Kaztronic

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-21-2013 07:23 PM

It is always good to see Kaz! :)

Although I agree with Kaz in the post highlighted, the issue of inconsistent moderating has been addressed here numerous times over the years and to no avail. Either you played the game or you disappeared, one way or another. ;) This is no longer an issue as far as I can determine.

I guess I don't understand why this particular thread has been resurrected. :confused:

Not criticizing, just wondering.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 05-21-2013 08:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-21-2013 08:42 PM

Raggedyann wrote: It is always good to see Kaz! :)

Although I agree with Kaz in the post highlighted, the issue of inconsistent moderating has been addressed here numerous times over the years and to no avail. Either you played the game or you disappeared, one way or another. ;) This is no longer an issue as far as I can determine.

I guess I don't understand why this particular thread has been resurrected. :confused:

Not criticizing, just wondering.
I thought Kaz wrote a great post there, and I saw a google robot reading this thread, that is how I re-found it. It is a piece of our history. I encourage people to resurrect threads, I see no problem with that, we have an immense amount of threads, all with genius posts in them.

I also hoped that Kaz would pop in and say hi.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-22-2013 08:19 PM

I haven't read this thread in ages, and always find it interesting when some of the older posts pop up from time to time. This particular thread was a big headache back then for me. It was sort of a Kobayashi Maru scenario (btw, the new Star Trek movie is fantastic!), ignore it and remain frustrated - or answer it honestly and hang on as the dinner bell sounds right when you click the submit post button, lol.

Having read the whole thread again, I've been able to look at it through the lens of time, which has been an interesting exercise. Thoughts on that:

I have to say that over the past couple of years, Setislady and I have made peace and leave occasional friendly hello's/likes for each other on Facebook. Contrary to what I thought back then, she is a truly lovely person and one that was an incredible comfort for a mutual dear friend during their moment of need. In fact, Setislady was both caring, and supportive for me as well as I processed the loss of our friend Shirley. I've come to genuinely like Setislady, and even think I will try to reach out to her on my next trip to Florida to meet in person. If I have any regrets about the time period detailed in this thread, its that I was often childish and antagonistic in my approach to Setislady back then. Sure, it takes two to tango, and yes, there were factors and people involved who helped push buttons for both of us, but I bear a lot of personal responsibility for things going south between us, and for the distractions our rapport often caused on the forum (in this respect, I think Diogenes is right about "drama", and yeah, I often played a role in it. This particular thread however shows that I wasn't alone in the dramatics department at least, lol). Anyway, I've probably reflected on that bit the most in rereading this thread, and it stands as a more pronounced regret when I think about posting back in those days. I'm glad things have changed and are different between us now.

I also found myself reflecting on some of the other posters, and in one or two cases my opinion of them remains low. A few of them really come across as bitter, petty people, mean-spirited at heart. I dislike a few of them even more now than I did then.

That brings me to a more general thought that has been on my mind more recently, which has to do with "progressives" and their approach to people who dare to dissent from the collective views of their movement. Most political and social movements seem to me to suffer at times from a sort of self-righteous sense of moral superiority, but I have felt over the past 7 or 8 years or so that this has been particularly acute on the left side of the political spectrum. Dissent often seems totally intolerable to these people, and the reactions to disagreement often seem to be particularly angry, and certainly entirely dismissive. Regardless of any possible merit an argument may have, if it does not mesh with the collective view of "progressives", it must be shouted down, never replied to on the data level, and often seems to be accompanied with labeling those who would dare to debate with labels such as "extremist", "racist", "sexist", "homophobic", etc.... One need only look at the news this week to see this approach translated into unofficial (perhaps) policy. You know, for all of the talk about diversity from the left, it sure doesn't seem to include a diversity of opinion. When I look back at my own posts in this thread, I can see that this thought/frustration was already there in my mind (the discrediting of sources regardless of the content of said articles as one example I cited back then of this lack of tolerance of independent thought). All told, this is an idea which has since crystallized into an argument I can more pointedly make. Its kind of interesting for me to see the seeds of that idea after all this time. I should also mention that on this last thought, raggedyann and psychicwolf have always struck me as an exception to this general observation. I've always enjoyed our chats, and appreciated the open, honest discourse. Its good to see you as well RA. :)

On a more personal level, I've mostly been silent recently due to an experiment I've been thoroughly enjoying over the past six months. Back in November, I unplugged my internet cable and haven't looked back yet. I've read more books, listened to more records, watched more movies, and gone out more often during this period than I otherwise have in years. My internet exposure is limited to the Windows Phone I type this post out on now. As smartphones don't lend themselves to lengthy posts, I've been kinda quiet.

