Kaztronic

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 02-04-2010 02:55 PM

HB3 wrote: Oh yeah -- that was from the time where you kept insulting me over and over again, in various threads, until I finally started fighting back, and suddenly everything was my fault.

Yeah, I remember that. That was also around the time I started getting emails from ex-members, wondering why I put up with it all....

Ah... I see. You are the totally innocent victim.

BULL****!

Fighting back? You accused me of having some sort of psycho-sexual problem (project much?) and you call THAT justifiable "fighting back"?

It was UGLY. Only a complete idiot or a paid troll would find it justifiable.

Take your pick. You have a choice. I don't give a rat's ass either way.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:01 PM

Live365 wrote: Linnea, we've all shared these concerns for...what's it been. Maybe two years now? But I don't, and never have, percieve the Ship as being mismanaged. The re-tread "Eagle" of last week was quick to get planked, but we all saw it coming and all knew how it would end. You did little more than nip it in the bud and save precious server space. The comments you've heard, I don't know what to say about them. I've made my stand clear more than once in more than one thread. Don't come in, post around for a month and then start litanizing everything that's wrong. Which usually correlates quite well with what you personally don't like. The Ship has been here for ten years. Most of the people I see complain don't last six months.

I also stand by my contention that it's not the Forum that has slowed down, it's the world. You'll notice that when something *happens* (Haiti, Art doing a show), the place lights up like a firefly. The problem, is what do you do about a slow world. We're doing a good job of hanging in there. And "hanging in there", in my experience, ultimately pays off.

My only suggestion is that we should all, even by way of obligation, step up our own level of participation. If you take five minutes to make one comment in one thread a day, you've helped. I've never known a Pirate who didn't want to give their opinion about something. So talk!

Great post, Live. I try to do my part. Granted, it's often in the middle of the night when no one but me is here, but at least, I do post. ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:13 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Hi Live and Linnea,

To answer your question Live (I'm actually sorry to do this), but I do have things to say, that hasn't changed. In fact, I've been typing away doing my thing, talking about the topics that interest me, arguing, debating, agreeing, discussing, learning, fuming, smiling, laughing, crying, etc..... I'm just not doing that here at the Fantastic Forum these days.

I have to disagree with your assessment that activity here is down due to it being a "slow world" right now. The fact is, there are other forums out there with hundreds of members posting away all day and night about many of the same topics once discussed so passionately and honestly here. It has been exciting, surprising, joyful, and sad (all at the same time) to discover that there are several old Fantastic Forum members posting out there still, sometimes you can tell it's them by their writing & interests - other times they come right on out and say hello!

The reason the Fantastic Forum is slowing down, it's membership dwindling, is internal - not external.

Frankly, there isn't much of interest to read here anymore. There are relatively few spirited debates anymore, especially in the areas that predominantly drive the forum these days (politics and general current events).

Why is that?

Simple, there frankly exists a lack of diversity of opinion. This impacts the information shared, and obviously the discussions that take place. Thus the dominos begin to fall, and the problem builds to the point where there aren't even that many lurkers anymore.

It wasn't always that way, was it?

The natural follow-up question thus becomes, what happened to cause a lack of diversity of opinion here? Why are some members who have demonstrated an interest in alternative, or less than popular opinions in the past silent now, whereas they were outspoken in the past?

It's easy to fall in to the trap of citing those that remain as proof that such alternative opinions remain here - but I submit that such a focus is in error as it ignores the problem of those who have left, leaving this forum relatively silent these days.

I'll break this down in to two parts; 1. Why I personally stopped writing here, and 2. What I see that is different where I do still participate.

I stopped writing here because It's become very difficult to discuss the issues anymore. As time has gone on, I have watched as the issues have been shoved aside in favor of partisan politics & allegiances (Psychicwolfs posts serving as a major exception in my opinion - although they garner far less replies than say, Cherry Kelly for example - why is that?). At least half of the threads in P&G are simply hit pieces on Republicans, and often ugly at that. It so dominates the conversation here - and frankly, this place doesn't have the membership levels of DU to pull that kind of thing off.

