How did the fighting get out of control

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

DesertOfTheSea
Pirate

Post by DesertOfTheSea » 10-11-2003 12:37 AM

My Grandfather (R.I.P.) always used to tell me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" and he was exactly right. That should be the Fantastic Forum Motto!!! We can be peaceful pirates......

Chas
#1 Art Bell Fan (in the high desert).

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-11-2003 04:24 PM

Yes, but the temptation, DesertOfTheSea, is not to listen to your grandfather but to "Princess Alice," Teddy Roosevelt's daughter, who terrorized Washington society until she died in the 1960s and of whom even JFK was afraid. Princess Alice used to say: "If you have nothing good to say about somebody, then sit right down here with me." That is the temptation which faces all of us here in the Fantastic Forum.

Regards and best wishes to you all,

Joe Quinn

:D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Joolz
Pirate

Re: Joolz`

Post by Joolz » 10-11-2003 04:29 PM

tiffany wrote: (((((((((((((Joolz))))))))))))))

Well we now have a governator..................

Hiya {{{{{{{{Tiff}}}}}}}}

I'm assuming that grieves you as much as it does me? *sigh*

We live in strange and scary times, my friend and fellow Californian...
Image Anchors Aweigh!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-11-2003 05:28 PM

During the 24 hours or so at the height conflict when there were a number of enforced and voluntary plankings I was so distraught I kept Cindy and Jools (yes members of the infamous "Sisterhood") up half the night holding my hand. In denial about how important FF was to me I, at the time, blamed my extreme emotional responses on my current illness, with which I still struggle. NOT the whole picture.

I can't recall exactly where but I read one pirates comment to the effect that some of us "should get a life". I have also read posts implying that the "cliques" formed on FF are somehow suspect or inappropriate. For the information of these posters and others who have posted similar ideas and for you let me tell you the following:

1) FF is a Rorschach Test. A piece of moving abstract art. It is what it is, to you. Anothers may, and probably do have different takes and/or attachments to FF.

2) Spending a lot of time on FF, in and of itself is not a sign of having no life. It is for many of us a part of our lives and I think ~IMHO~ a much more meaningful thing to do in one's free time than watching WWF or cars zooming around an oval track. I have learned a great deal on this board and that is a good thing, especially in these uncertain times.

3) Of course people form bonds, unions, couplings, "cliques" and the like on FF. We do it in the "real" world. We do it online. It is a human thing you know. Human beings form alliances. Period. It is natural. If, as these bonds on FF are, without malice towards others and supportive of one another it is no threat to anyone. PS: Anyone can "join" ;)

4) To the plankers: I was hurt and puzzled by the seeming overreaction, especially to Dot. I was greatly relived when Linn (Linnea) "unplanked" those individuals but it was to late to avoid the anger, confusion and pain that followed. I was especially hurt because I had viewed Linn to be a wise, calm voice on FF. She had been very supportive when I got my HAM license and I considered her an ally. Glad she took a shuttle for bit of shore leave to shake off some stress (hope she went to Risa!). ;)

5) To those who have self planked: I nearly jumped overboard myself. That was the cause of all the hand holding by the ever strong and wise, Cindy and Jools during the wee hours. I was ready to bolt. As I said, I blamed everything I had at my disposal but in the end, after several days of reflection it came down to this: The emotional pain I felt was rooted in the upheaval hear on FF.

5) Scott, I miss you. Of all the posters on FF, you have caused me to reassess my points of view more than any other. While I am glad we have the option to keep in touch outside FF, those who have not read your witty, insightful posts are missing something very special.

PS:
DesertOfTheSea wrote: We can be peaceful pirates......
Peaceful? Within reason, I agree.

Quiet? Never.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-11-2003 05:53 PM

Ah, but what if the Fantastic Forum is a part of the life that one wishes to get, huh? What then?

Joe Quinn

theWAVE
Pirate

Post by theWAVE » 10-11-2003 07:36 PM

joequinn wrote: Ah, but what if the Fantastic Forum is a part of the life that one wishes to get, huh? What then?

Joe Quinn

Exactly! ... ~~~ ...

That IS the bottom line.

Is there a more perfect spot, than here'
not for me.

Thanks Joe Quinn"

You got the boogy in you" and i love it!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-11-2003 07:58 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Wave, but I do not think that it is accurate. The boogie was blackjacked out of me, decades ago. Although sometimes, when I am happy, my eyes do start to glow in the dark. But that's because I've been places and seen things. Or as Mae West more precisely stated, because I've seen places and been things...

