Clear and Present Danger

For non-partisan discussion ONLY. This policy will be strictly moderated and enforced. For those with eyes wide open, visionaries, lunatics, humorists (definitely!)

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-13-2011 08:55 AM

Posting this link for the comments...

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... y-way.html
The people who design government dietary guidelines are gagged by the fact that politics and business are so tightly intertwined in this country. Their advice will never directly target the primary source of obesity and metabolic dysfunction-- industrially processed food-- because that would hurt corporate profits in one of the country's biggest economic sectors. You can only squeeze so much profit out of a carrot, so food engineers design "value-added" ultrapalatable/rewarding foods with a larger profit margin.

We don't even have the political will to regulate food advertisements directed at defenseless children, which are systematically training them from an early age to prefer foods that are fattening and unhealthy. This is supposedly out of a "free market" spirit, but that justification is hollow because processed food manufacturers benefit from tax loopholes and major government subsidies, including programs supporting grain production and the employment of disadvantaged citizens (see Fast Food Nation).
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

ShamanistiK
Pirate

Post by ShamanistiK » 08-17-2011 02:45 AM

Linnea wrote: SquidInk - there is so much here - phd level study and comment. I have some knowledge and prior interest in each of these areas - but all this is very daunting when laid out like this.

I agree with you Linnea. I just sat here for an hour reading up on all the sources and links involved.

But there definitely is a way to change the way things are. The ones in control obviously don't care about us. And so we've adopted a lifestyle reflecting that. We sit in our boxes watching tv and forget about our neighbours. The one thing they don't want us to do is trade our tomatoes for honey, for it creates and builds community. This is exactly what they are scared of. What we need to do is get out there and gently help our communities become aware of the issues we face and work at it- together.
Last edited by ShamanistiK on 08-17-2011 02:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
Henry David Thoreau

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-13-2011 10:46 AM

Here's a great example of the integrity of our legal system & our corporate leadership.
In response to a request from the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, the judge issued a clarification of his decision last week regarding his assessment of the constitutionality of food rights. The judge expanded on his original statement that such constitutional issues are "wholly without merit."
  • "no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to consume the milk from their own cow;"
  • "no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to own and use a dairy cow or a dairy herd;
  • "no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to produce and consume the foods of their choice...;"
  • "no, ... Plaintiffs’ private contract does not fall outside the scope of the State’s police power;"
It seems Judge Fiedler is saying it's not a "fundamental right," but rather a right granted us by the state.
- source

Nutty right? Well, 'Judge' Fiedler has only begun...
So, what does this mean? You have NO right (according to Judge Fiedler) to raise animals, crops or even an orchard or backyard garden. You have NO right to choose what food you eat. The government has the right to mandate or prohibit the consumption of any food.

What would motivate Judge Fiedler to issue such a shocking ruling against food rights? Well, a quick Internet search reveals some clues. Within days of his ruling against food rights, Judge Fiedler announced he has decided to retire and will resign his position as judge September 30. He will go into private practice, as an attorney for the Axel Brynelson Law Firm.

I did some research on the Axel [Axley?] Brynelson Law Firm and found that in May 2010, the firm represented Monsanto in a lawsuit concerning a DNA patent. So, within days of ruling that Americans have no right to produce and consume the foods of their choice, Judge Fiedler is hired by a law firm that represents Monsanto. What a coincidence!- source

See what they've done there?

But wait... Monsanto, like all corporations, is a 'job creator' (soon it'll be shortened to simply 'creator')... so even if they act in a way that would get the rest of us thumped with a RICO suit, it doesn't seem to matter.

The real story here is this: the judge was right! Due to the actual nature of the law (and serious flaws in the founding docs), we have the 'rights' which are enumerated - nothing more. Yes, it's was all turned on it's head, probably within the signers' lives.

Fascism folks, plain as day - & a clear and present danger to our way of life which no candidate for POTUS will take time to mention.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-13-2011 10:57 AM

I hear you loud and clear.

Do you recall hearing the old term "conflict of interest"?

It has seemed to me it absolutely no longer applies - it starts with elected officials blowing right by it and it just goes on and on.

I don't mean to sound so simplistic but at the heart so much involves one's integrity.
A man's character is his fate

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-13-2011 11:25 AM

Diogenes wrote: I don't mean to sound so simplistic but at the heart so much involves one's integrity.

I don't think it sounds simplistic. Integrity is what's missing, across the board. Without integrity all the Tea Parties, all the Occupations, all the elections, all the laws, and all the business models will come to nothing. Well, nothing good.

Ignorance of the law is a huge problem too, but people don't want to 'go there'. Initiating that conversation marks one as an 'eggplant brained' whack-a-doodle 'conspiracy theorist'.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-13-2011 07:28 PM

SquidInk wrote: I don't think it sounds simplistic. Integrity is what's missing, across the board. Without integrity all the Tea Parties, all the Occupations, all the elections, all the laws, and all the business models will come to nothing. Well, nothing good.

Ignorance of the law is a huge problem too, but people don't want to 'go there'. Initiating that conversation marks one as an 'eggplant brained' whack-a-doodle 'conspiracy theorist'.

UH I believe in a conspiracy or two.:D
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-13-2011 07:44 PM

Which leads me, Squid, to believe that as these demonstrations start to ramp up, civil war might be on the horizon. Talking to people in my travels there is a common thread to their logic on how to make things right. Before, there was the notion that they could vote and urge change by government. Having seen their fellow citizens now apathetic to wanting to become involved, they feel it's possible there may become a time when they will have to take matters in their own hands, and many are stocking ammunition. A serious sign.