You have to know going in to any conversation that if you are going to share an opinion, or information that does not reflect well on Democrats, President Obama, and/or the policies they put forth that you are generally going to have problems. If you were foolish enough to share an opinion with, or quote someone like Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, or Rush Limbaugh for instance on an issue you wished to discuss, then the topic would most likely instantly change from the issue - to the source or personality quoted. As time has gone on, this has effectively chipped away at so many sources of discussion and information - leaving the forum stuck with limited resources of information (since sourcing information is often deemed to be extremely important here). Whether you agree with the people I used as an example or not is less relevant than the interesting issue driven conversations that could take place in my opinion. You can be almost certain though that such conversations will get ugly, and if you share an opinion with these personalities, you can be certain that you will be dismissed and found guilty by association. It's a bullying tactic that has been in place for a while now, and has slowly eroded any two-sided political conversation. After a while you have to ask yourself, if you can't find the information or analysis you want on Huffington Post or Mother Jones, then why bother?

This behavior extends beyond sources of information though, it hits everywhere. You have a little group of people who treat this forum as their kingdom, who determine which opinions are valid and worthy of discussion. I think this was perfectly in evidence the other day when Megman was attacked, in group fashion because he had the nerve to discuss the U.S. Space Program when he was a Canadian. The question was asked, by someone who mind you has had zero problems sharing their opinions on what other countries ought to be doing, the question was asked "when did you last pay taxes in America?" or something like that. This was UGLY. It was designed to effectively dismiss his opinion as an "outsider". Anything he might have offered to the discussion was deemed frankly irrelevant - so he let her have it in response, rightly so in my opinion (and was far more tame than some of what is written towards people like CK by some of those that this group supports) - further, he accurately predicted the little group getting involved in making him look bad. When a mob comes after you Live, it's very annoying and makes it unlikely that a person will want to contribute in the future. Amazingly, in all of the anger at his calling this person out (who had pulled the same ugly stunt citing his Canadian citizenry as reason for him to basically "shut up" in the past on more than one occasion), lost in all of that was the attempt to invalidate the opinion of another long-time poster because their information was somehow unworthy - the overall issue was of secondary importance. So, what happened, a long-time member of the Forum is now gone - and no one bats so much as an eyelash.

It goes beyond that, I've watched over the last week as two separate members have been accused of being paid operatives of the right-wing..... again, an attempt to dismiss, discredit, silence, distract, etc..... The issues take second place. These people are not welcome here by this little group, is it any surprise that they stop posting? To that end, guess what? I know of another long-time member who is quitting this place for much the same reasons many of us have cited.

In my case, I was dismissed as a closet Republican, although I am an Independent, and my arguments were dismissed constantly as "false equivalencies", and after a while simply ignored. This group was ugly to deal with, because the personal (which always exists in heated discussions and these types of forums) totally overwhelmed the underlying issues offered up for discussion.

So Live, why bother posting?

Now, what about these other places where I find myself currently participating?

Well, they also get ugly and personal occasionally. They get intense, they are filled with arguments, sometimes insults. Feelings are hurt, etc......

What's the difference in these places? Well, I've not seen attempts to simply discredit other members as having opinions that are frankly irrelevant, unworthy, not applicable due to whatever reasons - and most importantly I've not seen any concerted efforts by those who often agree with each other to go after specific people and shut them up by relentlessly following them and attacking them. There are no cliques, there isn't nearly as much piling on, and their is no dismissal of opinions - the opinions are discussed, relevant information is brought in to the discussion and is not dismissed outright. There are no shrines to the President and his party, there are not multiple threads dedicated each day to the evil nature of either party. Heck, people concede that they can be wrong from time to time, concede they are not sure, concede that we may not know how things will work out until down the road, change their minds, etc.....

These places have spirited conversation, devils advocate conversations, and go out of their way to welcome and embrace alternative viewpoints and encourage argument / debate along those lines, whereas the Fantastic Forum seems controlled by a select few who determine what is worthy of the forums time.