But thanks for the compliment, Wave! I will remember it during my next bout of despair...

Regards and best wishes to you and to all,

Joe Quinn
Last edited by joequinn on 10-11-2003 08:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

zeppo
Pirate

Post by zeppo » 10-12-2003 10:17 AM

mudwoman wrote: I can't recall exactly where but I read one pirates comment to the effect that some of us "should get a life".

Ah, yes. The personal attack made against SvladCjelli in the "Thanks, George!" thread.

See, the problem with cliques is not the friendship, but the notion that the only words acceptable to be typed on the forum should be those that do not disrupt the therapeutic comfort zone of the clique. So you end up with some personal attacks happily overlooked, even direct remarks about IQ, and others singled out.
The concern Scott had I think was that Premrad had the resources to influence bias in the determination of such matters, as well as the kind of critical discussion that is allowed. I thought his concerns a stretch. But as I see the resources of certain members having such influence, I now don't see it as a stretch at all. It still seems unlikely to me, yet it is clear to me that the potential is there, especially when such an unbalance is clear concerning the intervention of the forum's own members.

As Linnea has pointed out, criticism of Noory isn't going away, so either you find it a subject you wish to engage in or not. If one finds it uncomfortable, then it's best to leave it alone and stick to the other topics. A pretty straightforward solution. People should understand that not every topic should be there to suit their own specific interests and no one else's, and if they can't be comfortable with that, it's not a fault of the forum or the other members.

If it doesn't interest you, leave it alone and move on. That's what I've chosen to do. Right now, IMO, I have to agree with Scott that the board has taken a turn towards specific interests, of which I don't have a need for either. Yes, as you say, boards do change and evolve. I'll leave the current version to those that must find their comfort in it. I prefered the "pre-evolved" version. To each his own. If at some point I find more posts and posters of interest to me returning to this board, I may join in. Who knows where changes may take it in the future. But until then, later.

Black Tassel
Pirate

Post by Black Tassel » 10-12-2003 11:25 AM

And with Art's help, sense of humour and ingrained ability to develop suspense within 'his' show, we'll be educated, amused, puzzled ......

and tune into the next episode :D

{{HUGS}}
Brenda

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 10-12-2003 06:51 PM

zeppo wrote: Ah, yes. The personal attack made against SvladCjelli in the "Thanks, George!" thread.

See, the problem with cliques is not the friendship, but the notion that the only words acceptable to be typed on the forum should be those that do not disrupt the therapeutic comfort zone of the clique. So you end up with some personal attacks happily overlooked, even direct remarks about IQ, and others singled out.
The concern Scott had I think was that Premrad had the resources to influence bias in the determination of such matters, as well as the kind of critical discussion that is allowed. I thought his concerns a stretch. But as I see the resources of certain members having such influence, I now don't see it as a stretch at all. It still seems unlikely to me, yet it is clear to me that the potential is there, especially when such an unbalance is clear concerning the intervention of the forum's own members.

As Linnea has pointed out, criticism of Noory isn't going away, so either you find it a subject you wish to engage in or not. If one finds it uncomfortable, then it's best to leave it alone and stick to the other topics. A pretty straightforward solution. People should understand that not every topic should be there to suit their own specific interests and no one else's, and if they can't be comfortable with that, it's not a fault of the forum or the other members.

If it doesn't interest you, leave it alone and move on. That's what I've chosen to do. Right now, IMO, I have to agree with Scott that the board has taken a turn towards specific interests, of which I don't have a need for either. Yes, as you say, boards do change and evolve. I'll leave the current version to those that must find their comfort in it. I prefered the "pre-evolved" version. To each his own. If at some point I find more posts and posters of interest to me returning to this board, I may join in. Who knows where changes may take it in the future. But until then, later.

I accept this statement, first and foremost.

By "get a life", I simply meant: please get over the George vs. Art war; it's time to move on.

The implication that "get a life" meant people who post to this board should get a life... is ludicrous. Am I not here every single night of MY life, along with everyone else?

But that came off as defensive. I'm sorry. Aside from the assertion (paraphrase here) that Prem Rad is somehow manipulating thoughts and opinions, I own up to the above statement.

Thanks.
lrs

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 10-14-2003 11:20 PM

hey I didn't even know I was insulted... ach I forgive you all, isn't that what we are here for? Hell, I forgive george too, but that doesn't mean I will cut him slack ;)
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you...

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”