The value of "Alternative Media"

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

ShamanistiK
Pirate

The value of "Alternative Media"

Post by ShamanistiK » 08-17-2011 02:10 AM

I saw it mentionned here that this would be a great place to discuss the media. That's exactly what I want to do.

It seems like the main thing I end up talking to people about is the disinformation in the media, as they tend to think that what they see in the news or read in the paper is the undisputed truth. People defend what they hear in the mainstream media, almost like they know that there is more out there but won't admit it to themselves. I think it's sad that people don't do their own research- really sad. Barely anybody that I talk to knows what alternative media like Coast to Coast is, so I inform them. Most admit that they will keep on with their routine but some like the idea that there is a different source of information out there. It inspires me that if everyone does that in their own area, things will change that much quicker.

I know that this has been discussed before but I just can't help bringing it up again- freedom of speech is important!
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-17-2011 07:56 AM

Totally agree ShamanistiK. Alternative news resources are critical to get the whole picture today since each seems to have their own agenda..

Speaking of, you must be a listener of No Agenda podcast. If not, you soon will be. These guys see the MSM just like you and I do.

Live stream every Sunday and Thursday Noon Eastern time. IRC chat too:

http://noagendastream.com

RSS link for podcast:

http://noagenda.podshow.com/feed

Enjoy. :D
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-17-2011 09:42 PM

Speaking of, you must be a listener of No Agenda podcast. If not, you soon will be. These guys see the MSM just like you and I do.
You are very knowlegable,thanx for the link!

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-17-2011 10:25 PM

I find more often than not that media and people for that matter that boast about their "alternativeness" usually have the most agendas.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-18-2011 08:06 AM

BenSlain wrote: I find more often than not that media and people for that matter that boast about their "alternativeness" usually have the most agendas.
Nice word. ;) That's why it's important for me to get the facts from other sources on any story/report. The main news services on TV and cable are driven by the bottom line mostly with truth limping in a second-place loser. The reason truth is limping is because honest, factual, objective news reporting has had its legs ripped out from under it by the political agendas of these commercially driven businesses. As long as you can see that is what drives the reports from main stream news then you can get an idea of what the truth is. ..at least in the US.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-18-2011 10:24 PM

If you ignore the main stream sources and only go to the "others" then you are not getting different opinions and are back to what you don't want to be.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

ShamanistiK
Pirate

Post by ShamanistiK » 08-19-2011 01:16 AM

BenSlain wrote: If you ignore the main stream sources and only go to the "others" then you are not getting different opinions and are back to what you don't want to be.
Yup. I wanted to make sure to mention the value of the alternative media in this thread. I still turn to the mainstream to stay objective. Choosing one only to boycott the other wouldn't lead to truth.
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-19-2011 06:07 AM

BenSlain wrote: If you ignore the main stream sources and only go to the "others" then you are not getting different opinions and are back to what you don't want to be.
I didn't say ignore them. Who could? As hard as they are to watch, I try to get something from all of them.

As long as one listens to the MSM with their particular commercial/political agenda in mind, they make perfect sense and you can sort out what they are really saying from that.

Don' t look at them as news services serving up the news one factual objective item at a time, but as commercial entities serving sponsors and stockholders by putting on the best show in the time-slot so we'll buy stuff.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 08-19-2011 10:38 AM

I pretty much get all my news from Fox news, Howard Stern and Facebook...
-Sinner

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-19-2011 02:07 PM

Today it's hard to separate journalism from entertainment, and that's proven by the large number of people that listen to entertainment and think it's news.

I find my initial news on the US news sites, but since so many of them are aligned politically with someone, I find that international shortwave and newspaper sites are a way of verifying the truth of stories.

Sad, but nobody checks facts anymore.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”