Been a rollercoaster so far......

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 01-08-2012 12:39 PM

Bobbi Snow wrote: I couldn't connect with ONE person who is willing to say they'd been treated with R.A. and been "healed" or cured.
I saw a reply about someone with RA using it yesterday and they were hopefull it would work,if i can find the thread (It escapes me @ the moment) i will let you see it :)

EDIT:

This guy has been using it and it helped him with RA

http://tvance.hubpages.com/hub/Rheumato ... ritis-Pain
Last edited by Dude111 on 01-08-2012 05:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-08-2012 02:06 PM

Speaking of RA and other stuff, has anyone noted that Fibromyalgia cases seem to be on the rise, especially in the 40 to 60 age group.

I've noticed more than a few people comment on their illness.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-08-2012 02:27 PM

voguy wrote: Y'know, I think you hit a good point. Myself, Diogenes, you, we're all in what we call our "middle age", and thankfully most of the parts are not being replaced. It's not the physical, it's the mental part of life which is wearing us down.

Recently I talked to a friend whom I've known for a long time, and he announced his retirement, at age 58. He's in good health, looks good, last physical has him in tip-top shape. The reason he's retiring is that he's mentally worn down. He cites most of it due to what he terms "the lack of purpose".

Over a beer he explained it as sort of the way people in communist countries felt. In his younger years worked for RFE/VOA, and was in Germany when the wall fell. He got to talk to people in the east right after reunification, and found that many people suffered from depression or lack of motivations. This was because the communist society had no hopes or dreams. You were just a cog in the wheel of the machine. He mentioned, (in our business), there has often been innovation and inventions where people can be proud of their accomplishments, and the whole office would seek to do more. Today, it's much different. Instead of seeking excellence, it's more important to seek quantity, and not quality. The management cry is work harder, not smarter of more efficient.

Since I'm a gearhead, I use a good analogy for this. If you have a truck, and just for the sake of argument it has the old straight inline 6, it's probably a good truck. As you start loading it down, the engine just can't cut it. Most people would then know to perhaps go to bigger 8 cylinder. However, management says, "we can only afford 6, make it work harder." To me, most of business today is not about being efficient, it's about pushing more, forcing that 6-cylinder engine to tow 3/4 to a ton of weight, although it's only rated for 1/2 ton. It works for a while, but eventually it gets sluggish and fails.

I think many of us look at the world, and the crazy issues we face. We see our bosses pushing that engine, rather than trying to achieve maximum efficiency. We see our leaders doing things which are not in our interest, or fly in our face as an insult. Case in point is the .5% raises government workers will get next year. Due to the way our country is run many of us have not seen raises in over 4 years, and let's face fact, government services have not gotten better or justified a raise. Therefore, those of us running on 6 cylinders feel cheated.

Many of us are tired, and I know as soon as I hit 59 I'll be thinking about early retirement. I hoped to work till 65 in my profession, but I don't see the rewards, and I don't want to be one of those who just goes and punches a clock for the sake of a check.

I can't speak for anyone on this board, but I would wager that a lot of people feel depressed or simply being worn down from being under attack by business, government, and those who choose to run us on 6 instead of 8 cylinders. Just my humble opinion.

Hang in there, my friend. Find things that bring you comfort and find comfort in knowing that you're not walking this road alone.

All true - absolutely.

Also as I age I have noticed I have much less tolerance for all described in your post.

I do know I cope far better when I exercise daily - no doubt about that.
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-08-2012 06:24 PM

Diogenes wrote: Also as I age I have noticed I have much less tolerance for all described in your post.
I would agree. Ya tell people, "it's going to rain, you better roll up your car windows." After they ignore you a few times, you sort of figure they deserve to get a wet ass."

On the business side I don't mind working late/long hours if it's for me, mostly because I can see the result. But sometimes I feel that efforts expended are not necessarily appreciated or thought as needed.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 01-08-2012 06:43 PM

Most of the people I work with are half my age and I can attest to the lack of work ethic.

I grew up working for what I wanted and for the most part having pride in what I was doing. Give me any job and I'll do it to the best of my ability.

I find its lacking in the younger generation and sometimes I just want to give them a good slap to wake them up......
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-08-2012 07:40 PM

H.R. says we can't hit employees. Believe me, more than once I've wanted to give someone a dope slap.

For those of you younger than 45-50....

Dope Slap - Usually found in Italian families, it's a light "whappp" to the back of the head, done with an open palm in an upward motion. The physical equivalent of the phrase, "Whatta you, a moron?!"

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-08-2012 08:25 PM

voguy wrote: H.R. says we can't hit employees. Believe me, more than once I've wanted to give someone a dope slap.

For those of you younger than 45-50....

How about "shut up - please just shut up"

Oh those meetings when they wax on and on and on and on and on and on some more.:(

I have been told my entire life my face is like an open book - no poker player here so it is written all over my face - not good but it is what it is.:D

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 01-09-2012 03:39 PM

The Christian Science Monitor

GOING EXTREME
Photo Gallery

http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Gall ... g-Extreme/(photo)/423864

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-09-2012 05:32 PM

In one of my more memorable moments, in a budget meeting where the guy presenting never bothered to check the math I said, "I had some doubts, but some people have said you're sort of an idiot. I would like to tank you for confirming that for me. Now I can leave this meeting in peace, not having to have to ask silly questions."

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 01-09-2012 05:37 PM

cherry wrote: The Christian Science Monitor

GOING EXTREME
Photo Gallery

http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Gall ... to)/423864

I think that will pretty well describe the next few weeks at work..........
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 01-09-2012 06:13 PM

That guy looks very relaxed..(same below)

You've mastered the zamboni..this other thing has to be a piece of cake after that. :jumparoun

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 01-09-2012 07:31 PM

I did the supervisor thing for 10 yrs in a large precision metal shop. I am fair yet an a'hole when required. The day I resigned all 14 employees in my dept, one after the other, went into the office to voice their disappointment of my decision.

The stickler this time is we will be replacing a guy who has been doing this for 8 yrs with probably a noob whilst we have lawyers snooping around looking for anything they can use as they are getting desperate.

The timing sucks........
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-09-2012 09:50 PM

Always does, Megman. Try firing an on-air minority in media who thinks the whole town lives to see him. The drama is incredible.

That's why they hold seminars on hiring and firing.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-10-2012 11:35 AM

voguy wrote: Always does, Megman. Try firing an on-air minority in media who thinks the whole town lives to see him. The drama is incredible.

That's why they hold seminars on hiring and firing.

In the workplace minorities trump

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 01-11-2012 11:34 AM

Freedom's just another word
For nothing else to lose .....

Kris Kristopherson

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”