Comments on Fantastic Forum

FF Community posts

Moderator: Super Moderators

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 03-24-2007 10:10 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Majda, when there are serious threads put up about serious problems in our country it is no place for jokes or light heartedness, there are plently of areas on this board to start those type of threads, I agree that they are needed but not by hi-jacking threads where serious discussions are going on. The Brig is a great place to start those threads. Things may feel heavy to you because they are and it is reflected on this board and everywhere. If we lived in a perfect world we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Shirley, Gandhi often used wit and humor about the most serious of subjects during his talks and speeches. He knew that during times of dire situations, what was needed most was laughter. It does not mean that a subject cannot be discussed in a serious manner, if someone interjects a little goofiness or humor. If it offends anyone, then all we have to do is go on and pick up where we left off. I am not talking about hi-jacking the whole thread. I agree with you on that. Perhaps I shouldn't have brought this whole thing up. I've been biting and biting my 'tongue' for days now.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-24-2007 10:16 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Majda, when there are serious threads put up about serious problems in our country it is no place for jokes or light heartedness, there are plently of areas on this board to start those type of threads, I agree that they are needed but not by hi-jacking threads where serious discussions are going on. The Brig is a great place to start those threads. Things may feel heavy to you because they are and it is reflected on this board and everywhere. If we lived in a perfect world we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

Shirley makes a good point. If I've been perceived as "snippy" and that bothers some, I apologize. BUT that said, it bothers me a great deal when I am trying to read and/or participate in a serious disussion and have to wade through a bunch of off-topic stuff that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Lightheartedness certainly has its place--and as Shirely suggested, there are places for that here--and laughter is undoubtedly good for the soul. But there's a time and place for everything under the sun. Some things just ARE serious.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-24-2007 10:17 PM

No problem Majda, you have the right to express your feelings, don't worry about it.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-24-2007 10:19 PM

serious problems
That's the problem, huh? For example, I can clearly see this whole attorney thang is NOTHING but a MADE UP distraction (even if it is something, it isn't going anywhere because nobody has shown there has been any law broken - DOH! Say, maybe we should depo every politician on earth looking for a distracting crime to divide and fight over?). And so, any of that is not only NOT a serious problem to me, but OBVIOUSLY a wicked distraction being perpetrated by those who desire to distract us from actual REAL serious things which need our attention instead, such as the falling sky, and terrorist poisonings, and a doomed planet being allowed to be consumed by rampant out-of-control blessed capitalistic greed and it's hoards of greedy followers that want to vote in leaders that will get them the stuff they all want to get. I see THAT as a serious problem. I guess we all just disagree on what is important. While some like to fight over who they want their daddy of their house to be, others think we should be paying attention to our burning house. It's the same issue as those that think JOBS and HIGH WAGES and more IPODS and eating MEAT is more important than PEACE and CONSERVATION and RESPECT of the planet and her other inhabitants. It's why we have good and bad. This kind of thing won't go away until one side ejects the other side I suppose - ha. We might have to wait until end-times is over before this kind of bickering ever goes away!
Last edited by Divinorumus on 03-24-2007 10:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

three
Pirate

Post by three » 03-24-2007 10:33 PM

maybe swear words like **** or **** should be banned......... maybe BS from continuous posters that say NOTHING should be as well or even first. SHEESH.......

CENSORSHIP??????????? Get Frigging real

three
Pirate

Post by three » 03-24-2007 10:34 PM

air takes up NO ROOM

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 03-24-2007 10:44 PM

Shirleypal wrote: No problem Majda, you have the right to express your feelings, don't worry about it.

Thank you Shirley. And by the way, I had a big brain fart...:D I meant the Dali Lama, not Gandhi. However, in retrospection, it probably applies to both of those great leaders.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 03-24-2007 10:52 PM

Divinorumus wrote: I guess we all just disagree on what is important. While some like to fight over who they want their daddy of their house to be, others think we should be paying attention to our burning house.

Good analogy Div. I guess something I think about is that none of us really knows that much about who the others we are 'talking' to are. We might be surprised in some cases. I am probably overly sensitive of others feelings I guess. No one likes to be spanked in public. I said what I did with trepidation, but I'm glad I got it off my chest. ;) :)

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-24-2007 10:57 PM

Oh, I wasn't specifically addressing or attacking you or anyone .. I was just trying to say there will always be disagreement .. always .. the problem is, how should we prioritize these issues? I myself prefer to attack the REAL issues FIRST .. then if there is any time left we can make up make-believe issues and fight about them. But really, we're at WAR with nature, and SHE has the power to do us ALL in, and so I make no apologies if I think that is more important than who we think our daddy should be.
Last edited by Divinorumus on 03-24-2007 11:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 03-24-2007 11:06 PM

Knew that Div. :)

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-24-2007 11:57 PM

I sure was surprised to see that Texasguy has been planked for a time. His posts were intelligent and I have to say that I agreed with most of what he had to say. However, it's good to see that just because someone is against Bush and the whole damn regime, this will not give them license to insult other's or post in a condesending fashion.

