The Birthers have gone off the rails

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

The Birthers have gone off the rails

Post by SETIsLady » 04-14-2011 08:58 PM

Ok, so I have been following the correcting of the laws in several states requiring birth certificates as proof of you are legal before you can get on the Presidential ballot in certain states. I have been watching AZ specifically. So not only did they pass this birth certificate law, but if you don't have a birth certificate they will accept a certificate of circumcision and no I am not joking.

I have a couple of questions.

1- What if you are a female ?
2- Many men are not circumcised for religious purposes
3- What is the obsession with right and sexual organs these days ? First they are in woman’s reproductive business now this with the circumcision ?
4- What’s the unemployment rate in Arizona ?

Also I am not directing these comments at ANY Republican here on the ship, I am assured that all of you think this is as absurd as I do. Race, can you help me with a question all these state laws that are trying to keep the President off the ballot will they actually have any effect on a Presidential election ?

Arizona ‘birther’ law to accept circumcision papers as proof of citizenship
If you intend to run for president in Arizona but don't have the required birth certificate, all is not lost. The state may be willing to accept a description of your penis -- if you've got one -- as proof you were born in the U.S.

Before passing their so-called "birther" bill Wednesday, Arizona Republicans apparently decided it wasn't fair to limit proof of citizenship to the "long form birth certificate." So, they amended the measure to include several other forms of proof.

One such document, a certificate of circumcision, is given to the parents of a male Jewish child after his foreskin is snipped.

"Pulling out your penis in front of election officials, however, will not prove citizenship -- and, in the worst case scenario, could get labeled a sex offender," Phoenix New Times' James King noted.

Snip…

The measure was passed by the Arizona Senate Wednesday 20 to 9. The bill was sponsored by State Rep. Carl Seel, who recently met with billionaire real estate mogul and potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to discuss the legislation.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/04/14/a ... tizenship/
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... bill_c.php
Here’s the bill
http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument.as ... ion_ID=102
Last edited by SETIsLady on 04-14-2011 09:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-14-2011 11:23 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Race, can you help me with a question all these state laws that are trying to keep the President off the ballot will they actually have any effect on a Presidential election ?

SETIsLady, I believe all of these laws can not withstand Constitutional scrutiny. The Constitution of the United States prescribes the qualifications to serve as President. States can not modify them anymore than they can pass term limits or recall provisions which are binding on Federal officials (as they are not provided for in the US Constitution) which some states have also unsuccessfully attempted to do over the years.
racehorse

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-15-2011 02:18 PM

States have set term limits - for state elected people. Technically states control their "elections" within state... so technically they could limit fed elected from their states...

. . . .
heard that from a caller to local radio talk show - jotted it down and kinda forgot about it - until this came up.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 04-15-2011 05:37 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: States have set term limits - for state elected people. Technically states control their "elections" within state... so technically they could limit fed elected from their states...

This argument was rejected by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton , 514 U.S. 779 (1995).
racehorse

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-15-2011 06:23 PM

I trust your opinion Race thats why I asked. :) They actually just did an article on this in the Huffpo.

Arizona Birther Bill Is Unconstitutional, Legal Scholars Say
2012 presidential candidates could have one more challenge to getting their name on the ballot: proving to Arizona’s secretary of state that they are natural-born U.S. citizens.

Yet lawmakers and experts from across the country are saying that the bill, which passed Arizona’s House of Representatives in a landslide vote late Thursday evening, is blatantly unconstitutional.

“It wouldn’t hold up for a nanosecond,” said Laurence Tribe, a professor at Harvard Law School and one of the nation’s leading constitutional scholars who has worked for the Justice Department under President Obama. “I’m not even sure if it’s intended seriously.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/1 ... 49871.html

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-16-2011 10:07 AM

racehorse - yup I know it was taken to the Supreme Court and defeated in 1995.

Still that was several years ago now, and things have changed a lot! The people's attitudes have changed a lot. Notice how many long time congress people were voted out in the last elections - and how many are planning to NOT run in the next one. Today's population is a lot more informed and a lot faster about things happening in congress (state and federal) - who knows what could happen?

===
Seti - the constitution does say the individual must be a citizen of the USA. So whether the AZ law holds up - perhaps one should look more closely at the US constitution and ask the question - do we hold up the Constitution or not?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-18-2011 10:54 PM

Well Bravo Jan Brewer !

Arizona gov. vetoes presidential 'birther' bill

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Monday vetoed a bill to require President Barack Obama and other presidential candidates to prove their U.S. citizenship before their names can appear on the state's ballot.

The bill vetoed by Brewer on Monday would have made Arizona the first state to pass such a requirement. The Arizona bill included proof-of-qualification for all candidates appearing on Arizona ballots, with those varying by the office sought.

Hawaii officials have certified Obama was born in that state, but so-called "birthers," who falsely claim Obama was born in his father's native Kenya, have demanded more proof.

Brewer said in her veto letter that she was troubled that the bill empowered Arizona's secretary of state to judge the qualifications of all candidates when they file to run for office.

"I do not support designating one person as the gatekeeper to the ballot for a candidate, which could lead to arbitrary or politically motivated decisions," said Brewer, who was secretary of state until she became governor in 2009.

"In addition, I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for president of the greatest and most powerful nation on Earth to submit their 'early baptismal circumcision certificates' among other records to the Arizona secretary of state," she said. "This is a bridge too far."

The certificates are among the documents a candidate could submit in place of a birth certificate.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 0efadc0341

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-20-2011 12:03 PM

If Corsi`s New book that is up on Drudge now has indisputable proof that Obama was either born in Kenya or held DUAL CITIZINSHIP witch also makes him ineligible President I will DIE Laughing cause every executive order and bill he signed into law will now be NULL and VOID....No nothing Obama care? Poof gone....

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-20-2011 12:08 PM

Jerome Corsi is a fraud, nuff said

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-20-2011 12:23 PM

He torpedo`d Kerry maybe he can do the same to Obama.....Personally I am for winning in 2012 by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.....Hook...crook the Tonya Harding way I don`t care...The Man is bad for my country and for the FIRST TIME EVER I will Volunteer for the person nominated (ill hold my nose while doin so if it is Romney)Phone calls.... Door to Door...Early Vote/Election day Taxi Service I don`t give a DAME

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-20-2011 12:33 PM

I didn't work that last time he tried to this with Obama and won't work this time. But its great entertainment. ;)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-25-2011 09:12 AM

Strange - its not just the REAL birth certificate being withheld -- its ALL his records --

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=291041

Now one does really have to ask why...

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-25-2011 12:58 PM

Shazam wrote: Personally I am for winning in 2012 by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.....

A true Republican. Win at any cost. Isn't that how they did it in 2000? :rolleyes:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-25-2011 01:39 PM

it failed with Kerry??
The Dems yelled about GW's military records until they were produced, Kerry refused to post his.
oh gee guess we forgot that....
===

So here's a question - why is Obama hiding not just his long form birth certificate - but all his records - school - college - IL records (when in office there)??

What IS he hiding? let alone why...

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 04-25-2011 08:03 PM

Raggedyann wrote: A true Republican. Win at any cost. Isn't that how they did it in 2000? :rolleyes:

I don`t care how we win as long as BO is in Private life and not screwing up the economy country and the world....ill take it the 2000 way for sure

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”