Costly gasoline clouds Obama re-election prospects

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 02:08 AM

Maybe if HB hears Americans telling OBAMA not to do it he will believe its not astroturfing.

Americans Tell Obama Don’t Cut Medicare
A new USA Today/Gallup Poll found that when it comes to the deficit, Americans can agree on one thing, don’t gut Medicare. 69% of those surveyed opposed major cuts to Medicare. Agreement was found among both political parties as 69% of Democrats and 61% of Republicans opposed major cuts to Medicare.

http://www.politicususa.com/en/obama-medicare

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 04-27-2011 02:11 AM

As the article points out, he is not offering (as is often the case with this President) many specifics as to how he intends to achieve these cuts. The White House is offering dollar totals however ($340 billion over the next ten years):

~snip~

The savings would come by "reducing waste, increasing accountability, promoting efficiency and improving the quality of care" in Medicare and Medicaid, according to the White House fact sheet.

The proposals to achieve them include a cap in the growth of Medicare spending per beneficiary, to GDP plus half a percent. Currently, the per-beneficiary cost is set to soar from $12,000 a year today to more than $44,000 by 2040.

His debt commission proposed capping growth in total federal health spending -- everything from Medicare to health insurance subsidies -- to the rate of economic growth plus 1% after 2020.

In addition, the president's debt-reduction framework would further strengthen the newly created Independent Payment Advisory Board to serve as an enforcer of other cost-saving Medicare reforms.

And like his commission, he's proposed ways to cut unnecessary prescription drug spending.

CNN

I think however that you are missing the point of my posts on this topic. This level of budget cutting to these programs are in a realm that Republican Presidents could only dream of. It is the reality that both the Dems and Republicans are willing to cut these programs by hundreds of billions that is alarming. Given this initial stance by the President, can you not see the compromise to come?

If BOTH parties are talking about cuts in the hundreds of billions, then we can be sure that cuts are going to come to these programs, concessions will be made to the Republicans and services will in turn suffer. Logically, it will be those who can least afford these services on their own who will feel the greatest impact.

If we ignore major cuts to these programs as proposed (however vaguely) by Democrats and/or the President - while solely focusing in on the draconian and unrealistic Republican proposals, then it is a foregone conclusion that cuts to these programs will become reality. As far as I am concerned, that would be a Republican victory, certainly not a victory for the American people.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 04-27-2011 02:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-27-2011 02:15 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Maybe if HB hears Americans telling OBAMA not to do it he will believe its not astroturfing.

Americans Tell Obama Don’t Cut Medicare

http://www.politicususa.com/en/obama-medicare

Could you at least read my posts, so I don't have to repeat myself over and over again? I'm not disputing those numbers.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 02:16 AM

The problem is Kaz, none of this has come up for a vote. None of what you are talking about accept what Ryan has put forth. I choose to focus my energies on what is really happening as to what may happen at least for the time being. It would be nice if you would admit what the GOP is doing to the elderly in this Country is wrong. They have in fact voted on it. I have yet to hear it just that well look at what the President is doing.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 02:17 AM

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."

~Mahatma Ghandi

Truer words have never been spoken.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 04-27-2011 02:25 AM

SETIsLady wrote: It would be nice if you would admit what the GOP is doing to the elderly in this Country is wrong. They have in fact voted on it. I have yet to hear it just that well look at what the President is doing.

I'm not disputing that what the GOP is proposing is bad for the elderly & poor. Can you at least read my posts instead of assigning intent and ideas that simply aren't there, while ignoring the words that are there?
Kaztronic wrote: and while the policies of one party may be less painful than those of the other,

Kaztronic wrote:
Personally, I prefer trusting these particular programs to Democrats,

Kaztronic wrote:
Democrats would ensure that such a Republican President would have HELL TO PAY (rightly so). It is a crying shame that the dreams of the Republican party on this issue will be realized by a Democratic President, whose own proposals to cut these programs while offering few specifics are not being held to account by those who are too focused on the opposition to realize their own party is quite ready and willing to sell out to the same interests that control the Republicans.

Kaztronic wrote: concessions will be made to the Republicans and services will in turn suffer. Logically, it will be those who can least afford these services on their own who will feel the greatest impact.

Kaztronic wrote: while solely focusing in on the draconian and unrealistic Republican proposals,
Kaztronic wrote: As far as I am concerned, that would be a Republican victory, certainly not a victory for the American people.
The message of my posts on this topic is that if this is to be the initial approach of Obama and the Democratic party in also proposing major cuts to these programs, then we can be sure cuts will come and concessions will be made to the Republicans on this issue. It is a weak approach to protecting these benefits to say the least, and in my opinion should also be sparking outrage amongst those so opposed to the Republican proposals given the real world impact such cuts would have on the poor and seniors.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 04-27-2011 02:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 02:28 AM

Anyhow I am going to bed, I just got home from the hospital as my husband is very ill. Was trying to get my mind off of things ( I am sure this will be held against me in future posts as anything personal I had said has been in the past.) Politics is draining to me and have to focus on what is important. Night night.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 04-27-2011 02:32 AM

I hope your husband feels better, sleep well.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 02:37 AM

Thanks Kaz, things are not well.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 04-27-2011 02:42 AM

Have faith that things will get better. I have personally seen here on the forum the power & impact that the intent, prayers, and thoughts of others can have in these scenarios - and I am certain that each of us will direct healing thoughts to your Husband, yourself, and your family in this difficult time.

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-27-2011 06:41 AM

SETIsLady wrote: And the Dems want to bring it to the floor, another vote I would love to see on record.

Pelosi Writes Boehner, Demands Vote to End Oil & Gas Subsidies

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/0 ... idies.html

Pelousy`s Days demanding and getting are over.....

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-27-2011 06:47 AM

SETIsLady wrote: I hate to tell West this but this is one of his constituents. They don't have to agree with him. They are allowed to protest. But apparently not in Wests world.
I think the idiot cussing and disrespecting a cop ...got her arrested.....Were was all this Righteous indignation when it was the T-Party doin the same thing about HEALTH CARE?

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-27-2011 06:51 AM

SETIsLady wrote: And I signed this Petition for Bold Progressives.

Bold Progress VS True Conservatism I would pay to see THAT in a STEEL cage :-D

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-27-2011 09:25 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Anyhow I am going to bed, I just got home from the hospital as my husband is very ill. Was trying to get my mind off of things ( I am sure this will be held against me in future posts as anything personal I had said has been in the past.) Politics is draining to me and have to focus on what is important. Night night.

I fell asleep before I could read this. I'm sorry to hear that.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-27-2011 09:33 AM

Thanks HB.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”