Alas, I'm almost done with this experiment, and I suspect you'll be seeing a bit more of (as Live365 put it, lol) my 15 paragraph posts fairly soon. :)

Thanks for the shout out Fan, and thanks for keeping the forum alive. Its a living, breathing, wonderful community and I'm grateful to have been, and to remain a part of it.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-22-2013 10:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-22-2013 11:53 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I should also mention that on this last thought, raggedyann and psychicwolf have always struck me as an exception to this general observation. I've always enjoyed our chats, and appreciated the open, honest discourse. Its good to see you as well RA. :)

Same for me Kaz! Thank you! I hope to see more of you!

I enjoyed psychicwolf's posts too! :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-23-2013 11:39 AM

Good to see you back Kaz. Have always enjoyed your posts......

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 05-23-2013 10:57 PM

Most of the pirates who abused me are "gone." Devastated, Linnea, Shirleypal. What can I say? I quit posting years ago when I was not understood by those who were not listening to George Noory nightly. They would come into the conversation without knowledge .... It was a personal nightmare, especially when my dad died and I was banned for months. Moderators would get mad at comments they did not understand because they weren't listening to C2C when I commented. So I decided to quit posting anything but generalities without much substance. It is still very difficult to honestly communicate here. So I drop a one liner here and there and keep it simple. I'm less likely to be hurt. I really miss the nightly chats during C2C. Miss those conversations the most.:(

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-23-2013 11:21 PM

cherry wrote: Most of the pirates who abused me are "gone." Devastated, Linnea, Shirleypal. What can I say? I quit posting years ago when I was not understood by those who were not listening to George Noory nightly. They would come into the conversation without knowledge .... It was a personal nightmare, especially when my dad died and I was banned for months. Moderators would get mad at comments they did not understand because they weren't listening to C2C when I commented. So I decided to quit posting anything but generalities without much substance. It is still very difficult to honestly communicate here. So I drop a one liner here and there and keep it simple. I'm less likely to be hurt. I really miss the nightly chats during C2C. Miss those conversations the most.:(

I can't say much except I am glad you are here and let's make the most of this place. Can we do a C2C chat? I am not awake, I am on EST and I have to be at work at 9ish AM. However, lots are, and I know you make a serious effort to open the chat thread and be online. Thank you. Let's try to explore the late night chat more, it is our legacy.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-23-2013 11:33 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I haven't read this thread in ages, and always find it

Alas, I'm almost done with this experiment, and I suspect you'll be seeing a bit more of (as Live365 put it, lol) my 15 paragraph posts fairly soon. :)

Thanks for the shout out Fan, and thanks for keeping the forum alive. Its a living, breathing, wonderful community and I'm grateful to have been, and to remain a part of it.

Kaz, I sincerely hope that I can provide a forum where different sides can be heard. There will always be bias, by myself and others, no person is without it. If we can express ourselves like grown-ups, be reasoned in our debates, don't resort to name-calling and juvenile reactions, we have a chance to learn something from each other.

From our limited interactions, I think Kaztronic is a fascinating character and masterful writer. Thank you sir.

cherry
Pirate

ORR with C2C

Post by cherry » 05-23-2013 11:39 PM

Your job comes first, unless you like riding the bus and going to the food banks and thrift stores. One of these nights I might surprise you and start the ORR again.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-23-2013 11:52 PM

Cherry, Thank you so much for your post. It is wonderful what your few words convey. Understanding and being understood is so very important to us all. And I am so glad you are here and now I understand, thank you for your gift to me and I am sure the rest of us also. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-25-2013 02:32 PM

You'll find it's a more subdued crowd around these parts now cherry. Don't be a stranger.:coolhat:

And the place isn't the same without you Kaz but I do understand the pulling of the plug. Been there myself.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”