Second Presidential Debate

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-17-2012 01:44 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Romney started off being rude and aggressive to the mod. He thought he could run all over her as he had the last one. She sure let him know who was running the show. :)

RA in all fairness, in the US we have a major problem with the MSM - Crowley has been quoted as saying the Romney/Ryan ticket is a death wish. Of course Governor Romney was aggressive - if the shoe were on the other foot and Sean Hannity were the moderator how do you think President Obama would have acted?

There are folks who read not much of anything but they watch these debates and they make their minds up based upon these debates so every nuance, every aswer, every expression, etc. is monumental in terms of potential impact.

Honestly I don't know that we couldn't have substituted Candy Crowley with Joy Behar - not much difference except one calls herself a journalist and the other is I am not sure what.
A man's character is his fate

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 10-17-2012 02:00 PM

Candy and her like are just balancing out "Fair & Balanced" Fox News, the highest rated News Channel. Not nice to screw around with a powerful female CNN reporter... cause she's gonna get ya in the end. :D

Seriously, what did anybody really learn from this gladiator charade? Last time it was Romney 1, Obama 0. This time it was Obama 1 and Romney 0. Candy 10!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:05 PM

Not nice to screw around with a powerful female CNN reporter... cause she's gonna get ya in the end
Yeah, except for the part where she had to apologize and backtrack on her own network.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:14 PM

"Balance":
Bizarre Coincidence: Democrats Get More Time in All Three Debates

If you want more time to get your message out in debates, it’s good to be a Democrat.

According to the CNN debate clock, President Obama spoke at greater length than Mitt Romney during both debates, as did Vice President Biden during his debate with Paul Ryan. In the first debate, Obama spoke for 3 minutes, 14 seconds more than Romney — which means he got 8 percent more talking time than Romney. In last night’s debate, Obama spoke for 4 minutes and 18 seconds longer than Romney, giving him 11 percent more talking time. Obama talked for 52 percent of the time when either man had the floor, while Romney talked for 47 percent.

During the vice presidential debate, the gap wasn’t as wide: Biden spoke for 1 minute, 22 seconds more than Ryan. Still, that gave Biden 3 percent more speaking time than Ryan.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/33 ... ina-trinko

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 10-17-2012 02:15 PM

HB3 wrote: Yeah, except for the part where she had to apologize and backtrack on her own network.

CNN’s Candy Crowley denied Wednesday morning that she had moved away from her own comments on Libya when she moderated the previous night’s debate.

During a back-and-forth on Libya Tuesday night, Mitt Romney argued that President Obama did not call the Benghazi attack an “act of terror” until 14 days after the assault. Crowley jumped in, saying, “It — he did in fact, sir.” She went on to tell Romney, “It did as well take — it did as well take two weeks or so for the whole idea there being a riot out there about this tape to come out. You are correct about that.”

On ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan said that Crowley had already taken back the first part of that statement. “The moderator said that she — that he was right in the main on this, that she wasn’t correct in pointing out that he made reference to this being a specific terrorist attack,” he said.

What Crowley said on CNN after the debate: Romney “was right in the main, I just think he picked the wrong word.” But on the same network Wednesday morning, she said she was in no way taking back her original interjection.

“Listen, what I said on that stage is the same thing I said to you actually last night,” she told Soledad O’Brian. “[W]e got hung up on this ‘yes he said,’ ‘no I didn’t,’ ‘I said terror,’ ‘you didn’t say terror.’ … So I said, [President Obama] did say ‘acts of terror, call it an act of terror, but Governor Romney, you are perfectly right that it took weeks for them to get past the tape.’”

Asked if that was a backtrack, Crowley said, “No. The question was — we got so stuck on that ‘act of terror.’ Now, did the President say this was an act of terror? The president did not say — he said ‘these acts of terror,’ but he was in the Rose Garden to talk about Benghazi, so I don’t think that’s a leap.” (The exact phrase Obama used: “no acts of terror.”)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... in-debate/

Regardless of who said what, maybe Romney will refrain from steam rolling over the mod during the next debate. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-17-2012 02:18 PM

Real Fact Check

http://www.therightfacts.com/complet-fa ... ial-debate
Final count: Barack Obama had 14 false statements. Mitt Romney had 2 false statements. Debate moderator Candy Crowley had 1 false statement.

interesting read....

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:20 PM

Raggedyann wrote: CNN’s Candy Crowley denied Wednesday morning that she had moved away from her own comments on Libya when she moderated the previous night’s debate.

During a back-and-forth on Libya Tuesday night, Mitt Romney argued that President Obama did not call the Benghazi attack an “act of terror” until 14 days after the assault. Crowley jumped in, saying, “It — he did in fact, sir.” She went on to tell Romney, “It did as well take — it did as well take two weeks or so for the whole idea there being a riot out there about this tape to come out. You are correct about that.”

On ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan said that Crowley had already taken back the first part of that statement. “The moderator said that she — that he was right in the main on this, that she wasn’t correct in pointing out that he made reference to this being a specific terrorist attack,” he said.

