Canadian Thanksgiving

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

megman
Parrothead

Canadian Thanksgiving

Post by megman » 10-12-2003 10:05 AM

It's officially Monday, but I always cook my Thanksgiving feast the day before.

Bird just went in the oven. 12.68 Kg ( that's 27.89lbs for the metric impaired):D

Stuffed with 2 loaves of semi-dried cubed bread, one large Spanish onion, 2 cans of Cream Of Mushroom soup, home-grown dried and crushed Oregano and Sage, black pepper and a touch of Parsley.

We'll be cooking this bird covered for 6 hours at 325 degrees. Pockets of butter have been inserted under the skin at various spots so it's self-basting.

This bird is gauranteed to fall apart upon removal.

To all my Canadian fellow pirates, may this Thanksgiving be your best ever!!!

And also a Happy Columbus Day to all my American friends!!!!!
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Black Tassel
Pirate

Re: Canadian Thanksgiving

Post by Black Tassel » 10-12-2003 10:58 AM

Originally posted by megman
It's officially Monday, but I always cook my Thanksgiving feast the day before.

Bird just went in the oven. 12.68 Kg ( that's 27.89lbs for the metric impaired):D

To all my Canadian fellow pirates, may this Thanksgiving be your best ever!!!

And also a Happy Columbus Day to all my American friends!!!!!

Ahem, yur not doing it on the BBQ, meg????? I'm imagining it replacing 'the pig' -- your suntan & all :p

Cheers & Many Thanks for this great country of CANADA

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-12-2003 01:22 PM

In this matter, as in so many others, the Canadians are so much more sensible than the Americans. The American Thanksgiving (which, this year, is going to be held on November 27th) takes place at a time when it is bitterly cold outside and when the first snowfalls start to occur (which, from experience, I know to be a royal pain in the butt when you have to drive one hundred miles or so to Grandma's house). Oh, and since it is celebrated on a Thursday, if your boss is a real prick and makes you come into work on Friday to sit around doing absolutely nothing, you have to drive home at midnight on Thanksgiving Night through the freezing rain to get home to get three or four hours' sleep before you come into work while he, the drunken SOB, is sleeping it off. And lastly, the holiday is also entirely too close to Christmas, and so the whole thing turns out to be a royal mess. The Canadian Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is celebrated at a time when there are no other big holidays around it and when the weather is still good enough to relax and to enjoy it. It is celebrated on a Monday, so everybody benefits. Why shouldn't Thanksgiving be celebrated on Columbus Day? Sounds sensible to me. But America, as you Canadians know very well, never has been sensible (and now, of course, is as mad as a hatter). <SIGH>

Happy Thanksgiving Day, Canadians!

Joe Quinn
Last edited by joequinn on 10-12-2003 01:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-12-2003 01:35 PM

And the Canadians use the metric system too! A quarter of a century ago, when President Carter was trying to get America to switch to the metric system (before Reagan put an end to all of that commie propaganda!), I taught a brief seminar on the metric system in the community where I was a teacher at the time. The students, in general, were not only unable to understand the (simpler) metric system, but they were annoyed that they were being asked to submit to a global standard. Annoyed! I should have realized, right then and there, that Carter was not long for this political world, but I did not... <SIGH>

But I digress from the stated theme of this thread (which, in cyberspace, is the unforgiveable sin against the Holy Spirit). You Canadians were talking about your "Turkey Day." Pardon my digression. After all, I am only an ugly American... <SIGH>

Hope you Canadians enjoy your kilogram-measured turkeys on the 13th!

Joe Quinn

(I wish we could all teleport ourselves to a common table where you Canadians and I could talk at length about American politics and ghosts and flying saucers and all the other important things in life over a nice plate of turkey (one of my favorite meats) and a nice cold Molson's... <SIGH> <SIGH> As it is, I have to watch on TV the Italians march down Fifth Avenue as they (the Columbus people) and the Scandinavians (the Leif Erikkson people) make nasty remarks about one another, while the American Indians (doubtlessly, with justice) spit on them both. <SIGH><SIGH>)
Last edited by joequinn on 10-12-2003 01:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 10-12-2003 04:52 PM

I agree 100% with your sediments on American Thanksgiving Joe. Could never understand why it was so late in the year.