I for one am glad that the FF moderating is going to work both ways and will include all of us.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-25-2007 12:05 AM

Divinorumus wrote: Oh, I wasn't specifically addressing or attacking you or anyone .. I was just trying to say there will always be disagreement .. always .. the problem is, how should we prioritize these issues? I myself prefer to attack the REAL issues FIRST .. then if there is any time left we can make up make-believe issues and fight about them. But really, we're at WAR with nature, and SHE has the power to do us ALL in, and so I make no apologies if I think that is more important than who we think our daddy should be.

Div... you and I are on the SAME side on this. Really. In my opinion, there IS no other issue more important, more REAL, as you say. You wrote: "we're at WAR with nature, and SHE has the power to do us ALL in." I don't see it as US being at war with HER (or more to point, *I* am not at war with HER… I kinda like HER, ya see, and do my best to honor, respect, and work with HER), but I do agree with you that "SHE has the power to do us all in." She is mightily pissed, and we've got to get our act together, or yes, SHE will be at war with US. If we don't make a course-correction --and SOON--then nothing else really matters. In this, you are absolutely correct.

But however important you or I may see this, we might as well just twiddle our thumbs and wait… UNLESS there are some changes at levels that neither you nor I can affect directly. It all depends on one’s circle of influence. Yours and mine are relatively small comparatively. UNLESS there are some changes at levels where the circles of influence are much greater, we are ALL going down.

Where we disagree, I suppose, is that I don’t think we’re going to get to where we need to be WITHOUT these changes happening first. It's NOT that I think things like the U.S. Attorney scandals are a higher priority in the scheme of things. They aren't. But, as I see it, they form a PART of the road that must be built (sometimes, something old must be torn down so that we can build something newer and stronger) to get us to where we need to be.

To me, any prioritizing means looking at the available options, making a plan, and then working that plan. I might be cold, and I might think I need a fire to warm me, but building that fire first requires gathering fuel. This is a part of that fuel-gathering. One stick added to the pile, one step along the road we MUST travel, IF we are to survive at all.

There’s a lot of work to be done. But we won’t get there by attacking and belittling those who are trying to get there along with us, who are also trying to help. That is why I asked you—or tried to—to let up. Haranguing fellow travelers seems pretty counter-productive to me. It won’t help us get to THERE from HERE.

As far as I can tell, Div, we’re on the SAME page. We just differ in how we think we will get there. I see it as “you can’t do what without what?” and I’m not sure what you think, but it appears to me that you think there has to be a mass shift in consciousness. Kind of an all or nothing sort of thing? I see that as reaching critical mass, and this would be great, IF possible, and I do believe it IS another of the “sticks” we are gathering. I sincerely HOPE we get there, and am doing my part as best I can to help GET us there. When/if we reach that point, yes, there WILL be a shift, and things will begin to change rapidly (for the better). But I see many steps that must be taken BEFORE we can even begin to get to that point. IMHO. Maybe you think that dooms us all. Maybe it does. But it still, from my point of view, just is what it IS. It’s just how things ARE. It may be too slow, but it’s all we’ve got.

I hope I've made it clearer to you where I'm coming from and why your tirade was offensive (or maybe more accurately, frustrating) to me on a personal level. I'd really prefer some dialogue without the bizarre rhetoric, but I realize this may just be your style. You've got a lot to say that is good, but most of the time, sadly, it gets lost in the delivery. At least it does for me.

So… Div… truce? I won’t holler at you if you’ll stop treating me like some kind of imbecile. ;) Deal?
Last edited by Joolz on 03-25-2007 12:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-25-2007 12:06 AM

Thank you Raggedyann, it is never an easy decision.:)

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-25-2007 01:14 AM

Sorry, knowing what is going to happen, why, and how, makes me nuts. And what makes me even more nuts is knowing it doesn't actually need to happen like that - again. I guess we just disagree on what needs to be IMMEDIATELY DONE RIGHT NOW and in a big hurry if we ever stand a chance to survive. This is a lot more serious than anyone actually realizes - doom is right around the corner and I'm not kidding about that. This is so seriously that it would demand immediate action such ceasing all oil drilling and use - so serious that we need to take down every fences and stop with every pollutant .. so serious that if we don't surrender to nature damn soon, we are ALL DEAD! All this other stuff doesn't matter - the planet is about to collide with mother natures REVENGE unless we ALL concentrate on hitting the BRAKES NOW! Really, I didn't mean to make is sound like anyone is an imbecile, it's just that I KNOW what is going to happen. Imagine though, you're standing along side a road you've traveled before and you see the truck is coming because you can and have .. and you see two people standing in the middle of the street arguing over who should be the boss over the other one, what would you do? (aside from any personal desires at this point to just let them get what is coming to them, what would you feel morally compelled to do) ? Really, never mind - if all that I'm doing is offending someone I don't need to be here for that - wait, mother nature is going to offend us ALL this year ! well, I'll just sit quietly now and try to keep my laughs to a minimum .. anything else I would have to say would only make some possibly more offended (especially them end-timer religious ones). Nite. Have a nice day.

Return to “Ship's Galley ~ Fantastic Forum Community”