You know what's funny and sad, these same people who fought so hard to pile on everyone with an alternative viewpoint have nothing to say anymore other than "hello", "I agree", "right on", "good one", "I love you", and "thanks for sharing that article". They've no one left to talk to. It all comes down to a lack of diversity in opinion here, and the root causes of that. Don't believe me, well take a look at whose posts garner the most responses these days - Cherry Kelly's. Simply put, these people have run out of people to talk to - and that is why the forum is dying, if not already dead.

I'll leave you with this Live, I can offer no solutions to resolve this and bring the forum back to life. I happen to think it comes back to the dominos I mentioned earlier - at this point it is possible that too many have fallen. Moderation is not the answer, being polite is probably not necessary either. You certainly can't go after this group, because if they left, well - that would solve nothing and likely make it even worse because there would be no one left. So it in effect comes down to a lack of information here at the forum, and a lack of two-way dialogue on the issues. Until that is embraced again, and until it starts again the dominos will continue to fall. People say, "if it's not broken, don't fix it".... well, guys, it's broken - so, if you want it to work properly again, assuming the parts are salvageable, well, then you need to fix it.

I'll tell you this, I miss posting here, and I miss the people who have left the forum. I miss what they brought to the forum, the fascinating ideas, opinions, and information. As time has gone on, they have all generally mentioned the same thing, that their opinion no longer counted, and frankly did not feel welcomed here anymore. This was once an educational, spirited place - now it is a nearly empty room still reliving an election that took place over a year ago. I loved the Fantastic Forum (and still do), I supported it - with donations when I was able, but mostly with my writing and passion. The Fantastic Forum was a place tha I valued very much. And when, like others who have left, when I no longer felt welcome I asked myself if there was any place else out there that had what this place once did. I went out and found it, I come back and write this because I hope that one day, before this charmed space disappears, that it can re-capture the magic it once had.

For you Live, I know that this place is very much about community - if you wish to preserve this community, you need to analyze why people are leaving it behind for other venues. Remember this, it is folly to think they no longer care about the issues, are no longer passionate, and most importantly - no longer write - we do, just not here right now.

You know what else is sad, in the past when I might have written about something like this, I would have cared very much about the replies it might garner, and if necessary, I would have worked hard to defend myself - right now, I'll probably end up saying: why bother?

Kaz, this post is overly long, accusatory in tone and substance, and takes no personal responsibility for your own part in harassing others or driving good posters away.

I was harassed by you when I came back after a long hiatus from posting. I made a simple tongue-in-cheek comment meant to be humorous in response to one of your posts that you took as an insult and then proceeded to follow me into other threads all over the forum to harass me -- you and HB3 both -- about being a "feminist," as if that was a dirty word. You are not innocent.

You are also primarily responsible for driving away another long-time member who was a very good poster, who posted many thread-starters, and was always a great one to engage in dialogue with others whose opinions differed from her own -- passionately, but civilly, without rancor or name-calling. She was a great poster, and I miss her. Again, you are not innocent.

I wasn't going to get involved in this, but after sleeping on it, decided that those things needed to be said, so I did. I am not interested in laboring the point with long-winded accusations and/or defenses. What's done is done. But to come in here and condescendingly finger-point without owning your own faults deserved a response. So, there it is.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:15 PM

Linnea wrote: Kaz - it seems apparent that you primarily have personal issues with, what you characterize as 'a little group of people who treat this forum as their kingdom, who determine which opinions are valid and worthy of discussion'. From this you have rationalized a scenario which includes the entire Fantastic Forum. This kind of situation usually results in the leaving of the forum. I would posit this has been the trajectory of many former members. That's life on the internet.

I am also sure many of us are aware there are hundreds/thousands of other forums churning out posts and comments 24/7 out there. And, yes - some few of those posters have passed through the Fantastic Forum at some point. Many of the posters here also post at other forums. This is not something new. Over a period of 10+ years it is hardly remarkable.

We have an exceptional group of passionate, intelligent and outspoken posters here. Most of them very feisty indeed! And, yes - it does get rough from time to time. Sometimes things do get too personal and there are flare ups, as Live365 noted. Especially in Politics and Government topics.

