Comments on Fantastic Forum

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Comments on Fantastic Forum

Post by Linnea » 11-19-2010 03:07 PM

The Fantastic Forum is kinda limping along here lately. I am not enjoying the experience of logging in here as much as I used to.

There are many reasons, and we have gone over them many times. Many things we cannot change, and time and events propel us along. There is a lot of social media and many forums out there these days. People tend to go where they have a good/interesting experience.

One thing that has become an obvious damper on comfort and enthusiasm levels here - is the intensity of ideological flaming type posting which is increasing on the forum.

Rules and Policies of posting on the forum expressly exclude 'ideological flaming'. There has been a laxity in enforcing this policy. My apologies to you. It is difficult to sort these things out - and to recognize the difference between enforcing these policies and the effects of dampening 'free speech'. <sigh>

I appreciate the diverse group here - and it is mostly my fault to have let things drift out of control along this front. We do not have to compromise who we are - we will just need to agree to moderate our posting to bring the ideological flaming under control.

Easy, right?

The Holidays are approaching for many of us. It would be nice to hear from all of us - here and there on the forum - as we close out another year.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 11-19-2010 03:58 PM

Not sure I understand what "ideological flaming" is. Can you give an example? Do you mean the insulting of public figures in general or the poster being insulted? :confused:

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 11-19-2010 04:07 PM

I just looked at another thread that I hadn't seen before so I think I understand the need for this. So, please ignore my question.:)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-19-2010 07:32 PM

Hey Linnea, I want to thank you for giving us a place to gather. I have much more to say but need to put it in words, but I did want you to know that I had read the thread and wasn't ignoring it :)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-20-2010 07:29 AM

I'm just posting to also let you know, like Linda, that I have read this, Linnea -- as well as the thread I think, like RA, this thread is in response to. I'm too tired right now to make any lucid comments, but then, I think you already know my mind on this issue anyhow. I appreciate your comment (I think it was on the other thread) about community. That's what this ship has always been about, for me, and I hope will continue to be. That is what is important. IMHO. Like Linda, I also thank you for this place. In that light, my only advice would be to just stick to your convictions as you stated them.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2010 02:20 PM

Thanks for the comments here. And, yes - as noted - there is a thread which 'launched' this issue to the forefront:

showthread.php?threadid=43920

The moderating comment there was:
We have a Politics & Government discussion section which is intended for mainstream partisan politics and commentary - not ideological flame wars which are expressly excluded in the Policy and Mission Statement here at the Fantastic Forum:

http://www.fantasticforum.com/1aa_n...r/arrrrrgh.html

This thread/post is not any more inflammatory than many which have been appearing over several months. However - going forward these rules and policies on posting will be more strictly enforced.
What is effecting this forum - and the entire country, actually - is divisive and inflammatory 'politics' - being 'staged' as mainstream - by powerful interests through the extreme right.

The extreme right, by numbers - is a minority group - so what is behind this explosion of extreme right views bombarding the country? We need to discuss this - and to look behind the curtain. And - we need to enforce our own rules of posting and policy here.

What are Roger Ailes, Rupert Murdoch and the Koch brothers really up to?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2010 02:54 PM

Another thing...

While re-reading this thread just now - a strong sensation of Joe Quinn looking over my shoulder came to me. (And, oh I do miss him!)

In his trademark passionate and bombastic way - he was a truth seeker. I think many of us have grown discouraged by the onslaught of negativity in this country - and the feeling of losing ground - almost to the point of paralysis and silence. We need to speak out and be engaged.

There is no better way to vanquish the darkness than to shine the light upon it...

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-20-2010 03:25 PM

Linnea's mention of Joe Quinn -- far and away one of the most controversial Pirates in our history -- made me think again about my old argument of filters. About how we all see things through our filters. Rombaldi/Quinn threads may look a whole lot different than HB3/kbot threads, but are they really. Raggedyann Liberal comments rile me the way Cherry Kelly Conservative comments rile others, but are they really that different. I can listen to Rush Limbaugh for three hours and not reach for the dial once, but I can't sit through five minutes of Keith Olbermann. Yet, are they really so different. It's about personal filters. I just hope, as we explore this once again, we can remember that.

I thought the kbot thread was a completely appropriate discussion. See? Filters.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2010 03:59 PM

Filters - excellent point, Live365! Yes - we all have our preferences - and natural biases. However - the danger is we do not need filters for truth.

Increasingly - truth and facts are falling by the wayside. The thread referenced here is an example of this process.

It was based on 'made up stuff' that first appears [in] the blogsphere - and is then picked up and carried as 'truth' in the larger media outlets (read right-wing media outlets) who then begin to report this 'made up stuff' as 'news'. Then the question is inevitably asked 'hmmm. wonder why the (lame stream) media is not covering this...?'

We must be vigilant when it comes to facts and truth - as opposed to opinion.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-20-2010 04:43 PM

Linnea wrote: It was based on 'made up stuff' that first appears the blogsphere - and is then picked up and carried as 'truth' in the larger media outlets (read right-wing media outlets) who then begin to report this 'made up stuff' as 'news'. Then the question is inevitably asked 'hmmm. wonder why the (lame stream) media is not covering this...?'

You have re-alligned my thinking on this, Linnea!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2010 05:08 PM

Your apparent cynicism here saddens me, Laura. I think the game is to whip up cynicism and distrust in this country - far beyond our natural left-right/liberal-conservative views and opinions.

That is what concerns me. The truth is out there - and our survival depends on discovering truth.

There are many conservatives who have these concerns as well. Many who are uneasy with true conservative values and views being over-ridden and exploited, actually - by the manipulations of and the flogging of these extremist views.

The equivalent 'far left' extremists have been out of fashion and power since the 60s - and that is probably why this faction is not promoted more by those who seek to disrupt civility and out-shout the voices of reason.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-20-2010 07:07 PM

Linnea, you misread my statement. I truly meant: "you've re-alligned my thinking on this" with the quoted comment. About the blogosphere news becoming real news. But alas, this is not the first time this has happened.

Run the Forum as you see fit. I'll always have your back.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-20-2010 07:21 PM

Sorry to pounce right back at you here, but I was lurking around and saw your post here.

Actually - you stated you have been watching Rachael Maddow - and you may recognize her show for my main 'source material' on this issue. Yes - I watch Rachael nearly every day.

Rachael Maddow is a self-described 'liberal' - but I believe truth is more important to her than ideology. And, yes - this is an issue which puts some things which transpire on Fox and the usual right-wing talkers in an unfavorable light - however, there seems to be truth here.

I trust she is not overly biased here - and we shall see where this leads.

Sorry I was paranoid about your statement...my apologies for that.

eta: just for the record, I am not a 'liberal' - and once voted for Nixon. ;)

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-20-2010 07:51 PM

Pulling the thread off-track:

I watch Rachel Maddow because she is an incredibly hot woman. I'm not the only one. But she is respected by both sides, and is reasonably balanced. Reasonably. She is a young-ling coming into her own, as soon as Olbermann gets out of the way.

But I'm not sure, Linnea, what any of this has to do with our exchange. Lively debate has always been a staple of your Ship. "I agree" into infinity is what nearly killed it.

Your point about blogosphere hitting talk radio then becoming *news* really struck a chord with me. I just wanted you to know that.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-21-2010 12:00 AM

Lively debate is one thing, but flippant chatter posing as debate is not truly debate. 'Nuff said by me on that.
Last edited by Joolz on 11-21-2010 12:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”