ACORN Cleared of Wrongdoing

Moderator: Super Moderators

rumike
Pirate

ACORN Cleared of Wrongdoing

Post by rumike » 12-23-2009 12:58 AM

A Congressional Research Service report commissioned by the House Judiciary Committee says ACORN hasn’t violated any federal regulations the last five years.

The report, released by Judiciary Chairman John Conyers’ (D-Mich.) staff Tuesday evening, also reports that the undercover filmmakers that allegedly caught employees of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now breaking the law may have violated state law in their filming operation.

Separately Tuesday, a New York federal judge rejected a motion from the Justice Department to reconsider a decision that ruled a bill that stopped funding for ACORN as an unconstitutional bill of attainder.

The CRS report is part of a slew of government inquests into the group, which was swept up in a number of embarrassing situations in the last several months. The Government Accountability Office recently opened its own report and Republican Reps. Darrell Issa of California and Steve King of Iowa have led the charge in demanding more investigations and hearings into the group.

ACORN has been under a cloud for several months. ACORN employees have been accused of voter registration fraud, and the organization has faced serious financial problems.

The CRS report, however, will give the organization’s backers some comfort and conservatives some ammo. It details that the, the beleaguered community group has received tens of millions of taxpayer dollars in the past several fiscal years – including one $16 million grant and another grant worth $7.8 million. An ACORN aide noted that much of the money was to ACORN Housing, which is legally a separate entity.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30919.html
Anchors Aweigh!

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-25-2009 11:51 PM

amazing none of the blathers here have admitted they got took by the falsified video.. oh yeah, did they buy this report too???

Ghods forbid I expect integrity from them
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-26-2009 12:04 AM

Yeah, the silence was deafening regarding this. Not only here, but I noticed that almost nobody carried this as a news story. But when Beck's thugs dress up like pimps and prostitutes and make up lies, you would think it was the most important story that ever happened.
Anchors Aweigh!

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-26-2009 05:20 PM

rumike wrote: But when Beck's thugs dress up like pimps and prostitutes and make up lies....

You mean the do other things? No it would take a backbone, the ability to admit they were taken, to show some CHARACTER to admit that they were taken... but what do we get? The smell of exhaust fumes and piles of horsey and parrot poo to blame ACORN, and not a peep when they were PROVEN WRONG.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-26-2009 07:44 PM

Rombaldi wrote: You mean the do other things? No it would take a backbone, the ability to admit they were taken, to show some CHARACTER to admit that they were taken... but what do we get? The smell of exhaust fumes and piles of horsey and parrot poo to blame ACORN, and not a peep when they were PROVEN WRONG.

:rolleyes:

Rombaldi, one must post something one way or another about a topic before in your words "they were PROVEN WRONG". In my case, if you do a search of the term "ACORN", you will find exactly four post where ACORN is mentioned at all. Two of these are references without editorial comment in polls in the "Horserace thread" back prior to last years election. One is in an article from "Esquire" in July that does not accuse them of anything illegal and mentions them in reference, the other was in a reply to another poster in December 2008 that mentions "ACORN" and I quoted the poster's comments without using the term myself and commented that nothing that the group was accused of would change the Minnesota US Senate election results in any event. I also remember recently replying with a correction to your post which was critical of another poster commenting on ACORN who you mistakenly claimed owned the Chicago Tribune.

None of these posts of mine were critical of ACORN in any way nor were they supportive. I certainly have not been proven wrong on anything about them. I have avoided this silly topic as much as possible. Perhaps you should do the same before casting unmerited accusations at others. It detracts from whatever shred of credibility you may still possess. ;) :D
-
racehorse

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-26-2009 08:43 PM

racehorse wrote: None of these posts of mine were critical of ACORN in any way..

Except of course when you extolled "Good job, HB3" when the troll attempted to discredit the other report that said ACORN did nothing wrong...

your 'selective memory' .... "detracts from whatever shred of credibility you may still possess."

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-26-2009 08:50 PM

It was a "good job" as HB3 correctly showed that the source exonerating ACORN from your post in that thread was compromised by being funded by ACORN itself. You can not deny that because it is true.
racehorse

HB3

Post by HB3 » 12-26-2009 08:59 PM

Rombaldi wrote: Except of course when you extolled "Good job, HB3" when the troll attempted to discredit the other report that said ACORN did nothing wrong...

your 'selective memory' .... "detracts from whatever shred of credibility you may still possess."

I'm not a troll, but you've become a real dumbass.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 12-26-2009 09:19 PM

HB3 wrote: I'm not a troll, but you've become a real dumbass.

Your post implies that at one point, he wasn't a real dumbass.

Just a small correction.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-26-2009 09:39 PM

And with that, all the bridges are empty now...

SETIsLady
Pirate

Re: ACORN Cleared of Wrongdoing

Post by SETIsLady » 12-26-2009 10:05 PM

rumike wrote: A Congressional Research Service report commissioned by the House Judiciary Committee says ACORN hasn’t violated any federal regulations the last five years.

Thanks for posting this Mike, I have been out of the loop lately.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-26-2009 10:09 PM

Interesting how when we get to the facts it suddenly shifts to distractions like name-calling.

Fact: Glenn Beck LIED.

Fact: ACORN is CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES.
Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 12-27-2009 05:51 PM

ACORN Housing is a totally separate part - however the group of Acorn from the tapes were NOT Housing group - nor were the one from the ACORN vote situation.

ACORN like other organizations has several separate groups under the "main listing of ACORN" - subsidiaries.

Those caught on tape have subsequently been dismissed as were many of the ones caught up in the acorn voting scandals.

I do support the HOUSING to help those in need of houses to live in - but I will not and do not support those like the ones in the voting scandals or the tapes. ACORN should immediately disassociate with those subsidiaries and stick STRICTLY to Housing and helping people obtain houses to reside in...

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”