More shocking is the thought that rather than trying for force change, the mindset has shifted more to a need to eliminate those who will not change. A very dangerous and potently volatile situation for any part of the country.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-13-2011 07:45 PM

Diogenes wrote: UH I believe in a conspiracy or two.:D

Well that's what makes the various C2C boards nice. They're generally populated with a more open minded crowd.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 10-13-2011 08:03 PM

voguy wrote: Which leads me, Squid, to believe that as these demonstrations start to ramp up, civil war might be on the horizon. Talking to people in my travels there is a common thread to their logic on how to make things right. Before, there was the notion that they could vote and urge change by government. Having seen their fellow citizens now apathetic to wanting to become involved, they feel it's possible there may become a time when they will have to take matters in their own hands, and many are stocking ammunition. A serious sign.

More shocking is the thought that rather than trying for force change, the mindset has shifted more to a need to eliminate those who will not change. A very dangerous and potently volatile situation for any part of the country.

I hear what you are saying VOguy, and I might even agree with your observation. However, I believe provoking a violent confrontation with the military industrial complex at this stage, with all of it's high tech, & with a combat hardened sociopath army would be totally foolish.

There are better ways. The system expects us to vote, and it expects us to become violent as a fallback measure. Those are the guarded spots - everything has been put in place based on these assumptions.

Better to make your way by unexpected routes, and pass through unguarded spots. Wikileaks & Bitcoin are great examples of this kind of strategy - assuming everything at face value.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-29-2012 05:46 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-impact-almost- ... 56481.html
America's newest veterans are filing for disability benefits at a historic rate, claiming to be the most medically and mentally troubled generation of former troops the nation has ever seen.

A staggering 45 percent of the 1.6 million veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are now seeking compensation for injuries they say are service-related. That is more than double the estimate of 21 percent who filed such claims after the Gulf War in the early 1990s, top government officials told The Associated Press.

What's more, these new veterans are claiming eight to nine ailments on average, and the most recent ones over the last year are claiming 11 to 14. By comparison, Vietnam veterans are currently receiving compensation for fewer than four, on average, and those from World War II and Korea, just two.

What has changed? The nature of warfare? The nature of the soldiers?

One thing for certain: we can never fight them 'over there'... the war will always come home. Time to put out the welcome mat (and start writing the checks).

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-23-2012 08:55 AM

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworl ... ops23.html
Marine Corps creates law-enforcement battalions

The Marine Corps has created its first law-enforcement battalions — consolidated units of military police officers trained to investigate a variety of crimes. Combat in Iraq and Afghanistan has underscored the relevance of such a force, as Marines have increasingly found themselves playing street cop in addition to combat duties.

[...]

The Corps activated three such battalions last month. Each is made up of roughly 500 military police officers and dozens of dogs. The Marine Corps has had police battalions off and on since World War II but they were primarily focused on providing security, such as accompanying fuel convoys or guarding generals on visits to dangerous areas, said Maj. Jan Durham, commander of the 1st Law Enforcement Battalion at Camp Pendleton.
So, when you eventually violate the concepts illustrated in post #33, this is what will you will be facing - combat hardened domestic military patrols. As municipalities declare bankruptcy, and no doubt default on federal loans, will federal 'judges' insist that the federal agents step in to run the finances (like the state program in Michigan), including policing duties? Probably. Will these units be deployed? We'll see.

This is what eleven years of war has brought us. In my opinion, the idea that we can fight the war 'over there' is totally debunked. All the voting in the world will never stop this. Never.
Last edited by SquidInk on 07-23-2012 09:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-23-2012 09:12 AM

My question is; will American troops fire on American citizens in the course of peaceful protest.

Perhaps now, with social media being so standard in our society, the stakes will be raised.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-23-2012 09:18 AM

voguy wrote: My question is; will American troops fire on American citizens in the course of peaceful protest.

Perhaps now, with social media being so standard in our society, the stakes will be raised.
You mean 'blaque bloc anarchists', like every single member of OWS, and in fact a full 50% of the nation comprised of the 'lazy freeloaders'? Soldiers are vulnerable to propaganda too, I'd say the selection process (for the military) actually seeks out those who are most likely to be motivated by the imagery, spectacle, and narrative of the state.

Yeah they'll fire, as soon as the economics/spreadsheet/revenue models warrant it - they'll mow down all resistance, the same way they do the world over. Workaday Americans are the only ones who believe America will somehow not be subject to the same rules as the rest of the world. That may have been true when America was calling the shots, and using programs like 'Starfish Prime' as porcupine quills. However, like most other stuff (except the occasional 'hater app') these decisions are no longer Made in America.

Even if my interpretation is off mark, we still have to assume they will fire, and plan accordingly.
Last edited by SquidInk on 07-23-2012 09:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-23-2012 09:35 AM

voguy wrote: Perhaps now, with social media being so standard in our society, the stakes will be raised.

Social media? It's one phone call away from being unplugged - it's the most vulnerable, insidious infrastructure we could possibly contemplate using. Ham radio is an order of magnitude more useful, primarily due to it's distributed nature.

But that will fail too.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-23-2012 09:37 AM

Well... Sort of. Remember Kent State? How about the army firing on the WWI Bonus Army? What about the covert attacks on citizens, as many have discussed here?

We should all learn by overseas events. Any attacks on citizens, even minor ones, should be food for on line services to disseminate to the world. I would also suggest public meetings and encounters with officials be covertly recorded. There is a history of saying things didn't happen, although witnesses speak the truth. Our society believes more in what they see, vs the testimony of witnesses.

Return to “Pirates and Skeptics -P&G, etc”