The Corporate Monopoly State

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

The Corporate Monopoly State

Post by Linnea » 03-12-2011 03:42 PM

...via raw story dot com
Republicans in Michigan have come up with a revolutionary solution to the state’s growing budget crisis: claim the right to auction off entire municipal entities, like cities, counties, school districts and water systems.

In a new bill being pushed by Governor Rick Snyder (R), the governor, or a company hired by the governor, would have the power to declare municipal entities insolvent. Amid the fiscal emergency, the governor or the governor’s agent would then be empowered to appoint an emergency manager to oversee all financial matters.

Under language in the bill, that individual would be able to cancel any and all contracts — including collective bargaining rights for unions — and outright dis-incorporate whole cities, dismissing lawfully elected officials in the process.

In short, “they want a corporate monopoly state,” author Naomi Klein explained during an appearance on Wednesday’s Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
(video at link)

This takes the corporate elements of Scott Walker's plan for Wisconsin to a whole new level.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/ ... officials/

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-12-2011 04:07 PM

The elites and their minions will not be content until the fading middle class are residing in shacks in slum cities. That's how I see my great grandchildren existing if the "people" don't somehow reverse the greed train we are now powerless passengers on.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-12-2011 04:20 PM

Isn't this Fascism in action?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-12-2011 05:17 PM

Yes it is, kbot. There is something very ominous afoot in this country, being now brought forward by these new Republican governors.

Also curious, is the new reign of silence on this forum. Notice that? Is this an indication of a new apathy in the country? Or, maybe a growing awareness that we will need to seek the company and actions of groups who are in sync with our values and goals - as in, there is no longer any place for tolerance and discussion - which is not, and has not been working...? And, times are moving toward dire consequences.

I'm confused on this issue, especially following the extreme health issues that descended on me a few months ago. My perspective may be influenced by that.

Any thoughts here from anyone else on these issues?

How do we dialogue without 'politics' - or, at least without 'politics as usual'. That doesn't seem to be working much anymore. Something else seems to be afoot.

IronsGold
Pirate

Linnea...

Post by IronsGold » 03-12-2011 07:13 PM

As for myself, I've given up, sorry.

I had the TV on all day, waiting for news from Wisconsin.

Nothing. Silence. ALL DAY!

What the hell can we do? When the media decides to black us out, and ignore the working class, what is left for us?

No one is hearing us, because no one is listening....
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Linnea...

Post by Raggedyann » 03-12-2011 07:31 PM

IronsGold wrote: As for myself, I've given up, sorry.

I had the TV on all day, waiting for news from Wisconsin.

Nothing. Silence. ALL DAY!

What the hell can we do? When the media decides to black us out, and ignore the working class, what is left for us?

No one is hearing us, because no one is listening....

Today is the first day that I have noticed coverage of Wisconsin by the MSM. Fox had the story of massive protests today and so did CNN. The reason they have it on now, IMO, is that the law has been passed and the damage done. The fact that thousands of people are protesting has suddenly become news. They wouldn't cover it before because the corporate owned MSM certainly weren't going to encourage increasing the momentum for working people to get out there and have their voice heard. I know I'm stating the obvious but it feels good to write it out. Bah!

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 03-12-2011 08:01 PM

They did?! I didn't see it. I did however, see about 27,000 times, "How a Tsunami Forms"...

I think Wisconsin should have been the lead. I'm watching now, and waiting...
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-12-2011 08:14 PM

Haven't watched much TV today, Ironsgold - but do agree the msm is totally focused on the Japan disaster. My experience has been that this is all the major news is covering this weekend.

The internets are not providing much news of the Wisconsin Protests either, but the numbers of people at the rally today were the largest yet.

So, the movement of people who are supporting Wisconsin, Unions and Middle Class Workers - is as strong as ever. News coverage will return, but I agree that the MSM is not giving this the coverage that it warrants.

Updates are available here:

http://host.madison.com/

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-12-2011 09:08 PM

Reading here again and wanted to add - I believe the Japan disaster needs our focus and attention over everything else at this time. One of the largest natural disasters - and earthquakes - to happen in our lifetimes.

One lesson learned - no matter how prepared you believe you are in the face of natural events as earthquakes - nature will always have the most force and the upper hand.
:(

What did the world learn from the 250,000 - 350,000 who lost their lives in the Tsunami of 2004...
:(

Mindrealm
Pirate

Post by Mindrealm » 03-12-2011 10:54 PM

Just a couple observations. First, there is no doubt there is much afoot in America, I don't claim to have any idea of what it is, but, I notice the desire to sell an awful lot of the country off a little at a time, toll roads, ports, et al. Now this. Who would buy an American school system? Large American investors anxious to aid the young citizens of America? Is this not akin to admitting utter failure as responsible adults in running ones own governance? What foreign interest would be excited to rush in and add American municipal interest to their portfolio? Why? What return for the investment would be expected? What do you get when you mix bullspit, weasel mucous, and hogwash together?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Republicans in Michigan have come up with a revolutionary solution to the state’s growing budget crisis: claim the right to auction off entire municipal entities, like cities, counties, school districts and water systems.

In a new bill being pushed by Governor Rick Snyder (R), the governor, or a company hired by the governor, would have the power to declare municipal entities insolvent. Amid the fiscal emergency, the governor or the governor’s agent would then be empowered to appoint an emergency manager to oversee all financial matters.

Under language in the bill, that individual would be able to cancel any and all contracts — including collective bargaining rights for unions — and outright dis-incorporate whole cities, dismissing lawfully elected officials in the process.

In short, “they want a corporate monopoly state,” author Naomi Klein explained during an appearance on Wednesday’s Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, in watching coverage earlier today of the Japan diaster I noticed whenever they showed footage of the explosion at the nuclear site the camera footage was very fuzzy, much like all the ensuing commentary, whereas previous footage was pretty darn clear, including of those same reactors. Fwiw.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-13-2011 08:05 AM

I agree that the Japanese disaster has taken the spotlight - as it probably should given that millions of people's lives are affected both in Japan and across the globe.

I also agree though, that coverage of the issues in Wisconsin, and with unions across the country have pretty much tapered off, which I find surprising in that there are a number of states involved, and most assuredly, this issue of collective bargaining will at some point reach a currently Right-leaning US Supreme Court.

What I have seen on this issue is a rise in suport for unions across the country as people start to come to the realization that issue will, in the end, also affect them, even though they may not be union members, since, as the expression goes: "A rising tide lifts all boats".

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2011 02:47 PM

Mother Jones did a good article on this topic Lin.

Behind Michigan's "Financial Martial Law": Corporations and Right-Wing Billionaires

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03 ... nac-center

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”