As far as membership 'dwindling', I believe most of the core group is still here, again as Live365 noted. There has been a marked lull in participation, and some of that may be for the reasons you have stated. However, I agree again with Live365 - that most of this is due to a cycle of 'in breathing', or general weariness out there with events in the world. I have noticed many other blogs and forums experiencing a similar 'slow down' effect at this time.

There is a strong diversity of opinion here - and not all of that diversity is expressed in partisan politics.

And, yah - the forum is boring when there are not more posts and posting. The remedy for that is more posting.

Some of us continue to post things, hopefully, of interest - so at least there is something interesting to read and think about. It's true most of this same information is out there on the internet, but it is interesting to snag some of that and post it here. Hopefully that will generate some comment and further interest.

And lastly, 'Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh' are paid 'personalities'. ;) They are in the profession and out there to rake in the bucks - with of course, their progressive counterparts as well.

And actually one more thing. I am disappointed you came with this message which is so generally critical of Fantastic Forum. Speaking for me only - I do not believe it was warranted.
Well-said, Linnea. Thank you. You speak for me as well.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:23 PM

Live365 wrote: The Lord Jesus knows how much I love Kaztronic. When I came in and saw a typical, fifteen paragraph Kaz-post, I literally welled up with tears. Geez, I miss that.

But Kaz – and, ironically, Ironsgold and to a lesser extent Biker – were three of the people I’ve alluded to in the past as being “relative newbies” who come in and pontificate about how the place should conduct itself. The difference with these three individuals, is that they stuck out what ever it was and became valued members of the Forum. But they would be three exceptions. You (not YOU, Kaz. You generic) don’t know the dynamic between Cherry Kelly, Corvid and Rombaldi. You weren’t here to see it evolve. You don’t realize that Racehorse and Linnea have been posting together for seven years, and the relationship that they have. You’re not aware of all the complexities involved in the Joe Quinn movement, and how long that’s been going on. You didn’t see the days when this place was assaulted on a weekly basis by a group of two or three lunatics would register and re-register under different nicks and start throwing bombs, and why the “in-crowd” takes immediate action when they see it coming again. Believe me, three years from now (and yes. We’re all still going to be here three years from now), when you see a “relative newbie” come in and say “the place is too biased; who runs this forum?” or “why does that Joolz person think she can speak for Corvid? (based on an actual true story)”, or “why are that Kaztronic-guy’s posts so long?” or even “but I thought Cherry Kelly and Cherry were the same person” (another true story), you will react the way you see people reacting now. Because you’ll be remembering the conversation – the community -- we had today, three years before. Something they weren’t privy too. You’ll feel what I feel. This is my family, and I don’t need late-to-the-party-folks disrespecting that.

As far as this business of being diversity being attacked, that didn’t “just start”, Kaz. And it isn’t just here. I used to watch a soap opera called the “Bold and the Beautiful”. I used to go to a message board for fans of the “Bold and the Beautiful”. The driving force of the “Bold and the Beautiful” is Brooke, who is a beautiful blonde, and Taylor, who is a beautiful brunette, and they are rivals. There are “Brookie’s” and “Tay-fans”…and they fight. Fight. They call each other names, they insult each other’s intelligence and sense of morals, they stalk each other and form gangs to tell each other they aren’t fit to be mothers, or they must be sluts themselves, or maybe they’re “secret lesbos” and that’s why they have that opinion. And then the moderators – of which there are seven – have to come in and lock the thread. These are Characters. On. A Soap Opera. But some of the most vile things I’ve ever seen I saw on that message board about two people who don’t actually exist. People lose their minds on the Internet. Toward that end, it becomes necessary to elucidate what actually constitutes an “attack”. In the Megman incident you cited, the only person who actually “attacked” the guy was myself, and all I really did was ask him what the hell his problem was. It was based on this exchange below:

“Your right and you had nothing to say when Bush was blowing millions, when did you pay taxes in the US ?”

“I don't know who the **** you think you are but you can stick your head back up your ass where it belongs........”

