Hey All Old FFers!

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-12-2012 11:20 AM

Last edited by SquidInk on 03-12-2012 11:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-12-2012 03:00 PM

Awesome pic and nice find Squid!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-12-2012 03:28 PM

IronsGold wrote: Well, than I moved from the East Coast to be with him (six years ago!) and now, on March 2nd, we got married! I owe it all to the FF!
Well good for you!!!!!!!

I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO HAVE A WONDERFUL/LOVING TIME TOGETHER Image

voguy
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Hey All Old FFers!

Post by voguy » 03-12-2012 04:28 PM

Diogenes wrote: OK so there is an actualy VO recipe book????

Shouldn't we have a Food secon on the FF - seriously?

Yeah, sort of a side hobby I've had since the late 60s. When I find something I *REALLY* like, or I'm in a restaurant where people are all going after the same thing, I copy the recipe and save it. There are so many good places all over, and the old notebook sort of filled up over the years from places in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Toledo, Bowling Green, Louisville, Memphis, Vegas, Dallas, and many more including Holland and Archbold, OH.

I figure if I ever find that perfect place for an inn, I'll have a stellar 5-star menu.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey All Old FFers!

Post by Diogenes » 03-12-2012 08:30 PM

voguy wrote: Yeah, sort of a side hobby I've had since the late 60s. When I find something I *REALLY* like, or I'm in a restaurant where people are all going after the same thing, I copy the recipe and save it. There are so many good places all over, and the old notebook sort of filled up over the years from places in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Toledo, Bowling Green, Louisville, Memphis, Vegas, Dallas, and many more including Holland and Archbold, OH.

I figure if I ever find that perfect place for an inn, I'll have a stellar 5-star menu.

What a good idea and then you are ready to go when you find the right historical home to turn in to an inn. Almost did the same thing in Palm Springs until I realized I would have to be cordial just about 24/7 - now that's a tall order.:)
A man's character is his fate

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-13-2012 10:30 AM

Voguy's recipe book makes me wonder about the intellectual property rights of the previous owners of his accumulated recipes, especially the recipes he wrote down from restaurants. I wonder if they have any rights, what those rights might be and if they have to be maintained like copyrights and trademarks.

I'm pretty sure as long as these are prepared for just family/friends for no fee, there's no problem. But when using them in a business for profit, somehow voguy would have to make those his own or pay for a license, or what? Perhaps changing it a bit, renaming it would do...but unsure myself.

No one feel the need to reply..just posting what ran thru my head reading about the notebook..it's no wonder I get nothing done..

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-13-2012 10:35 AM

Dale O Sea wrote: Voguy's recipe book makes me wonder about the intellectual property rights of the previous owners of his accumulated recipes, especially the recipes he wrote down from restaurants. I wonder if they have any rights, what those rights might be and if they have to be maintained like copyrights and trademarks.

I'm pretty sure as long as these are prepared for just family/friends for no fee, there's no problem. But when using them in a business for profit, somehow voguy would have to make those his own or pay for a license, or what? Perhaps changing it a bit, renaming it would do...but unsure myself.

No one feel the need to reply..just posting what ran thru my head reading about the notebook..it's no wonder I get nothing done..

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

voguy
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey All Old FFers!

Post by voguy » 03-13-2012 04:44 PM

Diogenes wrote: What a good idea and then you are ready to go when you find the right historical home to turn in to an inn. Almost did the same thing in Palm Springs until I realized I would have to be cordial just about 24/7 - now that's a tall order.:)

It can be, but if you get a good staff, and managers, you can make it work.

Dale wrote: Voguy's recipe book makes me wonder about the intellectual property rights of the previous owners of his accumulated recipes, especially the recipes he wrote down from restaurants. I wonder if they have any rights, what those rights might be and if they have to be maintained like copyrights and trademarks.

I would not call an entree by the same name or attempt to serve it in the same way as they did. The recipe and choices of ingredients are all I need, and then partnering them up with other entrees. I've worked this out, and it's legit. I just won't put the Golden Arches on a burger.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 03-13-2012 07:01 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: Voguy's recipe book makes me wonder about the intellectual property rights of the previous owners of his accumulated recipes, especially the recipes he wrote down from restaurants. I wonder if they have any rights, what those rights might be and if they have to be maintained like copyrights and trademarks.

Dale,

Don't feel bad as I think about stuff all the time which has no bearing what so ever.
:D

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 03-13-2012 09:11 PM

Our congratulations to you. Not around much anymore but I check in on occasion. I hope you both are as happy as I have been for the past couple of years, sometimes it just takes time to find the perfect person.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 03-14-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been down with the flu for the past few days :( !

And yup, Live 365 had something to do with it. I got planked for two weeks when I told her to "Go to hell" (We've made up) and that's when Biker first e-mailed me. The rest is history...

For all that don't know, VO Guy is a GREAT cook! We use a ton of his recipes, and they are all perfection!

Great to see WhiskeyFan and SquidInk! Great pic, and yes, BELTCHOs for everyone!

