The ORR

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

OMG
Pirate

The ORR

Post by OMG » 08-31-2010 11:14 AM

I noticed Sunday Shirely was somewhat upset that nobody came to the ORR. I totally understand why and I'm upset with myself in not coming on during that time.

I'd love to hear ideas of how it can get it kick started more consistant.

For me personally (and I may be wrong) is that if ORR is open througout the week (err yes even Noory, shivers) so there might be more of a regular ability to come in and comment on a C2C show live. I know Art shows get good participation (I know I am kicking myself for missing it, caught the replay of it yesterday) But maybe having something open for weekday and then weekend shows might get people accustomed to getting on during C2C time and being on the ORR and it might then start snowballing for higher overall participation on the board.

Of course I'm just spitballing ideas. What you guys think.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-31-2010 01:50 PM

I can't really comment on the ORR, because I never really joined in the conversation, but I didn't want you to think no one read this thread OMG. I listen to George Knapp and Art at odd times and never can make it to the ORR for discussion. Not sure how to fix the lack of participation, hope others will chime in though.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-31-2010 03:39 PM

OMG, like SL, I've never really participated in the ORR. For me, it's a timing thing. I'm just not a night person like that (C2C here is on from midnight to three in the morning) and I keep up with the show via Streamlink, or catch the first hour if I'm still working (which is rare). But I gotta say, it's a little heartbreaking to see the effort Shirleypal and the loyal Pirates put in to keep it going, and having a lot of nights that aren't so great. But as we've discussed in recent threads, this is kind of a "system-wide" issue on the Ship, and the lack of participation in the ORR may be a symptom, not a problem unto itself.

Yet, my thoughts are actually kind of the opposite of yours. If it's demonstrated that the ORR only heats up on the nights that Art is on, then maybe restrict it to those nights. It would be Shirley's call. Or maybe just opening up the thread at some point during the day, but not needing to "sit on it" to see if anyone joins in. Just let it be, and delete it the next day if no one posts. My main concern, however, would be to see the ORR go away completely. It is the oldest tradition of the Ship. Second oldest was the SETI-crunching team, and look what happened to that. So, if there are solutions here, I hope they present themselves. Because, yeah. If I were Shirleypal, I'd be about ready to throw it in too. But I would really hate to see that happen.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 09-10-2010 11:59 AM

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment
U.S. Constitution
It might be more productive to include rather than exclude Pirates from participation at the Fantastic Forum. ;)

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”