Faith In Science Can Become Another Form Of Religion

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Faith In Science Can Become Another Form Of Religion

Post by Riddick » 08-12-2015 11:57 PM

Both ends of the spectrum can lead to irrational extremism. FULL STORY

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-13-2015 04:04 AM

Ain't that the truth Riddick. In my experience - and I believe that there are already a number of published articles on the subject, doctors, probably, ironically, has the largest percentage of agnostics and atheists as a group, compared to other demographics, although you'll find similar numbers among academic scientists as well.

I think that a lot of it is pure ego, a sorta "I know more than you, therefore, I know all...." .

And, this is ironic on two fronts - in "religion", whether talking about Judeo-Christian beliefs of Hindu/ Buddhist beliefs, the concept of "being humble" stands as a major issue. Pride, being one of those seven deadly sins and all. It appears, at least, that in order to be a full-fledged member of the religion of science, one has to exhibit some degree of pride - the "religion" of science simply cannot exist without it, whereas a belief in a Creator larger than one's self will always continue on simply because the Creator still exists, whether one lives or dies. And, once one dies, that person's soul still exists, and the traditional religious holds to that belief.

The science-religious, does not, and can not, believe in a soul since neither can be measured using any instrument in their toolbox - therefore neither God, nor the souls, exists.

Which sets-up the second irony when patients and family members come to the realization of impending death. There are some doctors who do have a strong personal religious belief and they can move easily between the limitations of science - which they grasp and accept, and assist patients and families with the next phase of their life. There are others though who hold so strongly to the "Science knows all..........." mantra, and when faced with death, are unable to see beyond this point and cannot empathize - in other words, their bedside manner sucks.

Seen it countless times over the years. Patients and family members comment on it all time......

Back in the late 1800s in the small French village of Lisieux, there lived a poor young women named Marie-Françoise-Thérèse Martin. The world knows her today as Saint Theresa, or, "The Little Flower of Jesus". Despite being poor, relatively uneducated, she discerned a path in religious observance that has been acknowledged worldwide as not only doctrinally sound, bu achievable by anyone.

One quote of her's:

I also understood that God’s love shows itself just as well in the simplest soul which puts up no resistance to His grace as it does in the loftiest soul. Indeed, as it is love’s nature to humble itself, if all souls were like those of the holy doctors who have illumined the Church with the light of their doctrine, it seems that God would not have stooped low enough by entering their hearts. But God has created the baby who knows nothing and can utter only feeble cries. He has created the poor savage with no guide but natural law, and it is to their hearts that He deigns to stoop. They are His wild flowers whose homeliness delights Him. By stooping down to them, He manifests His infinite grandeur. The sun shines equally both on cedars and on every tiny flower. In just the same way God looks after every soul as if it had no equal. All is planned for the good of every soul, exactly as the seasons are so arranged that the humblest daisy blossoms at the appointed time.

http://www.stpeterslist.com/6242/5-quot ... of-a-soul/

Since "science" cannot conceive of, or acknowledge anything greater than itself, it is a wasteful path along the journey to self-realization. It ma work well as a vocation, but not as a path of spiritual development........

One other thing - the manifestation of God in human form - whether your belief is based on Judeo-Christian or Hinduism, never occurs in the rich, well-educated centers of the world. They always seem to occur in the world's poorest, least educated areas.

Take a look at the Marian apparitions in Fatima, Lourdes and LaSallette, for example. The young women that Mary appeared to certainly lived outside the main cities, had no knowledge of word events, yet were able to speak knowledgeably of imminent events on a global stage. Their religious education was relatively poor, confined mostly to prayer, yet when pressed by those "educated" secular officials sent to jail them on "who" it was they purportedly had been speaking with, answered with doctrinally sound, meaningful and accepted language, such as "I am the Immaculate Conception" - a term coined only by Papal Encyclical only recently, and hardly known by a young child living in the poor regions of France such as the Pyrenees village of Lourdes, the Alpine village of Coin (LaSallette) or Fatima in Portugal. Despite the best intentions and work of secular French, and later, Portuguese authorities at Fatima to dispel the young girl's stories, the girls never wavered in their stories over the decades , and what they said would come to pass, has indeed happened.
Last edited by kbot on 08-13-2015 06:02 AM, edited 1 time in total.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-13-2015 01:32 PM

The Gnostics knew all about our souls and the direct pipeline we had to save ourselves , without religion. That made the fledging religions very nervous, so of course the Gnostics had to be destroyed. I've stated this very simply,I leave it up to others to complicate it. There is nothing new under the sun. You can destroy the people, the civilizations, but you can not destroy an "Idea" it will re-appear, no matter how many millennium it takes.

We are spiritual beings having a human experience. Our paths are of our own choosing , Free-will and all that, "stuff". Always makes me think about the saying, "Given enough rope, we will hang ourselves".
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-14-2015 05:57 AM

Doka wrote: "Given enough rope, we will hang ourselves".
:D Ain't that the truth.

I've been reading Gnostic works the past few years - some are just so dense that I have difficulty getting through them. I liked Elaine Pagels' work - I think she was popular 15 years ago or so.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 08-16-2015 05:26 PM

Sometimes the avowed skeptic are no more than disciples.

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”