And Jim Beam! ;)
Last edited by IronsGold on 03-14-2012 05:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-14-2012 07:24 PM

Ironsgold, try this one on Biker. These are "Hell Ribs".

Get 4# of the best pork ribs you can find. Then set out the following items for the sauce. There is one ingredient that I think Biker will like.

(Hopefully I've done the math right for two to four people. Recipe I have is for 150).

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Hell Sauce
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rum (I use Bacardi dark)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 dash ground black pepper

Note, you want the Smitty's "Hell BBQ Sauce". Don't e-mail them. They struggle with e-mail and usually don't reply. Their web site could also use some TLC. Call them at (734) 474-3127 and ask for Mike (last name Hickey). Bottles of the stuff are about $4, and it's worth it to get a small pak or box and have them shipped. You'll use it for other things. You might also tell them you heard about the stuff, and where you live. That always gives them a kick.

Now the directions

1 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 - Cut ribs into serving size portions and then wrap in 2 wraps of foil, and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

3 - Unwrap, and drain drippings. (Note: Your dog will love you for pouring the drippings on his kibble)

4 - Place all the ribs in a large roasting pan.

5 - In a large glass bowl, mix together brown sugar, Hell Sauce, soy sauce, rum, garlic, mustard, and ground pepper.

6 - Coat ribs with sauce and marinate at room temperature for 6 hour, or refrigerate overnight.

7 - Preheat your outdoor grill for medium heat. Best to use charcoal and place the rack above the coals 4-5".

8 - Brush grill grate with olive oil. Place ribs on grill, and cook for 30-45 minutes, or till done the way you like them.

9 - Bast with mixture about every 5-10. Last bast should be 2 min before serving.

It's a lot of work, but well worth it. I usually make these with a skillet potato combo of diced potato, green pepper, Vidalia onion, and a pinch of pepperica in a skillet like you would make hash browns.

The original recipe used a national BBQ sauce by "Jack Daniels" plus chili powder. I like the Hell Sauce as it gives the ribs a sweet yet a small amount of heat.

You can also use the Hell Sauce in things such as bbq beef sandwiches, and a small amount of it with some Jim Beam whiskey is great as a 24 hour marinade for boneless chicken breast over the grill.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 03-14-2012 10:09 PM

IronsGold wrote: Thanks everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been down with the flu for the past few days :( !

And yup, Live 365 had something to do with it. I got planked for two weeks when I told her to "Go to hell" (We've made up) and that's when Biker first e-mailed me. The rest is history...

For all that don't know, VO Guy is a GREAT cook! We use a ton of his recipes, and they are all perfection!

Great to see WhiskeyFan and SquidInk! Great pic, and yes, BELTCHOs for everyone!

And Jim Beam! ;)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 03-14-2012 10:12 PM

voguy wrote: Ironsgold, try this one on Biker. These are "Hell Ribs".

Get 4# of the best pork ribs you can find. Then set out the following items for the sauce. There is one ingredient that I think Biker will like.

(Hopefully I've done the math right for two to four people. Recipe I have is for 150).

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Hell Sauce
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rum (I use Bacardi dark)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 dash ground black pepper

Note, you want the Smitty's "Hell BBQ Sauce". Don't e-mail them. They struggle with e-mail and usually don't reply. Their web site could also use some TLC. Call them at (734) 474-3127 and ask for Mike (last name Hickey). Bottles of the stuff are about , and it's worth it to get a small pak or box and have them shipped. You'll use it for other things. You might also tell them you heard about the stuff, and where you live. That always gives them a kick.

Now the directions

1 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 - Cut ribs into serving size portions and then wrap in 2 wraps of foil, and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

3 - Unwrap, and drain drippings. (Note: Your dog will love you for pouring the drippings on his kibble)

4 - Place all the ribs in a large roasting pan.

5 - In a large glass bowl, mix together brown sugar, Hell Sauce, soy sauce, rum, garlic, mustard, and ground pepper.

6 - Coat ribs with sauce and marinate at room temperature for 6 hour, or refrigerate overnight.

7 - Preheat your outdoor grill for medium heat. Best to use charcoal and place the rack above the coals 4-5".

8 - Brush grill grate with olive oil. Place ribs on grill, and cook for 30-45 minutes, or till done the way you like them.

9 - Bast with mixture about every 5-10. Last bast should be 2 min before serving.

It's a lot of work, but well worth it. I usually make these with a skillet potato combo of diced potato, green pepper, Vidalia onion, and a pinch of pepperica in a skillet like you would make hash browns.

The original recipe used a national BBQ sauce by "Jack Daniels" plus chili powder. I like the Hell Sauce as it gives the ribs a sweet yet a small amount of heat.

You can also use the Hell Sauce in things such as bbq beef sandwiches, and a small amount of it with some Jim Beam whiskey is great as a 24 hour marinade for boneless chicken breast over the grill.

Boy 150 people - we should all live in your neighborhood.:coolhat:

I am ordering Smitty's hot sauce

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-15-2012 08:34 AM

IronsGold wrote: I got planked for two weeks when I told her to "Go to hell"

Ah, yes... those were the days! Seriously. Nobody brings anybody their broadsword anymore!

:D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”