Maybe five different people will read that and see five different things. But because I’m a member of this community, I happen to know that Megman is a guy who works out, and SETIsLady is a genteel woman. If I were at a bar and an overbearing male told a gentle female to stick her head up her a$$, he’d lose a testicle. Being told you’re disagreed with and why doesn’t constitute an attack. Even being questioned on why you feel a certain way doesn’t constitute an attack. Accusations of being a closeted Republican operative for the Bush junta may come close…until you realize it’s Joe Quinn saying it. And since you know the history of Joe Quinn, you understand it. The sensitivity fades with time and knowledge. I can tell by certain aspects of your post that for you, it already has.

As far as these “other forums”, different strokes I guess. Why would I want to post with three hundred other people when I can come in here every day and talk with a dozen of my closest friends? Tell me. On these other forums, has anyone ever started a thread titled “Kaztronic?” to ask where you are? But I can’t talk about the economy anymore. I don’t know what else there is to say. I’m bored of imaginary flu pandemics, airplane bombings that never actually took place, a healthcare bill that will never pass, a woman from Alaska who didn’t even finish the job she was hired for, the pregnant daughter of the woman from Alaska who didn’t even finish the job she was hired for. Obama is the President. There’s no need to argue about it anymore. I know George sucks. I’ve been dealing with the fact that George sucks since 2003. I don’t see why we need entire threads devoted to discussing it. But the result, is that there is nothing much to talk about these days. At least not for me. But when – If? When? – things start happening in this world again, this will be the first place you’ll come. Even if you need a break, don’t stray too far they buoy. And we’ll be here.

Another great post, Live.

<<<"Why would I want to post with three hundred other people when I can come in here every day and talk with a dozen of my closest friends? ">>> True for me as well. I do post other places now and then as well, but the FF is HOME. I agree with Linnea that the "core group is still here." That core IS diverse, and it forms the base of the community that IS this Ship. For me, this is not just one of any number of internet forums I may read and sometimes post to -- this is my home, my community, my internet family.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:24 PM

Psychicwolf wrote: Great visual.:D

Yes, that IS a great visual! :D
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 03:31 PM

IronsGold wrote: Hey Live!

I'm still around! I think I'm just burnt out on politics in general these days, and staying clear of the internet. I've sort of come to the conclusion that no matter who is in power, nothing will ever change. Thank you for your post!

But Linnea is right, this is a ship with many decks, and I'll make a point to support this ship from now on!

Joolz, I haven't watched the new "Lost" yet, so I'm staying away from your thread until I do!

Biker says "Hi" Corvid, and "How's the wing?"

Hi IG! I am also "burnt out" on many political topics, although I don't share your sentiments in totality. I am just more like what Live said: tired of a lot of topics and have little left to say that I haven't already. I'm just tired of arguing about it. That's what seems pointless to me, most of the time.

I look forward to reading your responses on the "Lost" thread. Threads such as that one are one of the ways I try to, in some way, foster community and give at least some of us a place to talk where we can just be friends and come not from a place of division, but find common ground. Anyhow, I just finished a re-watch of the premiere episode and will be posting some thoughts on it later this evening, having finally collected the pieces of my brain that were left splattered around the floor Tuesday night. :eek: :D

Tell Biker I said "Hey!"
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 02-04-2010 03:58 PM

Joolz wrote: Kaz, this post is overly long, accusatory in tone and substance, and takes no personal responsibility for your own part in harassing others or driving good posters away.

Overly long? Yeah, been a while since I went long with a post- but I had a lot to say (and hey, it brought a smile to Lives face and more than one funny comment via e-mail this morning). The details of lack of posted information to read these days, chipping away by a small group of posters at the use of alternative sources (making them the issue instead of the original topic), and the resulting lack of two-way dialogue as compared to other venues is apparently of less interest than being accusatory in tone and substance in response (which lends a touch of irony to any lecture about my the assumption of responsibility for what is happening at the forum).

As for personal responsibility, I have no problem taking responsibility for my actions, as I said here in this thread, there have been plenty of mistakes, and plenty of posts I've regretted. This could apply to every single one of us, it does not change the fact that people aren't posting much anymore - and there are people who feel that a diversity of viewpoints on the main issues being discussed here are not particularly welcome (I count myself amongst those people).

