Ashcroft to Head Blackwater's Ethics Division

Moderator: Super Moderators

rumike
Pirate

Ashcroft to Head Blackwater's Ethics Division

Post by rumike » 05-04-2011 04:46 PM

Ok, right now I'm like a comedian with too much good material to work with. Where to start with a story like this? At first I checked to see it it was from the Onion. Sadly, no, it's real.
Xe Services, the military contractor formally known as Blackwater, announced today that former Attorney General John Ashcroft would be advising the company on ethics.

Politico reports:

Ashcroft, who became a controversial figure while serving as George W. Bush's attorney general from 2001 to 2005, will head the company's subcommittee on governance, which "will focus on the company's efforts to maximize governance, compliance and accountability, continuing to build and promote the highest degrees of ethics and professionalism within the private security industry."

As Wired puts it, it means that Xe is continuing to try to reshape its image — the company was found to have killed civilians while working on government contracts during the Iraq war — and send a "clear signal it's not giving up the quest for lucrative government security contracts now that it's no longer owned by founder Erik Prince, even as it emphasizes the side of its business that trains law enforcement officers."

"I'm delighted to be involved in USTC's next phase of ownership and growth, particularly in helping to oversee its commitment to professionalism, compliance and accountability within the security industry," The Hill quotes Ashcroft as saying. "This is a company with a strong history of service to its country, and a reputation of best-in-class offerings to its public and private customers. I look forward to helping USTC enhance its governance and oversight capabilities as the company moves forward."

As attorney general, Ashcroft was a supporter of the the Patriot Act, but he's also known for having stood up to the Bush administration on the issue of warrantless wiretapping.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... t=1&f=1001
Anchors Aweigh!

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 05-05-2011 11:37 AM

You just can't make this stuff up....

.. unfortunately.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-05-2011 01:38 PM

Rom - now don't have a heart attack on this - but I agree this is -- ludicrous (for lack of a better term).

I agree - Blackwater - baddddd - or the workers they employed through their subsidiaries.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-06-2011 12:33 AM

Somehow I DON'T believe Ashcroft will make them better... just show them how to bend the Law even moreso than they've already learned to do. And don't forget - their leader is an evangelical who believes the only good Muslim is a dead Muslim. And when they're finished with the Muslims, who will they come for next? The Jews? The moderates? The ones who are spiritual instead of clinging to religion and guns? The Democrats? The creative people?

Scary...
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 05-06-2011 12:41 AM

Well said Bobbi.

Get'em up against the wall...
Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-06-2011 12:42 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: Somehow I DON'T believe Ashcroft will make them better... just show them how to bend the Law even moreso than they've already learned to do. And don't forget - their leader is an evangelical who believes the only good Muslim is a dead Muslim. And when they're finished with the Muslims, who will they come for next? The Jews? The moderates? The ones who are spiritual instead of clinging to religion and guns? The Democrats? The creative people?

Scary...

Interesting, check my profile and shoot me an email if you don't mind.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-06-2011 02:30 AM

Your thread title made me lol before I even opened the thread.

Perfect. It's a match made in... well, it's a match.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-07-2011 02:04 AM

Shirleypal wrote: Interesting, check my profile and shoot me an email if you don't mind.

Sorry, no. I don't get involved with people outside of the forum. No offense meant, but Linnea warned me, when I joined, not to ever do this.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

cherry
Pirate

Janet Reno

Post by cherry » 05-25-2011 08:44 AM

Who's next? The Butcher of Waco?

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”