Obama Recess Appoints 15 Top Officials

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Obama Recess Appoints 15 Top Officials

Post by SETIsLady » 03-27-2010 05:20 PM

President Obama on Saturday announced the recess appointment of 15 political appointees whose nominations had been stalled by Republicans.

They are:

* Jeffrey Goldstein: Nominee for Under Secretary for Domestic Finance, Department of the Treasury
* Michael F. Mundaca: Nominee for Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, Department of the Treasury
* Eric L. Hirschhorn: Nominee for Under Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration and head of the Bureau of Industry and Security, Department of Commerce
* Michael Punke: Nominee for Deputy Trade Representative - Geneva, Office of the United States Trade Representative
* Francisco "Frank" J. Sánchez: Nominee for Under Secretary for International Trade, Department of Commerce
* Islam A. Siddiqui: Nominee for Chief Agricultural Negotiator, Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
* Alan D. Bersin: Nominee for Commissioner, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security
* Jill Long Thompson: Nominee for Member, Farm Credit Administration Board
* Rafael Borras: Nominee for Under Secretary for Management , Department of Homeland Security
* Craig Becker: Nominee for Board Member, National Labor Relations Board
* Mark Pearce: Nominee for Board Member, National Labor Relations Board
* Jacqueline A. Berrien, Nominee for Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
* Chai R. Feldblum: Nominee for Commissioner, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
* Victoria A. Lipnic: Nominee for Commissioner, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
* P. David Lopez: Nominee for General Counsel, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

"The United States Senate has the responsibility to approve or disapprove of my nominees. But if, in the interest of scoring political points, Republicans in the Senate refuse to exercise that responsibility, I must act in the interest of the American people and exercise my authority to fill these positions on an interim basis," Obama said in a statement.

"Most of the men and women whose appointments I am announcing today were approved by Senate committees months ago, yet still await a vote of the Senate. At a time of economic emergency, two top appointees to the Department of Treasury have been held up for nearly six months. I simply cannot allow partisan politics to stand in the way of the basic functioning of government."

Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution gives the president the right to unilaterally fill any vacancy that would normally require Senate confirmation when the Senate is in recess.

Unlike appointments that are confirmed by the Senate, recess appointments only last until the end of the next session of Congress, which right now would mean until the end of 2011
More at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/2 ... 15869.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... -positions

Looks like he has decided its time to get things moving again. I don't know much about any of these nominees.
Last edited by SETIsLady on 03-27-2010 05:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

DarkhawkX
Pirate

Post by DarkhawkX » 03-28-2010 06:44 AM

Becker is the Big name.....He is the Activist lawyer for the Unions ...Totally Bad pick for American Businesses who had been Opposed (Bipartisanly, Dems could not even get him thru when they had a 60 super majority) Basically BO`s wink and nod payback to the AFLCIO

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”