Given the responses I've received thus far outside of the forum this morning regarding my post from last night (including one I very much got a kick out of since the person found me on YouTube of all places - and I'm not even sure who they are), I know that I am not alone in having this impression of the problems that exist on this forum.

Hey, it boils down to this - either their is a problem, or their isn't.

If their isn't an internal problem along the lines I've theorized, then let this thread die and keep on trucking as things are - we'll see how that works out (hopefully you're right - because the maintenance of the status quo is by far the most likely outcome of this conversation anyway). Those who are posting will continue to do so, and those who aren't will likewise probably remain silent.

But if their is a problem, then I think it is pretty funny that you're pointing the finger solely at me on the personal responsibility front - because I don't see anyone else assuming any responsibility for any problems here. Further, it is not my suggestion that people are leaving because others argue with them too much, or that their is a lack of moderation (I don't believe that is the solution), or that people were mean. If people can't handle others simply arguing with them, so be it - they leave.

My suggestion of the underlying problem here is quiet different, I am asserting that their is a lack of interesting information to read here anymore. I believe that is due to a lack of diversity of opinion in the hottest areas of the ship. I further believe that lack of diversity was caused by the effective silencing, and abject dismissal of opinions of others to the point where numerous people feel that their opinions are either not welcome, or not appreciated here anymore. Another former member once told me that the place had lost it's magic, it's charm, and it's openness to different ideas. Yet another said it had lost it's most important ingredient, a healthy dose of skepticism. I happen to agree with them.

PS - As an aside, and just to clarify, you didn't insult me, and it wasn't anything about feminism that got you and I going way back when. It was an accusation (not related to the topic I was discussing btw) that I used sexist language in my post ("mass hysteria") - sometimes my memory is very sharp, especially when it comes to first impressions (we both left lousy ones with each other by the looks of things).
Last edited by Kaztronic on 02-04-2010 04:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 02-04-2010 04:10 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I have forgotten the specific incident you are referring to Corvid, but am totally willing to take another look at it and respond accordingly. Can you refresh my memory on the topic or thread so I might locate it and read it again?

Before I even get to that however, I'll say this - I own my words. The good ones, and certainly the bad ones. The body of writing I have put up on this forum speaks in it's own way, and stands as a representation of my thoughts - both good and bad. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't regret plenty of things I've said on this forum, over the thousands of posts - no question. I'd also be lying if I said that it didn't bother me when I upset people (especially those I particularly get along with and care about outside of the forum), it does bother me quite a bit each time it happens as a result of something I wrote that stung. I have a guilty conscience about things like that. I've made plenty of mistakes, and said plenty of ****ty things over the past couple of years - sometimes I think it was probably justified, other times I know that it was not. When called out on it, I try to cool down and take another look at what happened and try to see it from a different perspective to better understand the impact that my words had on a person. When I'm wrong I'll apologize, and I'll try to use it as an experience to grow from and become a better poster.

Long story short, I'll take a look at what I wrote, and if I owe you an apology, you'll get one, because I own my actions, both the good, and the bad.

The words I've written in this thread are with regards to my perceptions of what is wrong with this forum, and represent my own reasons for choosing not to participate here at this time. Agree or disagree - either something is wrong here, or it's not.

If the Forum is slow these days simply because it's a slow news cycle, or something along those lines - if the root cause it external, then once that is corrected it stands to reason that the place will be jumping again. No need to address these types of concerns, all will be well.

On the other hand, if you don't think that scenario is all that realistic and that the reason a bunch of people have either greatly curtailed, or stopped posting altogether is internal - then it needs to be met head on, because maintaining the status quo under those circumstances will just lead this place to become more and more quiet, until eventually it ceases to exist.

The post in question is referenced above. Frankly I do not know which thread it was on because I was not posting to that thread.

YOU did not make that UGLY post... hb3 did. All you did was agree with hb3 at the outset to jump on me even though I was in no way involved in that thread.

I can forgive what you did do although I do not know why you did so.