What Crowley said on CNN after the debate: Romney “was right in the main, I just think he picked the wrong word.” But on the same network Wednesday morning, she said she was in no way taking back her original interjection.

“Listen, what I said on that stage is the same thing I said to you actually last night,” she told Soledad O’Brian. “[W]e got hung up on this ‘yes he said,’ ‘no I didn’t,’ ‘I said terror,’ ‘you didn’t say terror.’ … So I said, [President Obama] did say ‘acts of terror, call it an act of terror, but Governor Romney, you are perfectly right that it took weeks for them to get past the tape.’”

Asked if that was a backtrack, Crowley said, “No. The question was — we got so stuck on that ‘act of terror.’ Now, did the President say this was an act of terror? The president did not say — he said ‘these acts of terror,’ but he was in the Rose Garden to talk about Benghazi, so I don’t think that’s a leap.” (The exact phrase Obama used: “no acts of terror.”)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 10-17-2012 02:22 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Real Fact Check

http://www.therightfacts.com/complet-fa ... ial-debate

quote:Final count: Barack Obama had 14 false statements. Mitt Romney had 2 false statements. Debate moderator Candy Crowley had 1 false statement.

interesting read....

My laugh for the day. Thanks Cherry Kelly!
Last edited by Raggedyann on 10-17-2012 02:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 10-17-2012 02:31 PM

Mitt’s “binders full of women” not even true
Romney's "binders full of women" comment may have been funny, but it turns out to be bogus too

But that story turns out to be not quite true, according to veteran Boston Phoenix journalist David Bernstein. As Bernstein pointed out last night, what actually happened is that a bipartisan coalition of women’s groups came together to compile lists of eligible female candidates for office before the 2002 gubernatorial election had even occurred. Romney says he “went to a number of women’s groups” and asked them for the binders, but the opposite is true — they went to him. Bernstein also notes that many of the senior-level women Romney hired were given control of departments and agencies that were not a priority for the governor, while there were almost zero women working on the budget or businesses development, areas that Romney cared more about.

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/17/mitts_b ... even_true/

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-17-2012 02:42 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Candy and her like are just balancing out "Fair & Balanced" Fox News, the highest rated News Channel. Not nice to screw around with a powerful female CNN reporter... cause she's gonna get ya in the end. :D

Seriously, what did anybody really learn from this gladiator charade? Last time it was Romney 1, Obama 0. This time it was Obama 1 and Romney 0. Candy 10!

Sean Hannity is clearly partisan - no doubt about that but then he makes no bones about it - he doesn't attempt a charade of a non biased journalist - he is a political commentator with a political bent and he tells you that and his comments so clearly indicate that.

Bill O'Reilly comes across as an Independent and if you have never listened to him you might like him. He criticizes equally.

Another very intelligent man who I think is fair is Charles Krautheimer - he is on Fox and in his analysis he thought the President won.

It's one thing to have a political bent and quite another when one can't analyze fairly and deliver the bad news on either side.

The President botched the attack in Benghazi - no question about it. If you followed and follow it closely you have seen the equiovocation, the WH coming out in the form of the WH UN ambassador, Jay Carney, the President himself, Hillary - these folks have been all over the place. But then the President is an equivocator - you can't hold office and vote Present 127 times and have anyone think you are either not equivocating or simply not decisive - or perhaps more importantly you are voting Present for political reasons which would not surprise me either.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:42 PM

Oh no! He didn't hire women to positions he "cared about"!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:43 PM

Yeah, there's been a lot of "Obama won!" sycophancy on Fox the last 24 hours.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-17-2012 02:45 PM

Last night, President Obama presented himself as a crusader for women's issues. He later tweeted:

Mitt Romney still won’t say whether he’d stand up for equal pay, but he did tell us he has “binders full of women.” OFA.BO/LMVWmZ

— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) October 17, 2012

What's interesting about this is President Obama's own history with women in the work place.

When one of President Obama's debate coaches, Anita Dunn, worked at the White House, this is what she reportedly had to say about her experience there:

“This place would be in court for a hostile workplace. ... Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women.”

In the same piece, former economic adviser Christina Romer is reported as saying, "I felt like a piece of meat."

“‘I felt like a piece of meat,’ Christina Romer, former head of the Council of Economic Advisers, said of one meeting in which Suskind writes she was ‘boxed out’ by Summers,” reported the Post.

Time magazine called Obama's White House a "Boys' Club."

"Coverage in the Washington Post and a new book by Ron Suskind has focused attention on the frustration of Obama’s female advisers. But the problem has been obvious almost since Obama took office. And while the explanations so far have blamed members of the mostly-departed boys club–Robert Gibbs, Rahm Emanuel–Obama himself is responsible for a work atmosphere that marginalizes and ignores women," wrote Time.

And Obama's own staff is mostly made up of males, who, as the Washington Free Beacon reported, get paid more than their female counterparts.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/oba ... 54745.html

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-17-2012 02:47 PM

You are absolutly correct on this - his record relative to "real time" within his own administration is not steallar.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 10-17-2012 03:01 PM

HB3 wrote: Oh no! He didn't hire women to positions he "cared about"!

He didn't recruit women either like he said he did.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”