Gratitude ~ What are You Thankful for?

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Gratitude ~ What are You Thankful for?

Post by Joolz » 11-22-2010 11:13 PM

We have a Thanksgiving tradition in my home that I'd like to share -- in the spirit of the season. When we are all gathered at the Thanksgiving dinner table, we link hands around the table and close our eyes for a moment of silence. Then each person in turn says what they things they feel thankful for... something good that happened in the past year, or names of people we love, or even something as simple as being alive. That's really what this holiday is all about; right? Giving thanks? So... what are YOU thankful for this year?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I am thankful for my family and friends, for my home and the comfort it gives me, for my gardens and the joy and sustenance they provide me, for the wonderful conversations that are a daily part of our lives, and for the laughter we share.

I am grateful for breath, for warmth, for cleansing waters, and for the earth beneath my feet.

I am thankful that I still hold hope within my heart and can nurture its flame with each new day.

I am grateful for love.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 11-23-2010 12:14 AM

Joolz! Right this moment, I'm most thankful for you!

Leave it to you to cut through the bullsh!t and find what's really important.

I'm most thankful for Biker. I never thought, that so late in my life, (53!), I'd find such a good man to love, and one that loved me back so perfectly... I don't want this to come off as corny, far from it. But with age comes wisdom, and I know what is rare and elusive for most.

I'm blessed, and best of all, I KNOW it!

All the best to you and Corvid. I know you two understand EXACTLY what I mean!

Edit to add....

I'm NOT thankful for the snow, yes snow! Four on the ground, and maybe seven to come! I need veggies, and apples for the pie. I HATE driving in the snow!! :mad:
Last edited by IronsGold on 11-23-2010 12:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-23-2010 03:31 AM

Thanks for such a great post here, IG. :)

And yes, we DO know EXACTLY what you mean. We are blessed.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-23-2010 10:21 AM

My list is short but important to me.

I am grateful for my family, all of them. I am grateful for all of my friends. I am grateful for my business even though its been a struggle this last year, we could had it much worse.

I am grateful for the ocean and the sun from where I find alot of strength and peace. :)

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-23-2010 01:24 PM

Beautiful thread!

I am grateful for the Fantastic Forum. :)
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-23-2010 03:09 PM

I am grateful for my wife and family. Having a job. Grateful for being in a society where it is not only acceptable, but legal to speak openly, where the reverse is the rule in many other countries.

And, I am grateful for having such wonderful friends here at Fantastic Forum. I hope that you all have a Happy (safe, joyful, content) Thanksgiving.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 11-24-2010 02:34 AM

I'm grateful for the decent health I have, for having been able to afford the outrageous premiums Blue Cross has charged over the past 5 years, and that (although Holidays are much lonelier now) we have no family who expects us to fly "home" for the holidays. We spend these last few special days of our years with good friends.

A wise person once said, "You can't choose your blood relatives, but your TRUE family are the friends you make for life." We have several good friends with whom we spend the special days of the year we both have left.

And, I'm grateful & thankful for all of you in the Fantastic Forum.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-25-2010 02:49 PM

Very grateful for all of you! and for family and friends, and what comforts of home, community and freedom which remain. Grateful for the ability to communicate and share information, ideas and opinion far and wide - and also for the music and art which enrich our lives beyond measure.

This Thanksgiving day - again brings a homeless (and freezing) guy to share the warmth and bounty. He wandered in during the fierce storm that hit here Monday - with below freezing temps which are only moderating just now. Will also be grateful he will be able to soon move on.... lol!

Grateful for Hope - which I still have - although burning with a lower flame these days.

Enjoy the holiday - however you can - and take care.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-25-2010 02:58 PM

Wanted to add, I am grateful for Psychicwolf and Hurricane Joanie. Where are these guys? Haven't seen them around lately.

Would be very nice to hear from them, and from others who have not posted in a while.

:)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-25-2010 04:15 PM

Blessings to all Pirates on this day of Giving Thanks!

I am also thankful for each and every one of you, for our rag-tag band of rogues and Pirates sailing the cyber seas! ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-25-2010 07:00 PM

Heya - there's this!
:)

Thursday 25 November 2010 13.23 GMT

Teenagers found after 50 days at sea - Guardian UK:
Three teenagers have been rescued after 50 days adrift in a small boat in the Pacific Ocean, surviving on coconuts, a seagull and seawater.

Samuel Perez and Filo Filo, both 15, and Edward Nasau, 14, disappeared from Atafu atoll, north of Samoa and part of the New Zealand territory of Tokelau, on small aluminium boat after an annual sporting event on 5 October.. An extensive search by New Zealand air force Orion found no trace of them. Some 500 people on Atafu had held memorial services for the boys.

They were rescued by chance when a New Zealand fishing boat ventured into an area where it would not normally go. The boys had drifted 1,300 km (808 miles) and were west of Uvea in the French territory of Wallis and Futuna and north-east of Fiji when a tuna boat heading for Auckland found them.

"Yesterday we saw a small vessel, a little speed boat on our bows, and we knew it was a little weird," the first mate, Tai Fredricsen, told stuff.co.nz. "We had enough smarts to know there were people in it and those people were not supposed to be there."

About a mile out the boys started waving to them. "I pulled the vessel up as close as I could to them and asked them if they needed any help… they said very much so, they were ecstatic to see us … They were very skinny, but physically in good health, compared to what they have been through."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... 0-days-sea

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-26-2010 12:56 AM

I'm grateful we get Thanksgiving out of the way the second Monday of October......;)
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-26-2010 01:10 AM

More time for Christmas madness? As far as your neighbors to the south - if we had Thanksgiving too close to Halloween we might be in real trouble.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-26-2010 01:17 AM

Ya but pumpkins and Thanksgiving go hand in hand.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-26-2010 01:30 AM

Well, that would be a difficult decision. You want a jack-o-lantern or pumpkin pie?

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”