Moderator: Super Moderators

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 06-07-2011 04:13 PM

I know, he is my "Friend". :)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-07-2011 05:31 PM

Forums are like bars. You wander in and out, the booze tends to be the same, but the clientele changes from civil to abusive.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

cns
Pirate

Post by cns » 06-10-2011 01:49 PM

voguy wrote: Forums are like bars. You wander in and out, the booze tends to be the same, but the clientele changes from civil to abusive.
Hear! Hear!

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 06-10-2011 07:41 PM

The overall feel of this place is a breath of fresh air. I can only compare it to the Fantastic Forum circa 2002-03.:)
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-10-2011 08:30 PM

Using my bar analogy, it's funny how you can walk in peacefully for a drink and light conversation and have a good time. Months go by, and you settle in to this nice place to stop and visit and meet friends. Discussions are civil, and although people don't completely agree, they can share their views.

One day, a drunk wanders in and proceeds to curse out people for no reason, or belittles you each time you say something. You try to reason with them, but the bully carries on in full contempt of all whose space he's invaded.

You hope is that the bartender will show them the door, and lock it each time they attempt to come back. In most cases this happens.

In some cases the bartender doesn't want to do anything... after all, they might loose a patron, a guest! Sometimes the bartender is content to watch the drunk yell and scream at other patrons. They tell you, "it livens up the place". Or they will not intervene for fear of hurting the drunks feelings. Whatever the flawed reason, the drunk's persona rubs off on the establishment.

In the end, you find that good patrons leave, and nutcases or other malcontented drunks fill the void and take their message to the next level.

I've been run out of two places like this. I recall in one case one of the malcontents telling me that they hoped my brother would die. Imagine that, wishing someone would die, or worse yet, telling someone that they wished their family member would parish. And through this, the bartender stood silent.

I dropped my napkin in the glass and left without hesitation. Hearing the door close behind me with the giggles and laughs only solidified my decision to leave was correct.

I've seen friends also pushed out or told they are not as important as the drunk because they didn't buy as may drinks as the drunk. (read: don't post as much). Or, under the guise of "we treat everyone fairly", one or two people are singled out because they don't agree with the bartenders point of view. The bartender is then eager to unleash the drunks on them, so they can be punished, and the bartender can claim immunity.

Yep, forums are a lot like bars. You can tell a lot about people by what they drink and how they act. Or, how they don't speak up when something needs to be said, or choosing to sit back and watch the abuse. There is no fooling anyone as actions speak louder than words. In the end, most patrons know each other and a person's character becomes known.

This long diatribe serves only to say that the air is a lot fresher here, but I will always have my hat within arms reach should another drunk with pants laden in crap walk in the door wishing to broadcast their opinions to the world with the desire to abuse me and others.

I would have never thought I would have left the last place I was at, but it's funny how just a few weeks of dealing with a drunk on rampage can change ones view.

Bartender, pour a round for the house. This one is on me. ;)
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-10-2011 08:37 PM

voguy wrote: Using my bar analogy, it's funny how you can walk in peacefully for a drink and light conversation and have a good time. Months go by, and you settle in to this nice place to stop and visit and meet friends. Discussions are civil, and although people don't completely agree, they can share their views.

One day, a drunk wanders in and proceeds to curse out people for no reason, or belittles you each time you say something. You try to reason with them, but the bully carries on in full contempt of all whose space he's invaded.

You hope is that the bartender will show them the door, and lock it each time they attempt to come back. In most cases this happens.

In some cases the bartender doesn't want to do anything... after all, they might loose a patron, a guest! Sometimes the bartender is content to watch the drunk yell and scream at other patrons. They tell you, "it livens up the place". Or they will not intervene for fear of hurting the drunks feelings. Whatever the flawed reason, the drunk's persona rubs off on the establishment.

Hmm...this sounds awfully familiar :D

Seriously, we've been thinking about posting some sort of new statement of principles or revised posting guidelines or something, but you've said it so perfectly here. This is really in line with what I think everyone wants.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-10-2011 08:52 PM

Y'know, HB3, I could trim down the word count a lot by just saying, "everyone should just treat others as they would like others to treat them." Seems simple.

Obviously, nations, politicians, religions, and a lot of others have a problem with the concept. ;)

G'night all. I have a feeling tonight will be rather active, so I'm getting some rest in case I get called out. Stay safe, everyone!!

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-10-2011 09:47 PM

This is why, long before I met Rod, I gave up the "bar scene." I was either "too skinny to be much fun in bed..." or I "obviously thought I was TOO GOOD" for the drunks who didn't have the sense they were born with. I ended up having little get-togethers at my apartment with a few trusted friends on Friday and Saturday nights, or Sunday afternoons. Rod, as it turned out, was one of my neighbors who was witness to the low-keyed, comical person I truly was.

The bar scene really does change. And often the change is reprehensible.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 06-10-2011 10:30 PM

This could all be very simple if we all agreed to only post while intoxicated.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-10-2011 11:58 PM

Gawd... I'd never be able to post again!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-11-2011 07:46 AM

Well, in reality the keyboard and monitor are a great buffer. People will say and do anything when the anonymity of the Internet allows them to be a$$holes, or boorish at best.

I've see civil, nice ladies become rabid cats when they think they are protected by their computer.

I guess it's just in human nature that if you think you can get away with something, and cause someone angst without being held liable, then you take the shot. In world of the internet what's the worse that happens, you get banned? Bah, so what. In the real world I've known people to be shot for besmirching a woman's character.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-11-2011 11:08 AM

The 'net is getting less anonymous. Logins are being consolidated and combined into one by facebook and google and new facial recognition apps help tie up more loose ends. One may be anonymous to his peers online but the ones that need to know, do. No hiding from Homeland Security online. This is the trend and I don't see it slowing.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 06-11-2011 11:16 AM

It's true, and you can actually see Facebook as being part of this control system. What started as more private posting has become, through a kind of classic bait-and-switch, increasingly public and consolidated.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-11-2011 11:32 AM

give up your freedom for convenience.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-11-2011 12:53 PM

And fun..don't leave that out.

Between the tracks one leaves online, your phone, your car's built-in computer..that leaves, what, that isn't broached by a gawking govt policing program?

I think I can still crap undetected..
..but they are monitoring my water usage, so..?Image
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”