chalk this one up to age. Who among us can instantly identify the years our favorite childhood shows were televised? So in this one, Gov, we give you not a False or True. But a pass.

Here’s a list of popular cartoons that aired in 1966, when Chris Christie was 4 years old:

Atom Ant
Bugs Bunny
Cool McCool
Flintstones
Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles
Hoppity Hooper
Jetsons
King Kong
Magilla Gorilla
Mighty Heroes
Milton the Monster
Porky Pig
Road Runner
Secret Squirrel
Space Ghost
Space Kidettes
The Beagles
The Beatles
The Lone Ranger
The New Adventures of Superman
The New Casper Cartoon Show
The Super 6
The Tom & Jerry Show
Underdog

Source: TVParty.com

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/ar ... favorite-/

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 04-24-2013 01:35 AM

I also like SCOOBY DOO (The original series NOT THIS NEW GARBAGE!!)

cherry
Pirate

JFK

Post by cherry » 05-07-2013 06:44 AM

Davey and Goliath
Television Series

Davey and Goliath is a 1960s stop-motion animated children's Christian television series. The programs, produced by the Lutheran Church in America, were produced by Art Clokey after the success of his Gumby series. Wikipedia

First episode: January 1, 1960
Final episode: 1964
Theme song: Davey and Goliath Theme song
Program creator: Art Clokey
Genres: Special Interest, Animation, Children's television series

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-07-2013 10:34 AM

Christie reveals secret stomach surgery to lose weight

I can't imagine what a thin Chris Christie will look like? Good for him! :)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/c ... 6awWgFY6nN
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-07-2013 08:43 PM

So Gov Christie wants to lose weight.

I wonder if his new diet includes Scooby Snacks?

Heck, Shaggy ate 'em and look how skinny HE was.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-07-2013 09:09 PM

cherry wrote: Davey and Goliath
Television Series
Would you believe after an almost 30-year hiatus from TV, Davey and Goliath returned as part of a Mountain Dew commercial with full blessing from the ELCA? It's true!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-07-2013 11:01 PM

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-07-2013 11:13 PM

I just love shaggy. Great character :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-08-2013 02:01 AM

Fan wrote: I just love shaggy. Great character :)
And for 40 years voiced by America's All-Time Top 40 DJ Casey Kasem!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-08-2013 10:44 AM

BOYS LOVED SCOOOOBIE DOOOOOOOOBIE DOOOOOOOOO!

Do hope the stomach surgery works well for him. Known two people over the last few years who had similar. One did very well - other -- ehh...some.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-08-2013 02:35 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: BOYS LOVED SCOOOOBIE DOOOOOOOOBIE DOOOOOOOOO!

Do hope the stomach surgery works well for him. Known two people over the last few years who had similar. One did very well - other -- ehh...some.

Honestly it's like reigning in (I think) any excess problem or habit one is trying to rid themselves of - if you don't make up your mind you are sick of a, b, c or d, then more than likely you won't give up any habit.

I've known folks as well who have stretched their stomachs out again.
A man's character is his fate

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-08-2013 03:46 PM

TV and comic book writer Mark Evanier had great success with stomach surgery, still in the neighborhood of 100 pounds lighter since the operation in 2006.

Interestingly enough, Mark was a key contributor in creating the character of Scrappy-Doo, Scooby's nephew. Less than well received by more than a few fans of the show, you can read about the genesis of the pugnacious pup at his blog -

http://www.povonline.com/scrappydays/scrappy01.htm

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-10-2013 12:40 AM

Mark Evanier comments on Chris Christie's surgery -

http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/05/07/band-on-the-run/

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-04-2013 12:11 AM

Major Democratic donors flock to Christie

Gov. Chris Christie is cashing in donations from top Democratic fundraisers and other traditionally liberal donors across the country, even nabbing the support of a handful of rainmakers aligned with President Obama and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, a Star-Ledger review of state and federal records shows.

The checks are flying into the Republican governor’s war chest from all sorts of unlikely places — the hedge fund run by liberal billionaire George Soros, for example, and the politically progressive halls of the University of California, Berkeley.

The nascent support from Democratic donors is an early sign of Christie’s fundraising prowess in a potential run for the White House in 2016, experts and Democratic donors said, and dovetails with recent polls showing him gaining popularity nationally among Democrats and independents.

Full Story

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”