What I will never forgive is what you DID NOT do. When you and hb3 had the whole tag team thing going and he made that UGLY post, YOU did NOT say to him... "Gosh, hb3, that was way over the top and not called for." Why did you not call him on that?

That I do not forgive... and never will.... so save your gawddamn apology.

I could not possibly care less if you post or not. I don't read them anyway because you have no credibility with me.

Having said that, thank you for at least responding. Did you see how that little coward hb3 ran for the hills when I called him on his bullsh!t?

Oh so typical.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 02-04-2010 04:36 PM

Well Corvid,

All I can really remember about this incident is the time period - and that my impression at that time was that there was quite a bit of ganging up on HB3 going on back then. My concern was that he was either going to quit, or be tossed from the forum so as to calm everyone else. I did not want to see that happen, so I stood by him, and I am very glad he continued posting because I personally have always found his opinions and posts to be sharp and interesting - they were also different than the mainstream forum view, which even back then I considered to be critically important to the long-term viability of the Fantastic Forum (not to mention my own continued participation. That covers the bit about what I "did do". If I insulted you personally during the exchange, I apologize - by then I was already burnt out and half way out the door. Definitely not my finest days on the forum - and not much different from the problems I perceive in the forum right now.

As far as what I "did not do", well - I can't recall to be totally honest, but I can tell you that my discussions with friends are not limited to the forum itself. I consider HB3 a friend, both inside and outside of the forum - he and I email each other pretty regularly and I can tell you that I have had no problem telling him when I thought he was trying to antagonize others, or be an asshole. Likewise, he has had no problem telling me when I've been a jerk to someone, or frankly needed to get some sleep as I was posting ugly and showing my irritation in the forum unfairly towards someone. I honestly have no idea if that occured on that occasion, or not.

So, I'll save the apology as requested and am at least glad for having had the chance to air it out.

As for the credibility bit, if the contents of my posts lack any credibility with you because of this, so be it. There are people here who have no credibility with me as well - but I assign that credibility based upon the content of their posts more than anything else.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 02-04-2010 04:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 02-04-2010 04:52 PM

"All I can really remember about this incident is the time period - and that my impression at that time was that there was quite a bit of ganging up on HB3 going on back then."

So you figured, Kaz, that it was acceptable then to gang up on ME on a thread I was not involved in? Feeble excuse at best.

My disappointment in you was the greater because I had thought that you were smarter than hb3.... and you were probably not being paid to disrupt. He led you far astray.

I have things to do. Goodbye.

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 02-04-2010 05:22 PM

One of the many things I like about you, Laura, is that you never give up. You brought the forum back to life today.

Embroiled as I am with a plethora of problems at home, I have little patience with the pettiness of political posting right now.

Can't seem to find anything to post which might be of interest. With all the gloom and doom surrounding us my inclination is to post about the things that help me make it through the day. Those are my furry friends, music and good news about people helping one another. I've tried all of those and the posts were DOA.

You give me hope, Laura. Thank you. I'll try, try again.
:)
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 02-04-2010 05:33 PM

Bella, over the past several months, the threads I've most thoroughly enjoyed reading and participating in were yours, about those said topics. DOA or no, they have not gone unnoticed.

Don't you give up, either.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 02-04-2010 05:39 PM

If by "quite a bit of ganging up on HB3" do you mean that he waits for any opportunity to insult people, and when anyone responds, you (Kaz) jump in and say "look, they don't respect diversity of opinion," and then you go whine to the mods about it, and try to make it look like you were all innocent? Because that's the pattern I observed.

I tried very hard to get along with everyone for many months. Go back and read those early threads I was in. When the debate started going against whatever point HB3 was making (i.e, whatever talking point he was covering for that day) he would start with the insults. Remember when, out of the blue, he just outright called me stupid? I had done nothing but be kind to him at that point.

I used to try and meet him at the level of music, since I am a musician. I honestly think he is very talented. I tried to compliment him once, and mentioned I was a musician in a band and mentioned we played Alan Parsons covers. He then made a snide remark about AP, like it was so uncool. He produced the longest charting album in the history of music, Dark Side of the Moon, but I digress. I finally realized that HB3 sees nice as weakness.