Thankful for what? Having to shovel white crap??? :D

And of course the metric system. Came out here mid-highschool for myself. I'm metric-bilingual.:cool:

Well the L-Tryptophan Effect is kicking in as I type. Better known as Turkey sleep.

This is something that goes back to prehistoric turkeys. It wasn't a defense mechanism, but more of a Revenge mechanism.

The turkey's would draw straws (no pun intended) to see who would be the sacrafice. The cave-dwellers then would set off to killing and eating said bird and get drowsy and pass out.

The remain turkeys would then attack!!!:D

BT, I considered doing the bird on the BBQ but I need to beef up my spit to handle the weight. Even had a prob with the piglet at 25lbs.

A turkey soaked in brown sugar and soya sauce for 24 hours then slow roasted over coals would be to die for. :D
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-12-2003 05:23 PM

Well, I must say, Thanksgiving, as celebrated here in America, is one of my least favorite holidays. You're right, Joe... it's a misplaced harvest festival. ;)

When I worked in the public schools, one teacher I worked with wanted to do the whole "pilgrims and Indians" thing. <gag> I explained to her that it was offensive to me. But she did it anyway. I just stayed home "sick" the day before Thanksgiving when she did this. The kids all got to wear either "pilgrim hats" made of black construction paper or "Indian feather headbands" also made of construction paper. <bleagh> I was expected to design and implement this project since I was the resident artist. <doublebleagh> I did so, but not without doing my part to educate the kids in my care (the older ones) about the true history of this "Thanksgiving." Needless to say, it was not appreciated by the classroom teacher/boss. But the kids appreciated it. ;) I also implented a different take on "Thanksgiving"... in which the kids had a writing assignment/art project where they made a list of things they truly were thankful for and incorporated it into an art project (lots of cute answers on that one! :D ).

That said, I do celebrate a harvest/feast day (hey... who doesn't appreciate a good feasting day?), but it's not your typical "Thanksgiving" celebration, except in that Corvid watches feetsball all day and we all fall asleep. ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-12-2003 05:26 PM

I meant to add:

Happy Turkey Day to all our Canadian friends! :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

deeremom
Pirate

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by deeremom » 10-12-2003 05:31 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to Meg, BT, Foxyred, and all of you other Canadians!

I agree, October is much more sensible than November for all of the above stated reasons ..... the November date leads to serious holiday fatigue here ........ especially if you're the one doing all the cooking!

Fax-a-Food port is open and waiting for leftovers Meg ;)

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 10-12-2003 06:13 PM

It is a misplaced holiday Joolz. Now had the Pilgrims shot Bobcat instead of turkey......:eek:

One loaded plate coming through mom.
**megman and the FF cannot be held resonsible for any gravy leakage in the keyboard** :D
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

deeremom
Pirate

Gravy leakage!

Post by deeremom » 10-12-2003 10:33 PM

Thanks Meg, the leftover plate came thru just fine :) You are the best chef ever! And happy to report, no gravy leaked on my keyboard ;)

Wish you could cater U.S. T'giving at The Farm ;)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 10-12-2003 10:36 PM

Happy holiday to our northern friends...and to my in-laws in Ontario. ;) May this and all future harvests be rich and bountiful.

Meg, that turkey sounds mouth watering. Our bird is usually about half that size. Undo that top pants button and find a recliner. [img]http://www.fantasticforum.com/images/sm ... 487[1].gif[/img]
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 10-12-2003 10:39 PM

Sheesh, Megman ... your writing about your bird has me salivating (read drooling) too. Yum!!

Happy Thanksgiving, to our Canadian friends!!

:)

swimmbadd
Pirate

Post by swimmbadd » 10-13-2003 09:42 PM

Hope you all had a good one and thanks for the cooking tips Meg I think I'll use them this year. I especially like the self basting part;)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-14-2003 04:11 AM

I hope All of our Canadian Pirates had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday on Monday.:)
racehorse

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”