And like Joolz, I can think of three people off the top of my head that have told me off-list that they were leaving just because of Kaz. I think you're a smart guy, Kaz, but damn if you're not easily insulted, and if you don't follow people around and needle them to death over any perceived infraction.

And Live - great post earlier.
Last edited by rumike on 02-04-2010 05:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 02-04-2010 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Kaztronic
Overly long? Yeah, been a while since I went long with a post- but I had a lot to say (and hey, it brought a smile to Lives face and more than one funny comment via e-mail this morning). The details of lack of posted information to read these days, chipping away by a small group of posters at the use of alternative sources (making them the issue instead of the original topic), and the resulting lack of two-way dialogue as compared to other venues is apparently of less interest than being accusatory in tone and substance in response (which lends a touch of irony to any lecture about my the assumption of responsibility for what is happening at the forum).

As for personal responsibility, I have no problem taking responsibility for my actions, as I said here in this thread, there have been plenty of mistakes, and plenty of posts I've regretted. This could apply to every single one of us, it does not change the fact that people aren't posting much anymore - and there are people who feel that a diversity of viewpoints on the main issues being discussed here are not particularly welcome (I count myself amongst those people).

Given the responses I've received thus far outside of the forum this morning regarding my post from last night (including one I very much got a kick out of since the person found me on YouTube of all places - and I'm not even sure who they are), I know that I am not alone in having this impression of the problems that exist on this forum.

Hey, it boils down to this - either their is a problem, or their isn't.

If their isn't an internal problem along the lines I've theorized, then let this thread die and keep on trucking as things are - we'll see how that works out (hopefully you're right - because the maintenance of the status quo is by far the most likely outcome of this conversation anyway). Those who are posting will continue to do so, and those who aren't will likewise probably remain silent.

But if their is a problem, then I think it is pretty funny that you're pointing the finger solely at me on the personal responsibility front - because I don't see anyone else assuming any responsibility for any problems here. Further, it is not my suggestion that people are leaving because others argue with them too much, or that their is a lack of moderation (I don't believe that is the solution), or that people were mean. If people can't handle others simply arguing with them, so be it - they leave.

My suggestion of the underlying problem here is quiet different, I am asserting that their is a lack of interesting information to read here anymore. I believe that is due to a lack of diversity of opinion in the hottest areas of the ship. I further believe that lack of diversity was caused by the effective silencing, and abject dismissal of opinions of others to the point where numerous people feel that their opinions are either not welcome, or not appreciated here anymore. Another former member once told me that the place had lost it's magic, it's charm, and it's openness to different ideas. Yet another said it had lost it's most important ingredient, a healthy dose of skepticism. I happen to agree with them.

PS - As an aside, and just to clarify, you didn't insult me, and it wasn't anything about feminism that got you and I going way back when. It was an accusation (not related to the topic I was discussing btw) that I used sexist language in my post ("mass hysteria") - sometimes my memory is very sharp, especially when it comes to first impressions (we both left lousy ones with each other by the looks of things).

I am replying to what's in BOLD above.

First of all, I don't see why any of us should give a flying fig what anyone says to you IN EMAIL, or in some OTHER VENUE. If they're not saying it here, it isn't relevant. We all get emails. So what?

I flatly reject that diverse views are unwelcome here. Trolling and disruption are unwelcome, but that is far different from having a different POV. Like Bellisima, I do get tired of the petty bickering, though, and the gloom and doom and pessimism. The older I get, the less patience and time I have for it.

As for your accusation that I was " pointing the finger solely at you on the personal responsibility front," maybe that's because I was replying to YOUR post? Why would I want to bring up someone else when I was talking directly to you?

Finally, yes, I remember that exchange, too, and yes, it was sexism that was mentioned by me, but Kaz, I was JOKING. It was a TEASE. Even after I explained that to you, you chose to remain offended, and continued to harass me all over the board. And yes, I was "accused" of being a "feminist," as if that was a BAD thing, by both you and HB3. I only brought this up to point out the fact that you aren't innocent of doing the same things you were accusing others of doing.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”